Newtown Connecticut...small world and another sad day

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Okay so about an hour ago I get a phone call from a guy from my Ski Doo forum about some stuff I need to buy that he's going to ship to me. He lives in Newtown Connecticut. He sounded all messed up on the phone and said he's waiting for his other phone to ring so him and his wife can go to school and pick up his 10 year old son. His son had just survived a horrible shooting. After talking for a few minutes he says "I gotta go" n hung up. I was really confused about what was going on. So I googled it and found this news video. I can't believe he bothered to call me during all of this going on :confused:. Now I feel a bit messed up too.

update 1 pm: 27 dead 18 of them children, so tragic...

2 pm:Some parents who showed up to pick up their kids were just told their kids are deceased. I'm praying my friend wasn't one of those parents.

[video=youtube;1cqbv-aqoao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqbv-aqoao[/video]

Here's a news article,

More Than a Dozen Killed, Including Children, at Connecticut Elementary School Shooting - Yahoo!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Crazy people these days.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
crazy people these days

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
I live 30 minutes away from all this I'm not the kinda guy that cries over things but this has def. Brought a tear or two to my eyes...

I don't understand how someone could just shoot innocent children little kids age 5-10 disgusting I feel so bad for families involved

My heart goes out to all effected I do not personally know anyone directly involved but this still hurts alot

hrddrv

Dec 4, 2011
As a father to a 3 y/o that I went through a little hell getting and as someone whose wife works at as school as do I this really pisses me off. It really pisses me off that he went after innocent kids. Not that I think that every person should carry especially on school grounds but I do think that every school should have either police or an armed security guard. I also think that every school should have real drills for just such a thing. And before anyone says that we should have more gun control, it looks like he took this weapons from his mother. they were bought legally and registered to her.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
hrddrv said:
As a father to a 3 y/o that I went through a little hell getting and as someone whose wife works at as school as do I this really pisses me off. It really pisses me off that he went after innocent kids. Not that I think that every person should carry especially on school grounds but I do think that every school should have either police or an armed security guard. I also think that every school should have real drills for just such a thing. And before anyone says that we should have more gun control, it looks like he took this weapons from his mother. they were bought legally and registered to her.

No matter how much controls over guns or bans.

A simple guard stationed at a metal detector that everyone has to go through no matter who they are would have either stopped it or gave alarm to it and saved lives.

Yes it sucks that its come to to this reality that we need to lock all doors in a public school but there's a lot of sick and twisted dysfunctional people in this world that we need to protect our innocent children from.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
hrddrv said:

yes I agree 100% It sadly doesn't matter anymore about the great gun control debate because like you said they end up just stealing legally purchased and registered guns anyway (just like the mall shooting the other day). Its a people problem and not a gun problem. and your right, if they had a security guard armed or part of the administration armed this might not have turned out so sadly...and the people who say ban guns are really mostly only taking guns away from the law abiding citizens because as we see it doesnt seem to stop the bad people and in this case sick cowards from acquiring them.

:frown: my prayers goes out to all the parents and administrators and families of everyone involved especially the poor little kids who had to go through all of this.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
What are your thoughts on stopping these senseless murders? Gun control laws won't work because there are miliions of guns already out there and the bad guys aren't gonna give theirs up. And I'm sure not given' up mine.
I was a School Resource Officer for four years of my career as a Sheriff's Deputy. We were trained in Active Shooter Response, just for such a situation as what happened today. And I don't mean we took a class on it, we lived it, every year during the summers. We had unknown scenarios and were sent in with "Simunition", which are Glocks(like the ones we carried) that shoot wax bullets. (And, yes, they hurt!) We trained and were critiqued by some of the best in the world. (Dano Miller of Semper Fi International.) We were trained to go to the threat and stop the shooter. Some of those officers got "killed" during the training. Myself and another deputy (a SWAT team member) were the only ones who survived throughout all the training.(during all four years) I did get shot in my left hand once, but I still was able to find the shooter and "kill" him. I told my superiors that I needed a gun locker in the school I was assigned to so my M16 would be handy in the event a situation occurred, but I was told that would never happen, so I kept it in the trunk of my cruiser. Sadly, a Glock is no match for an M16 or AK47, but we were prepared to make do with what we had.
I think we need SRO's in every school in America, not just high schools and middle schools. Knowing there are well trained officers in every school would be a deterent I believe, but more importantly, someone would be there to respond immediately, and neutralize the threat, if the need did arise.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
Unfortunately. I don't think there is any sensible way to stop these deranged and cowardly killers, who are bent on making a statement or are listening to voices in their heads, or have beef with somebody, etc. Who can predict an event such as this? Our hearts and prayers go out to the parents and families of the victims.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
freddyboy61 said:
Unfortunately. I don't think there is any sensible way to stop these deranged and cowardly killers, who are bent on making a statement or are listening to voices in their heads, or have beef with somebody, etc. Who can predict an event such as this? Our hearts and prayers go out to the parents and families of the victims.

That's my point. No one can predict when or where these things will happen. We used to say, "It will never happen here". But we can't say that anymore. It's happened too many times. We need to be prepared. Maybe all schools should come under federal protection so at least the states or counties would have the needed funding to provide this protection.

DucatiSS

Nov 19, 2011
Yes I said it, Evil People do Exist.
No matter what anyone does, says, or tries to legislate, Evil is still out there. In the workplace, in our schools, in the streets, everywhere.
In a biblical sense, the first human ever born, Cain was also the first murderer. Cain killed his brother Abel, we don't know how, but I don't think he used a gun.
If an evil person wants to kill, rape, rob, or attack, they will do it. We as a society must realize that the only way to stop evil is to confront it head on. Why do these cowards pick a school, or a crowded mall? Simple, they know that there will be no resistance, no one to stop them, and in the end (after they kill themselves), they know the media will latch onto their story and talk about them for the next 6 weeks or longer. Let's us as the general public not focus on the killer because frankly I really don't care about him or her, let's help those families that have been affected. Let's train our police, teachers, office workers how to stop evil when it comes to attack.

This problem is not just here, it is global. if you remember back to 9-11-01, a group of normal unarmed people on Flight 93 decided to make the ultimate sacrifice knowing that confronting evil would mean they would lose their own lives, but they did it to protect thousands.
If you disarm the law abiding population and think that will stop evil, think again. Even if there was a way to take every gun in the world, people would still find other ways to kill, just ask Nicole Brown Simpson.

If you think legislation can help, then lets pass bills that stop evil before it kills. Currently, it is almost impossible to hospitalize or treat a person that is showing signs of aggressive behavior. Bottom line, you can't do anything until they kill. :undecided:

In the mean time, while the nation is focused on the 28 people that were killed yesterday in Newtown, Let's not forget that on average, 28 people each day will die in this country by the hands of a drunken driver. Where is the uproar about alcohol? No legislation talking about bans, no mandatory breathalyzers in ignition systems, no news coverage, zip, zero, nada. :no:

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
I really don't believe that metal detectors in our schools is the answer. We all remember the scene below. The problem with this idea is that if someone wants in a school, office, or where ever...they're going to get in. The attacker always has the upper hand because only they know they're going to attack.

I know it's science fiction, but I love the show "Person of Interest". If only there were a machine that could predict when these people would snap.

[video=youtube;Es2uYtSJh-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es2uYtSJh-Y[/video]

Mrs Homer

Feb 17, 2012
all I could do was cry yesterday. I thought of my grandsons. How young they are and how much they love school. To think of them to be suddenly gone. It would break my heart. I couldn't imagine the inconsolable pain the parents and families are in.

As far as gun controls go, I'm Canadian and I for one believe in gun control.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
My heart ached and I cried for both the children and parents. As a mother I cannot fathom losing anymore children, especially in this manner. I hugged and kissed my babies when they got home from school, but I also sat them down to watch the news. It can happen to anyone, anywhere. My children are no longer safe anywhere im not and I have considered pulling them out of school permanently and home schooling. As a mother....a mother who has lost a child....I am not for stricter gun laws. I dont need our government making it any harder than it already is to protect my family or myself.

Thought I would share this article....

http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http:...Pe_4gBTf68Ii2QOlhDDI0rfleJt1BqTHnzSYpWogT&s=1

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
DucatiSS said:
In the mean time, while the nation is focused on the 28 people that were killed yesterday in Newtown, Let's not forget that on average, 28 people each day will die in this country by the hands of a drunken driver. Where is the uproar about alcohol? No legislation talking about bans, no mandatory breathalyzers in ignition systems, no news coverage, zip, zero, nada. :no:
Agreed. Mourn the victims, but let's look at the larger picture.

Data from 2009 has a chart summarizing deaths among 10-14 year olds ONLY:

Total 3128
Accidents 916
Cancer 419
Suicide 259
Homicide 186
Congenital and genetic issues 169
Flu and Pneumonia 122
Heart disease 120
Respiratory 59
and so forth

Seems clear where adults can make more of a difference. Personally, I recommend controlling access to shoot-em-up video games that desensitized an entire generation to gun violence, and prosecuting anyone who leaves a legal weapon available to a loonie. By now you might have heard who owned the weapons used in Newtown.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:

Total 3128
Accidents 916
Cancer 419
Suicide 259
Homicide 186
Flu and Pneumonia 122
Heart disease 120
Respiratory 59
and so forth

Seems clear where adults can make more of a difference. Personally, I recommend controlling access to shoot-em-up video games that desensitized an entire generation to gun violence, and prosecuting anyone who leaves a legal weapon available to a loonie. By now you might have heard who owned the weapons used in Newtown.

I agree 100% people who cannot be responsible for their firearms should not own any. If ANYONE besides the gun owner can get access to the gun, they should have never had one to begin with. Aside from the violent video games, some children do not have the capacity to understand reality or have any empathy due to mental illness. Its not just video games either, its tv, and its society. We need to teach our children that owning and carrying any weapon is a big deal. It seems like no one looks at gun or weapon ownership as a huge deal because most of us Americans have one and that mentality kind of runs off on our babies as well. I grew up shooting with my dad, but he always reminded me of why I was shooting and what I would be doing if the need to protect myself did arise. I may be protecting myself or my babies, but the moment I fire my gun...im taking that child away from another parent, or parent from another child. That isnt something I look forward to doing, and I hope I never have to. But I want my kids to also know the severity and responsibility of holding a gun or any weapon.

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:

Total 3128
Accidents 916
Cancer 419
Suicide 259
Homicide 186
Flu and Pneumonia 122
Heart disease 120
Respiratory 59
and so forth

While I agree with you Roadie, let's not forget that this son of a bitch killed his mother before taking her guns. We don't kow (or at least I have not heard) how he killed her. It's not like she handed him the firearms and said "Have fun!".

At least I would not think so. There's a reason she had guns. Maybe she was scared of her son? Or her ex-husband? We don't (and may never) know.

Chris

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
My prayers and deep condolences go out to all the families of this terrible tragedy.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
silverunicorn said:
It's not like she handed him the firearms and said "Have fun!".
Failure to keep them in a gun safe where only you have the combo is essentially leaving them on the coffee table. Can result in losing them in a burglary also.
There's a reason she had guns. Maybe she was scared of her son? Or her ex-husband?
A quick search shows she owned five legally registered firearms and used to take the family target shooting. She seems to me to be an enthusiast with a level head, not someone only interested in home or personal defense. Newtown, Conn. shooting: Sandy Hook elementary school gunman Adam Lanza learned to shoot from his gun-collecting mom  - NY Daily News Of course, more facts will come out over time.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
If this woman did indeed leave the guns accessible to her mentally deranged son she paid the price for her carelessness,and sadly the innocent others.Our gun laws certainly could be improved but,take the guns away and then the "new nut job craze" will be sailing an SUV into a crowd of people at 60mph.
What this country needs might be "penis control", we now have scores of young men growing up never having a father as a role model to mentor them through the tough years,someone who they would never want to disappoint by doing the wrong thing.:frown:

Feb 24, 2012
I have been thinking about this issue a lot (have a 3 and 8 year old at home). I know people don't want to be forced to pay for it, but what we really need is solid health care, both physical and mental, for all. That's the only way tragedies like this can be reduced/prevented in the future. I know paying for universal health care is a massive other issue, but can we afford not to help these people?

Feb 24, 2012
the roadie said:
The divorced Dad worked at GE, and presumably would have covered the kids under his plan. Perhaps the shooter refused treatment. Pure speculation.

entirely possible. Also speculative is that the mother had no idea how troubled her son was and that maybe, just maybe, more awareness about mental disorders may have helped them figure it out. Teenage and earlier years are delicate. Many disorders developing more as the body develops can be nurtured one way or the other.

I was lucky to be steered the right way. Jails are full of people who didn't get that help. (I have pretty strong ADHD and so does my daughter). There were times in my early and late teenage years when I felt I could have done massive damage to others, but had enough conflict inside that I didn't act on those feelings.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I have 2 kids with some issues. One is to young to be diagnosed with anything as he is just 4. I have a 6yr old who is autistic and severe adhd. I think he has a mood disorder but they won't test him for it. He also has a defiancy issue, kids with a defiancy issue don't care about punishments or rewards, they simply do not give a damn. A lot of times us parents know...I knew Aiden was different from the age of 3 months. But there isn't much I can do for him because there isn't much the doctors will do and the insurance we have will only provide so much before we are raped for the psychological treatments. It isn't always the parents fault. People truly do not understand unless they walk in those shoes.

Feb 24, 2012
Voymom said:
I have 2 kids with some issues. One is to young to be diagnosed with anything as he is just 4. I have a 6yr old who is autistic and severe adhd. I think he has a mood disorder but they won't test him for it. He also has a defiancy issue, kids with a defiancy issue don't care about punishments or rewards, they simply do not give a damn. A lot of times us parents know...I knew Aiden was different from the age of 3 months. But there isn't much I can do for him because there isn't much the doctors will do and the insurance we have will only provide so much before we are raped for the psychological treatments. It isn't always the parents fault. People truly do not understand unless they walk in those shoes.

I am very lucky that we have very good health insurance. Also, we are fortunate to live near Dr. Ned Hallowell, writer of many books on ADHD. I recently won a 1/2 hour session with him we are taking our daughter to this week. Without the better health insurance (which we do pay more for) we spent a lot more of our money on psych and dr visits.

If you haven't heard of Dr. Hallowell or his books, look up "Driven to Distraction" and "Parenting for an ADD child". Both excellent books full of helpful tips on the ADD/ADHD part.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I seriously Couldn't believe it, what's gotten into people. Serious changes need to be made how you could own weapons.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
fadyasha said:
I seriously Couldn't believe it, what's gotten into people. Serious changes need to be made how you could own weapons.

???

If just staff was given the right to protect themselves in the school, they would also protect the children. The answer isn't less guns, it's more guns in the right hands, and of course firearms education.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Short Bus said:
???

If just staff was given the right to protect themselves in the school, they would also protect the children. The answer isn't less guns, it's more guns in the right hands, and of course firearms education.

Are you saying school staff should be armed with guns :confused:? That's just ridiculous in my opinion. Better gun controls are needed so guns don't end up in the wrong hands. As Roadie pointed out, the guns used in this crime should have been locked up and ONLY the owner should have a combination or key to access them. You'd have a much better chance defending yourself if the criminal was armed with a 2x4 because he couldn't get a hold of a gun.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
fadyasha said:

He did not own the weapons. He stole them.

Gun laws do not work as criminals do not obey laws.

Feb 24, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
Are you saying school staff should be armed with guns :confused:? That's just ridiculous in my opinion. Better gun controls are needed so guns don't end up in the wrong hands. As Roadie pointed out, the guns used in this crime should have been locked up and ONLY the owner should have a combination or key to access them. You'd have a much better chance defending yourself if the criminal was armed with a 2x4 because he couldn't get a hold of a gun.

We were talking about this at work this morning. Of course it's all talk, but we came up with a not-so-bad idea. There must be at least one teacher at many schools who would be interested in qualifying and carrying something on the hip. It would certainly be a deterrent. If not a teacher, perhaps an officer or school official who roams multiple schools during the day. Somebody responsible in each school who is packing would make people think twice.

It's not just this time. What about next time. What about when it's Al-Queda instead of one unstable individual? Unfortunately the only way to stop a crazy person with a gun is a good person with a gun... Of course it might just get that good person killed too, that would be a known risk, but at least there's a chance.

It's certainly something worth exploring.

hrddrv

Dec 4, 2011
Most middle and high schools in florida have at least one police officer on campus. I personally think this should be the norm for every school. Do we still have problems at the igh school I work at? Yes but I do think that we have less because of this.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
Denali n DOO said:

The FBI estimates there are 200 million guns in the US. Do you really think you can eradicate all of them?

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
hrddrv said:
Most middle and high schools in florida have at least one police officer on campus. I personally think this should be the norm for every school. Do we still have problems at the igh school I work at? Yes but I do think that we have less because of this.

I was one of the SRO's in Florida. (School Resource Officer) We have none in the elementary schools. We also need to have assault rifles handy at whatever school we are at, like in lockers in the SRO's office where we can monitor cameras to see who's entering the campus. I don't like to go to a rifle fight with a pistol, and I know there are pro's and con's, but we've held our own in training.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Are you saying school staff should be armed with guns :confused:?

Absolutely!!! But just the ones who volunteer and get educated.

Denali n DOO said:
That's just ridiculous in my opinion.

So it's better for the psychos to be the only ones with guns when SHTF?

Denali n DOO said:
Better gun controls are needed so guns don't end up in the wrong hands. As Roadie pointed out, the guns used in this crime should have been locked up and ONLY the owner should have a combination or key to access them.

Sometimes a gun in a safe take to long to get to when it's needed. Also good luck keeping guns out of the wrong hands and even if you could, are you going to outlaw anything that could be used to commit mass murder? Axes, knives, bleach and ammonia, cars, diesel fuel and fertilizer..................

Denali n DOO said:
You'd have a much better chance defending yourself if the criminal was armed with a 2x4 because he couldn't get a hold of a gun.

A machete is a more deadly weapon at close range than a handgun.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
No matter how we control these weapons of any sort take guns they will make bombs..

Fact is we need to beef up school security. One two we need to take a closer look at getting these kids help. Every mass murderer obviously had mental problems that were ignored or thought to be under control.

We as parents must have the common sence to realize if we have a me tally Ill child or adult living in out home there should be no weapon available in the entire house to get there hands on. Newtown is a quiet town kind of in the woods its not a city where you have to worry about having someone rob you. This family had guns for personal pleasure and its obvious the mother wasn't responsible snuff

Everyone can blame video games or gun laws or crap like that. But minus all those and the kid still had issues and would have found a way to make whatever point he intended to make.. now I feel if he had the correct mental health and supervision this would have been prevented.

Someone said arm the teachers sure In the right hands sounds amazing but we all know anyone can break at any moment and lose their mind so then the next thing on the news is the teacher who was trained to protect students loses their mind and instead kills them all.

Just my opinion

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Badbart said:
The FBI estimates there are 200 million guns in the US. Do you really think you can eradicate all of them?

No I don't believe that it's possible to eradicate all of the guns, 294 million in the US is the number I read. But if these 5 guns were properly locked away it may have been a different outcome. Not all people that own guns are responsible enough to have them and don't have them properly locked away.

Here's an article from the Calgary Herald.

When Canadians hear news of mass killings, their first instinct is to think it has happened in the United States. They’ve been right most of the time, especially in recent years. The U.S. is where the majority of the worst mass killings in the world take place — 11 of the 20 in the last 50 years. What’s sadder still is that the U.S. trend line is to ever-deadlier massacres and more of them. Half of the deadliest mass killings in the U.S. have taken place in the last five years.

What has not kept pace with the killings is any move toward gun control — in a country with an estimated 294 million non-military guns in 2007, or nearly one gun for every man, woman and child, according to the U.S. Congressional Research Service.

After the shooting deaths Friday of 20 small children and seven adults in Newtown, Conn., the calls for gun control grew louder. California Senator Dianne Feinstein said Sunday on NBC’s Meet the Press that she intends on the first day of the new Congress to introduce legislation to ban assault weapons. Feinstein was not alone. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, also speaking on Meet the Press, said President Barack Obama needed “to stand up and lead and tell this country what we should do, not go to Congress and say what do you guys want to do.”

What gun-control advocates cannot do is rely on ordinary Americans for support. U.S. opinion polls have found Americans leaning more in recent years toward support for gun ownership and away from gun control. In a Washington Post piece called Twelve Facts About Guns and Mass Shootings in the United States,” the newspaper reported that since 1990 Gallup has found a decline among Americans who think gun control should be stricter, falling from 78 per cent in 1990 to 44 per cent in 2010.

Yet the evidence that gun control works looks conclusive. A comparison study by the Harvard Injury Control Research Centre at the Harvard School of Public Health showed that among 26 developed nations, including Canada, where guns were more available, there were more homicides. The U.S. had the highest rate of civilian gun ownership and the highest homicide rate, by a wide margin.

In Canada, the issue of gun control has not been resolved. Quebec Premier Pauline Marois, who was in New York City when the massacre took place, said the tragedy showed the need for gun control, Radio-Canada reported. Speaking at a press conference, Marois said, “Firearms are too easily accessible, the lack of control can sometimes lead to what is happening in Connecticut.” She emphasized that Quebec intends to make a long-gun registry mandatory, over the objections of Ottawa, which recently scrapped the federal gun registry.

Australia provides an example of a country that clamped down on gun ownership, prompted by a 1996 mass killing in which a man killed 20 people within 90 seconds of opening fire with an assault weapon. In all, 35 people died and another 18 were wounded.

Then-Prime Minister John Howard introduced nationwide gun law reforms within 12 days of the killings. As the Age newspaper reported, in a government firearms buyback initiative, more than 700,000 guns were removed from the general public and destroyed. Ten years later, in 2006, Australians pronounced the reforms a success, saying there had not been a single mass shooting in that time. Gun-related homicides, suicides and accidents were halved.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
Here in the United States of America our constitution provides that we have a RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS as a citizen. Our forefathers had the insight to realize that armed citizens were much less likely to allow the government to take total control, such as the Nazi's did in Germany. Amended rules allow that a person deemed mentally incompetent should be excluded from these rights, along with convicted felons. These are our inalienable rights and that should never change.

If our government offered to "buyback" our arms(and there are towns and cities that have)I don't expect it would amount to a drop in the bucket. I have 14 firearms and I don't need the money, so you won't see me in the line that's rushing to give up my weapons or my rights. I'm a retired law enforcement officer and I have extensive training in the use of these weapons, but my training was to PROTECT citizens, not murder them. In the right hands, firearms are a good thing. In the wrong hands....how can you keep them out of the wrong hands? You can require screening, background checks, etc., but that won't have any effect on:

1. Those that already own guns.

2. Those that purchase from an individual.

3. Those who steal guns.

I believe this issue needs to be met head-on by placing proper security in EVERY school. I don't think this problem is ever going away completely, but I don't see gun control being a fix for it either. If the wacko's are going to target the schools because there is no one there to stop them, let's put someone there to stop them. This is my PROFFESIONAL* opinion.

*not trying to start an argument on gun control, but the only way gun control would work was if they had started it when the first musket was made. There are simply too many guns out there to account for.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online