New Phone Anticipation - Galaxy S3

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Heck YEAH! I pre-ordered a pair of Samsung Galaxy S3s from Verizon for Mrs. Roadie and me within an hour of when the pre-order site went live last month. Other carriers are shipping theirs - Verizon was always going to be two weeks later on July 9. They don't hit your credit card with the charge until the day before it's supposed to ship, which happened LAST NIGHT. So they're shipping 7/5 - woohoo! Might have them by the weekend. I've never been so excited to anticipate holding 4.8" :wink: of RAW BLUE POWER in my hand. :wootwoot:

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Nice congrats, that phone looks pretty sweet. I was thinking of getting one but still have basically brand new galaxy nexus and still happy with it. I like the nexus bc they get the software upgrades before anything else, just updated to new jelly bean last night :smile:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
The s3 looks pretty cool for sure! I am waiting for the new iphone to come out :yes: the new one is going to be crazy how much better it will be!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Yeah I saw they are changing the usb connection for the new iphone but you know what that fine. Those wires are cheap because I get my stuff from eBay so cannot really complain. Honestly for what they are giving that one thing will not be a problem! Macs, iPad and iPhones are the top of the line in my eyes. Nothing will perform better or longer then one of those devices! Apple is built to last :yes::yes: BUT it runs into if you want to spend the money which I personally do not mind spending for quality.

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ItsOnVoy said:
Macs, iPad and iPhones are the top of the line in my eyes. Nothing will perform better or longer then one of those devices! Apple is built to last :yes::yes: BUT it runs into if you want to spend the money which I personally do not mind spending for quality.
The Apple-flavored Kool-Aid is strong in you, padawan. :wink:

[video=youtube;aXV-yaFmQNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXV-yaFmQNk[/video]

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
People just buy iphones as a status symbol Imo, my apples users say it's the best out yet can't tell you why.. Android phones have raised the bar on what smart phones should be, apples just playing catch up now :-http:/gv=kDsOtdRtG0Q&feature=youtube_gdata_playeryoutube_gdata_player

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Congrats Roadie, I have never bought a smartphone on release.

My first one was a Droid 3 which I bought last September, a few months later Moto says f off, and releases the Droid 4, and drops support for the 3. Oh well a friend ordered the S3, so he is going to sell me his Bionic, at least I will be 4g.

As for Apple, sorry I like flexibility. I can right my own apps, roms, etc if I wanted to or knew how. Apple is to restrictive for me. As for them having a good product they do. Honestly though how easy is it to excel at a single programs when all of your devices use. Android has multiple platforms, multiple devices and multiple operating systems. No iPhone kool aid for me.

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Did they finally get multitasking? (I think maybe they did.) Can they play flash media? Or swap batteries if you're away from a charger? Or add a memory card?

It's a religious argument, pretty much. An article of faith. The Apple fans will put up with a lot to stay in the cult. I look on any cults with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Just don't try to persuade me that an Explorer is better than a GMT360. Them's fightin' words. :rotfl:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Canary2323 said:
People just buy iphones as a status symbol Imo, my apples users say it's the best out yet can't tell you why.. Android phones have raised the bar on what smart phones should be, apples just playing catch up now :-http:/gv=kDsOtdRtG0Q&feature=youtube_gdata_playeryoutube_gdata_player

idk to me an android is a apple want to be in my eyes! if anything a droid need to play catch up...I mean they get a new one every damn month, you would think they can get it right by now but they wont! Every person I talked to droid lover apple hater has had some problem with their droid. I am a performance kind of person and when I had a droid it gave me none of that! after a month it went down hill faster then my blackberry did when I had that. Now to me it is the best because it performances way better then the droid 2 I used to have. The battery is much stronger like much much stronger, never slowed down on me and its been a year. The droid I had for about 6 months and went through 6 of them due to them not working right and slowing down and like 3 batteries and I can keep going on. It is really a apple to orange kind of idea...what you like and need in a phone is where you go and see which one to get!

the roadie said:
Did they finally get multitasking? (I think maybe they did.) Can they play flash media? Or swap batteries if you're away from a charger? Or add a memory card?

It's a religious argument, pretty much. An article of faith. The Apple fans will put up with a lot to stay in the cult. I look on any cults with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Just don't try to persuade me that an Explorer is better than a GMT360. Them's fightin' words. :rotfl:

They have had multitasking for quite sometime now, flash media? do you really need that? No its a phone lets be realistic now :smile: you don't need it and I never did since I made the switch. Why in the world would you need to switch an iphones battery when they are so strong? my iphone shits on a droids battery life any day and cannot say they dont last! Never had a problem with my battery and I use my phone A LOT! my droid i used to have...yeah ill leave it at that lol now adding memory card no you cannot, I have to say it is a down but I have 16gb and don't need any more then that honestly! like I said its a phone, add music and some apps and you still have more then enough! the more you put in mem the slower your phone gets over time!

Now what the new iphone 5 will have will be over the top and will blow any droid out the market you will see...take when the 4 came out and how much of a upgrade it was between that and the 3s..it takes apple 2 years to come out with the best of the best and it between that they make small changes like the 4s was. They take there time to get it right rather then come out with phones and then discontinue them and come out with another etc...hey that sounds like a droid to me lol

over all the s3 looks cool not going to lie..the 4.8" screen (is that correct?) is a bit much to me. I mean I want a phone you know. I have an iPad and that is enough for me lol I am considering giving it a shot though before the new iphone comes out and see how well it is. Let me know how it is Roadie!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I hear the screen size argument alot from Apple fan boys, meanwhile talks for the 5 are it will have a 4.3" screen. As for replacing the battery, LiPo only hold the initial discharge rate for so long, after a certain point it holds virtually no charge. The Droid 2 was not a very good phone to begin with. As for Apple taking their time to make the best of the best. They seem to disappoint and need to make changes for the next platform to add it on.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just picked up a Razr Maxx over the Iphone. Was hardly a thought on which was better after playing with both. No chance of me buying into the whole I-thing.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I hear the screen size argument alot from Apple fan boys, meanwhile talks for the 5 are it will have a 4.3" screen. As for replacing the battery, LiPo only hold the initial discharge rate for so long, after a certain point it holds virtually no charge. The Droid 2 was not a very good phone to begin with. As for Apple taking their time to make the best of the best. They seem to disappoint and need to make changes for the next platform to add it on.

I am not saying I am not upset with the 4s...not that much more and could have been better. I have hopes for them to be that much better for the 5 and to me they better have 4g this time! I have to say the biggest down for the iphone is no 4g...if it had that it would be that much better.

yeah the droid 2 did leave a nasty taste in my mouth...maybe my luck getting that but ill see. If my mom joins on my plan ill take her upgrade and give the s3 a shot and see how that is till the 5 comes out.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I strayed away from iPhones once for an HTC Inspire. Well It fell out of my pocket on a telephone this very week and I now I ebay'ed an iPhone 4. Jailbroke it with rEdSnow running siri and all that jazz. JUST SAYING my expiriece with htc/android was a beyond boring app store on top of the most buggy phone I have ever had in my life. att iPhone run 4G that's a Verizon issue

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Mrs. Roadie got an HTC Incredible a few weeks before I got the Droid X a couple of years ago. This time she asked me what she should get instead of trying to outguess me and failing. I almost upgraded to the Razr Maxx a couple of months ago until I saw what was on the horizon so I held out for the S3. 4.8", 720 x 1280 display. It will exceed my needs for quite a while.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I admit I had an iPhone and the definitely were very innovative but have definitely slowed down a lot. The upgrade from the 4 the 4s was lame imo, Google has been also been very buggy but since ics and now jelly beans came out the software is a step up. The only thing that Apple had was Siri over android but they just came out with Google now and it's kickedsiris associated in a head to head. Been using all week works great! Just my. 02

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
idk to me an android is a apple want to be in my eyes! if anything a droid need to play catch up...I mean they get a new one every damn month, you would think they can get it right by now but they wont! Every person I talked to droid lover apple hater has had some problem with their droid. I am a performance kind of person and when I had a droid it gave me none of that! after a month it went down hill faster then my blackberry did when I had that. Now to me it is the best because it performances way better then the droid 2 I used to have. The battery is much stronger like much much stronger, never slowed down on me and its been a year. The droid I had for about 6 months and went through 6 of them due to them not working right and slowing down and like 3 batteries and I can keep going on. It is really a apple to orange kind of idea...what you like and need in a phone is where you go and see which one to get!

They have had multitasking for quite sometime now, flash media? do you really need that? No its a phone lets be realistic now :smile: you don't need it and I never did since I made the switch. Why in the world would you need to switch an iphones battery when they are so strong? my iphone shits on a droids battery life any day and cannot say they dont last! Never had a problem with my battery and I use my phone A LOT! my droid i used to have...yeah ill leave it at that lol now adding memory card no you cannot, I have to say it is a down but I have 16gb and don't need any more then that honestly! like I said its a phone, add music and some apps and you still have more then enough! the more you put in mem the slower your phone gets over time!

Now what the new iphone 5 will have will be over the top and will blow any droid out the market you will see...take when the 4 came out and how much of a upgrade it was between that and the 3s..it takes apple 2 years to come out with the best of the best and it between that they make small changes like the 4s was. They take there time to get it right rather then come out with phones and then discontinue them and come out with another etc...hey that sounds like a droid to me lol

over all the s3 looks cool not going to lie..the 4.8" screen (is that correct?) is a bit much to me. I mean I want a phone you know. I have an iPad and that is enough for me lol I am considering giving it a shot though before the new iphone comes out and see how well it is. Let me know how it is Roadie!

Somebody's not just drinking the kool-aide... Somebody's snorting the kool-aid powder...

The reason there's a new Andriod phone every month is because there are several manufacturers making them, not just one. Some are better than others, but since my Incredible got 2.3, I didn't have any problems with it. The mic on it finally died after 2+ years, but it's in my pocket in my suit on the bike (so lots of sweat), and lots of metal shavings and such from welding/grinding all the time. It always lasted a day just fine (just like the iphone), but after I got stuck on a plane for 4 hours on the tarmac and had my flight get cancelled, and had to call for a hotel with the last seconds of juice, I got the extended battery that would last 2 days, easily.

So, you're seriously comparing a Driod 2 slider phone (probably on Andriod 2.2?) to a 4S? Yeah, the 4S is better. Andriod is 3 generations past that, now.

I have a RAZR MAXX, now, and the battery also isn't replaceable, but I use it a lot, and the battery easily lasts 2 days. I charge it every day (because of the life cycle of a lithium battery vs. charge %), but it's normally at 65-70% when I plug it in at 11PM (and that's with 4G, WIFI, and Bluetooth left on all day).

I actually use the Flash functionality a lot. Even still, not everybody has mobile sites, and if they do, they're not always fully functional. The flash functionality is a God-send when you're traveling for business and need to get the contact information about where you're going, or need to fill out a form online, that has flash-based boxes. Actually, a co-worker with a 4S has had to use my phone to look at Flash websites, when we've been traveling.

Really, as of ICS, the only thing better about the iphone is Siri, and I haven't used Jellybean's version of it to see how it compares. I used a buddy's 4S during work for a couple days (it needed charged by like 3PM, by the way), to see if I wanted to get one as my next phone (before I got the Maxx). I found Siri to be "neat" but not something worth staying with a 3g phone for. I use my phone to tether a lot at airports (as opposed to paying for wifi), and 4G is SOOO much better than 3G! Not something I was ready to give up for a phone that talks to me, even as conversational and "neat" as it was...

STLtrailbSS said:
att iPhone run 4G that's a Verizon issue

The short version is, that's incorrect. The 4S on ATT runs on their version of an upgraded 3G network, NOT the 4G LTE network.
Some light reading for you: Is the AT&T iPhone 4S a 4G phone or not? | Signal Strength - CNET News

Mike

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
the roadie said:
Heck YEAH! I pre-ordered a pair of Samsung Galaxy S3s from Verizon for Mrs. Roadie and me within an hour of when the pre-order site went live last month. Other carriers are shipping theirs - Verizon was always going to be two weeks later on July 9. They don't hit your credit card with the charge until the day before it's supposed to ship, which happened LAST NIGHT. So they're shipping 7/5 - woohoo! Might have them by the weekend. I've never been so excited to anticipate holding 4.8" :wink: of RAW BLUE POWER in my hand. :wootwoot:

Congrats on the new phones :thumbsup:
I checked out the phone online and it sounds much nicer than my nearly new Galaxy Nexus that I love sofar. (Sprint).

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
As of this morning, I have Fedex tracking numbers for both packages. Should have been Fedex overnight and they were 2-day. Normal 2-day doesn't deliver Saturday so I might not get them until MONDAY now. Sigh....

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Somebody's not just drinking the kool-aide... Somebody's snorting the kool-aid powder...

Sometimes snorting the powder will give you a better idea of what is better!!

Now I am not going to pick apart all you wrote and worked so hard on to convince me with because this topic is a bias topic. All android lovers cannot stand iPhone and all iphone lovers don't care for a android. What you like is all that matters...what you need and use the phone for is what you get thats all.

4G is SOOO much better than 3G!

really? I didn't know that lol like I stated above that is the biggest down fault is the iphone does not have 4g...once the 5 comes out we shall see whos on top and holds that spot!

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ItsOnVoy said:
...this topic is a bias topic.
Indeed. Like religion and politics not being allowed in threads, this one is (to my embarrassment) trending that way. :redface:
All android lovers cannot stand iPhone and all iphone lovers don't care for a android.
That's how jihads start. :hissyfit:
What you like is all that matters...
When your employer (or part of your usage is for business) is picking up some or all of the cost, it gets evaluated as a business tool, not as a toy. You'll have a different perspective on a lot of things in a few years.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:

Now I am not going to pick apart all you wrote and worked so hard on to convince me with because this topic is a bias topic. All android lovers cannot stand iPhone and all iphone lovers don't care for a android. What you like is all that matters...what you need and use the phone for is what you get thats all.

really? I didn't know that lol like I stated above that is the biggest down fault is the iphone does not have 4g...once the 5 comes out we shall see whos on top and holds that spot!

I really don't have anything against the iphone, based on who it's from or what it is. It's the lack of functionality on the 4S, for me, that caused me to get another Andriod phone instead of the 4S. I was honestly thinking pretty hard about getting the 4S this time around, until I spent a couple days with one. There's really not a whole lot for you to pick apart (except maybe the version of Andriod you had on the Driod 2). I stated facts and my opinions about how I liked what it does and doesn't do. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, and 5-8 minutes of typing isn't trying really hard to convince you. It's obvious from your typing that you don't use the phone the way I use it (company travel, customer websites, etc).

Yes, for me, 4G was the bigger factor that Siri (really the big differences between the 4S and the new Andriod phones). If the 5 comes out and is that much better than whatever else (for roughly the same price), next time I'm up for a new phone, I'll probably get the 5. I'm not a "lover" of either OS. I use whatever I think is my best option, and for a month ago when I got it, for me, that was the RAZR MAXX.

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:

I know that Barton bases his decisions on research...not being a LOVER of anything. You should have the decency to respond(pick apart) his reasoning if you actually can find flaw in it.

ItsOnVoy said:

Try out 4g and notice that Droid stepped up and embraced it right away, rather than pawning off a 3g product that is stages behind. The Iphone may be something great for a week or two when it becomes current and has 4g, but then it will be replaced by a multitude of better droids while Iphone users are waiting for the next batch of koolaid to drown in.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
I'm a BlackBerry user, so that makes me a (very) distant 3rd place. :biggrin:

My wife is an Apple gal through and through, but she has been a graphic designer for quite a few years now and PC's just don't cut the mustard in terms of graphic quality for her. I think PC's have caught up a lot recently, but back when she started it was really only Apple.

It really is quite an insight working on her iMac with 27" screen after coming from my PC laptop. The thing I like about Apple is that all of their products are well made and integrate to each other beautifully. They are exceptionally well supported by Apple too, sometimes even after the guarantee has passed.

I work in IT and my current project concerns mobile ordering and payment via a cell phone. The project is limited to just iPhone for now, because the platform is easier to develop on. Android is a nightmare to test with all of it's variations.

I agree that a lot of people are heavily intpo the Apple flavour of Kool Aid, but you can't argue that they don't have great products that simply work like they are supposed to. They didn't get to where they are today for no reason.

The $1M dollar question is what would I replace my aging Blackberry with..?? Not sure. I like the Andriod phone specs, but I also like the Apple product stability and interoperability.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
davenay67 said:
I'm a BlackBerry user, so that makes me a (very) distant 3rd place. :biggrin:

My wife is an Apple gal through and through, but she has been a graphic designer for quite a few years now and PC's just don't cut the mustard in terms of graphic quality for her. I think PC's have caught up a lot recently, but back when she started it was really only Apple.

It really is quite an insight working on her iMac with 27" screen after coming from my PC laptop. The thing I like about Apple is that all of their products are well made and integrate to each other beautifully. They are exceptionally well supported by Apple too, sometimes even after the guarantee has passed.

I work in IT and my current project concerns mobile ordering and payment via a cell phone. The project is limited to just iPhone for now, because the platform is easier to develop on. Android is a nightmare to test with all of it's variations.

I agree that a lot of people are heavily intpo the Apple flavour of Kool Aid, but you can't argue that they don't have great products that simply work like they are supposed to. They didn't get to where they are today for no reason.

The $1M dollar question is what would I replace my aging Blackberry with..?? Not sure. I like the Andriod phone specs, but I also like the Apple product stability and interoperability.

Yeah, in the 1990's and early 2000's, Apple had a better silicon architecture for graphics processing, but especially now, they use the same chipsets that everybody else does.

Yeah, the one really great thing about the vertical integration of Apple stuff is that the software doesn't have to be as "good" and can still have really stable devices, because there's one manufacturer/product that it goes on. Windows and Andriod end up being somewhat harder to program based on the fact that they are much more widespread and are on many more products. This was particularly apparent on the early Andriod phones (2.1 and to some extent, 2.2), but newer versions of Andriod are much more seemless between devices than previous versions.

Mike

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
davenay67 said:
I like the Andriod phone specs,
As you know, Android is just the OS. It's like asking what's the best laptop to buy. It's not a Windows question, it's about whether the apps you need are available on the OS and the hardware specs you need are available from a phone manufacturer. If you need HDMI output, that cuts down the number of phones with it. If you need 4G speeds to be efficient, that's a criteria. If you need a bigger display to avoid also needing a tablet, that's another. If you need to use the Torque app or something else not available on the iPhone, that's a show-stopper. If you need more than 64 gB internal memory, that's a show-stopper. (GS3 has a 32 GB internal and 64 GB card option now)

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
So jealous of you Bill. I'd like to have a smartphone but the data plans prices are a killer.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
the roadie said:
As you know, Android is just the OS. It's like asking what's the best laptop to buy. It's not a Windows question, it's about whether the apps you need are available on the OS and the hardware specs you need are available from a phone manufacturer. If you need HDMI output, that cuts down the number of phones with it. If you need 4G speeds to be efficient, that's a criteria. If you need a bigger display to avoid also needing a tablet, that's another. If you need to use the Torque app or something else not available on the iPhone, that's a show-stopper. If you need more than 64 gB internal memory, that's a show-stopper. (GS3 has a 32 GB internal and 64 GB card option now)

True dat..!! I was over genericizing for the sake of brevity in my response. Android is the OS, with different manufacturers offering additional hardware features. I like the open-source nature, but it does come at a price of some instability in certain apps and bugginess in others. Not a problem for well-developed apps.

What I really want from a phone is a phone that makes clear calls and doesn't drop on me....something the networks fail to recognize. I could give a crap about an 8MP camera if the phone sucks at making calls. :smile:

People's attachment to their phones is scary at times, what did these people do before smart phones. The kids today who are texting each other....why not pick up the phone and talk to that person instead. Scary times for society in my mind.....?? I feel 'rant' mode coming on....better put away my soapbox and retire to my dark closet for a while. :crazy:

Anyway, enjoy the S3 Mr. Roadie....cool phone..!!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
4.8", 720 x 1280 display.

Its actually written as 1280 x 720 lol but I am surprised that it does not do full hd (1080p). I mean not sure about you, but I do a lot of picture taking with my phone so hd is something I like and need personally.

the roadie said:
If you need more than 64 gB internal memory, that's a show-stopper. (GS3 has a 32 GB internal and 64 GB card option now)

so can the phone support a total of 96 gb with internal and card? or just up to 64gb with a 32gb card and then the 32gb internally?

davenay67 said:
What I really want from a phone is a phone that makes clear calls and doesn't drop on me

That is on the carrier not the phone lol Verizon I never dropped a call...I used to have sprint back in the day dropped calls all over and I have buddies with att and sprint now and drop calls. So if your with Verizon then you can choose whatever phone you want...but then again it also depends on your area but verizon is weaker in some states in a area and the others companies are stronger.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Its actually written as 1280 x 720 lol but I am surprised that it does not do full hd (1080p). I mean not sure about you, but I do a lot of picture taking with my phone so hd is something I like and need personally.

If picture taking is important, a phone is the last device I would use. Even the cheapest PAS cameras do a way better job.

ItsOnVoy said:
That is on the carrier not the phone lol Verizon I never dropped a call...I used to have sprint back in the day dropped calls all over and I have buddies with att and sprint now and drop calls. So if your with Verizon then you can choose whatever phone you want...but then again it also depends on your area but verizon is weaker in some states in a area and the others companies are stronger.

I had better luck with Verizon than with AT&T for sure. My point was that the manufacturers still seem more focussed on widgets than phone quality.

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ItsOnVoy said:
Its actually written as 1280 x 720 lol
LOL indeed. Landscape displays on laptops and desktops usually put the horizontal pixel count first. Not sure about Apple, but the phone specs I've been seeing also have the horizontal resolution listed first as if you're holding the phone (portrait mode). For instance, from the Samsung specs:

View attachment 21697

You can be sure I don't write things the way I do without being able to give a reference.

but I am surprised that it does not do full hd (1080p). I mean not sure about you, but I do a lot of picture taking with my phone so hd is something I like and need personally.
I'm not sure about you, but I don't use my phone display for photo editing. :wink: Rest assured the camera is 8 MP, full 1020p HD. The FRONT camera is fewer MP, but still 720p HD. The iPhone front camera is, so sad to report, VGA.
so can the phone support a total of 96 gb with internal and card?
Yes. Samsung has a 64 GB internal option (128 total with the 64 biggest card added), but as far as I know it's only shipping outside North America. So I'll have to live with 96. :frown:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 82

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
After owning the Galaxy S1, and now the Galaxy S2... I used to be impressed with Samsung... Not so much after owning these 2 devices. My LG G2X operates better than my S2.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
davenay67 said:
If picture taking is important, a phone is the last device I would use. Even the cheapest PAS cameras do a way better job.

To me a phone is way much easier to pull out and just grab a picture when I need to, it takes HD and that is more then enough for me honestly! To carry around a camera and spend more money to me is not something I would do. Phones now a days take great pictures anyway

the roadie said:
LOL indeed. Landscape displays on laptops and desktops usually put the horizontal pixel count first. Not sure about Apple, but the phone specs I've been seeing also have the horizontal resolution listed first as if you're holding the phone (portrait mode). For instance, from the Samsung specs:

View attachment 7885

You can be sure I don't write things the way I do without being able to give a reference.

lol I always say it and write it as 1080x720p or anything like that

on verizon website it has it like that

Specifications
Network
LTE, CDMA/PCS/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Dimensions
Dimensions: 5.4” x 2.8” x .3”
Weight: 4.7 oz.
Operating System
Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich Platform
Display
4.8” 1280x720 16M HD Super AMOLED™ display
Keyboard
Virtual QWERTY Keyboard
Battery
Standard Battery – 2100 mAh
Usage time – up to 15 hours OR; Standby time – up to 200 hrs

the roadie said:
I'm not sure about you, but I don't use my phone display for photo editing. :wink: Rest assured the camera is 8 MP, full 1020p HD. The FRONT camera is fewer MP, but still 720p HD. The iPhone front camera is, so sad to report, VGA. Yes. Samsung has a 64 GB internal option (128 total with the 64 biggest card added), but as far as I know it's only shipping outside North America. So I'll have to live with 96. :frown:

Yes the iphone is now behind on the front camera but then again iphone takes a year to get a new phone out with major upgrades, android on its many platforms comes out with one every month or not less and they can say hey lets upgrade this camera or that etc. I am sure that the new iphone will have hdmi, hd front camera and back camera will be top of the line and hold its top for quite a while. I personally do all my photo stuff on my ipad and it does one hell of a job thats for sure! the screen on it is something else lol I think that it is even possible that it will have flash and that bigger screen that was mention earlier...now the reason for the 3.5' screen and no flash is because of Steve Jobs not believing in them and not putting them in. Now that he has passes away and its in different hands that can change. Now will apple go up in different hands or go down is the real question

thats nuts 96gb is a lot! I mean if you fill that it will slow your phone down like crazy! I think rumors has it that the new iphone will come out with a 128gb model also but I am not sure for that...they are rumors after all lol

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
6210d356-f530-1ed3.jpg

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ItsOnVoy said:
thats nuts 96gb is a lot! I mean if you fill that it will slow your phone down like crazy! ...
Yah. I get your point. LOL. I have 8 TB worth of storage space on my home media server PC and I guess as the disks get towards 95% full I should worry about stuttering and low frame rates on playback? :confused: I must be too old to understand how these new-fangled gadgets work. :hissyfit: I'll call my daughter to see if I should just cancel this upgrade and hold out for the i5. :frown:

Except my daughter is 32, looks to ME to evaluate technology issues, and I design chip testers that have tested some of the ICs (camera sensors, ambient light sensors, face proximity detectors, power management, battery charging, digital bitstream to audio output, HDMI drivers) used in the Samsung, Motorola, *and* Apple products.

See why we'll never convince each other? Our needs are different. Our experience levels with technology are different. Our budgets are different. YMMV.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
And actually, I'm not a computer hardware guy, but am also a sparky by degree. It's my understanding that hard drives have the more full = more slow issue only because they spin at a set rate, and start recording at the outer part of the platter, which has the highest transfer rates. As you go inward, the drive is still spinning the same speed, but there are fewer bits per revolution. Not only that, but the heads have to move back and forth farther to read the information, as it's more spread out.

As far as I know, silicon recording media does not have this effect, as there are no mechanical parts involved in accessing data. There is a data rate that the memory chips can through-put, but for a given load, full or empty doesn't really matter to speed.

Mike

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
the roadie said:

Flash is now a moot issue. Adobe killed Android support after Aug 15. It will be pulled from the android market (I refuse to call it Google Play) on that date.... The only way to obtain it after that is to either 1) have it preinstalled by the manufacturer/carrier or b) side load....Just sayin.

Battery swaps are starting to go the way out as well. To achieve "thinness" the Android OEMs are slowly introducing non-removable batteries...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online

No members online now.