Need expertise help on LGM/BCM problem

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Hi,

I have some really weird problems with my 2002 TB, I do have a Tech2 I can use for any trouble shooting.
My truck was sold new in Sweden as a export model, it cam with a lot of options like e.i folding outside mirrors.
I would like to get some help determine if my LGM or BCM is bad or if I just have a broken Cable between the liftgate and the body? I have only replaced the ignition switch so far.

Here are my problems:

1. When locking or unlock with the remote the truck the lights don't flash and the horn do not chirp (dome light goes on though). DIC is set to "both".

2. The folding mirror do not work on the Power mirror switch, I can fold them with my Tech2 so I'm guessing it's a bad mirror switch right?

3. Head lights do not turn on when unlocking the truck, set in DIC to turn on?

4. DIC options are missing, see bottom of post.

5. If I trigger the panic alarm or arm the truck and open the door from inside only the horn honks, no lights flashing, set in DIC to both.-

6. When I turn off the truck the headlights are on for about 10 sec, no matter what time I set it on in DIC

No DTC in any module, however in the LGM there is a flashing yes/no for codes. But when you enter the LGM there is no code stored, if I clear the non existing code and go back to check for codes in all modules the LGM stop flashing for about 3 sec then it starts flashing yes/no again.

The kicker and my headache is the following info in DIC display:

Automatic door locks (working just fine)

Remote Activation Verification, (This one I can see in DIC and it's set to both. But I'm unavalible to change the settings, when I bought the truck 5 months ago I could change the settings).

Delayed Lightning, (Working but when I change the settings in the DIC the lights timer do not change).

Perimeter Lightning (This one I could see in the DIC when I bought the truck 5 months ago, it wasen't working and now it's gone missing in the DIC).

Memory Seat Recall (Working)

Easy Exit Seat (Working)

Tilt Mirror In Reverse, (Never seen this option in my DIC, should I have it or not? I do have heated, Power mirror with folding option).

Content Theft Deterrent Alarm, (I can see this one in DIC and it's set to both, but I can't change the settings and the lights wont flash when trigger the alarm only horn honks).

Display Language (Working)

Display Units (E/M) (Working)

The licens plate lights are working so is the heated rear window and the rear wiper and the RKE except the remote no 1 have a shorter reach then remote no 2.

From what I understand the RKE sends a signal to the LGM to unlock the car, the LGM sends through the class 2 wires a signal to the BCM to unlock the doors and honk the horn and flash the lights, am I right so far?

So were do I have a problem, the LGM or the BCM I really would like some help with this issue thanks.

Eric Hjelte/// swede

Reactions: BlazingTrails

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Seems more like an issue geared toward the BCM to me. I wonder if there is a more recent software flash available for the BCM in your truck?

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I tend to agree with you, I did buy a brand new GM LGM on ebay from Canada just in case (was like half price). As soon as I get it I'll try to connect my Tech2 and download new software for both the LGM and the BCM.

I bet the BCM is using the same software as it was 12 years ago when it was shipped to Sweden.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the BCM was replaced prior to you buying it and it's from the wrong year or model. Or it wasn't programmed properly or proper software loaded. Like the others have said, I also tend to think it's a BCM issue rather then the LGM. The LGM only does a few things specific to it but the BCM controls everything including those options you are having issues with. Options like lighting, alarms, mirrors and DIC menu have nothing to do with the LGM.

I have that Tilt Mirror In Reverse on my Saab. It's called Curb View and it tilts the passenger side mirror down to assist while parallel parking. There is a DIC menu option to turn it on or off. It was cool at first but then turned it off because I don't parallel park that often and was just annoying.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Mooseman said:
Maybe the BCM was replaced prior to you buying it and it's from the wrong year or model. Or it wasn't programmed properly or proper software loaded. Like the others have said, I also tend to think it's a BCM issue rather then the LGM.
Yes sir I'm pretty sure it's the BCM, but the new LGM was only $51 shipped from MR Remotes in Ottawa. I'm waiting on a USB to RS232 adapter for my Laptop then I'm trying to reflash the BCM.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
As soon as I get all this crap with my BCM sorted out I'm installing my remote start, should I make it as a DIY with pictures?

Attachments

• 2015-01-10 09.46.04.jpg
    2015-01-10 09.46.04.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 23

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Does it have an interface directly to the data bus to bypass security and activate stuff like doors?

Any and all DIY write ups are welcome!

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Does it have an interface directly to the data bus to bypass security and activate stuff like doors?

Any and all DIY write ups are welcome!
Yes sir, but I like to have everything in working order before I install more electrical stuff. Makes it easier to diagnostic incase anything about the remote start doesn't working after the installation.

May 5, 2013
swede said:
Yes sir, but I like to have everything in working order before I install more electrical stuff. Makes it easier to diagnostic incase anything about the remote start doesn't working after the installation.

A very good mantra...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
swede said:
But of course. Just inquiring about the remote starter itself in case you weren't aware of the necessity of an interface. No use putting on new tires if the engine won't start :biggrin:

Reactions: swede

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Finally I got my USB --> RS232 adapter, Friday afternoon or Saturday I'm hooking up my Tech2 and see if I can get connected with GM to DL new software for my BCM, wish me luck guys.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Well happy as hell for a while today then, as you can see on the pictures updating the software on different modules worked perfectly for a while *sigh*

Started with BCM, pass update
Then LGM, pass update
PDM, pass update
DDM, FAILED!!!

I tried 4-5 times to update the DDM and all the times it comes back with the same fail on 2 lines (see last pics). So I pulled up the window switch and module from the door panel to check the wire harness.

Didn't see any damage that sticking out on the wire harness, however I did notice that the mirror switch goes to the driver door module and if you remember I had problem with the folding mirrors not working with the switch but worked with the Tech2.

So my conclusion / guessing is that there is a problem with my DDM due to that it wont accept a software programming and the the folding mirrors aren't working.

I really would like someone else to chip in here and agree or disagree with me because buying a new DDM isn't cheap, I need the one with auto window on both sides and heated seats.

I still have a couple of modules to update, like the PCM, DIC, Theft system and the transfer case but I want to get the DDM fixed first before I continue updating the rest.

So fellow whores, you think my DDM is fried or is it something else??

Attachments

• 2015-01-17 12.25.42.jpg
    2015-01-17 12.25.42.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2015-01-17 12.48.04.jpg
    2015-01-17 12.48.04.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2015-01-17 13.36.38.jpg
    2015-01-17 13.36.38.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 26

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well I'd much rather have a failed DDM than a failed BCM.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Sparky said:
Well I'd much rather have a failed DDM than a failed BCM.
Yes of course, but I wonder if the DDM could cause the rest of my problems?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Quite possible. Some have had components get scrambled by the data bus being affected by a bad module.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
:iagree:

When my TCCM died it caused my radio to turn itself off randomly. Go figure that one out :blinkhuh:

marinegrunt

Oct 13, 2012
I like seeing the pictures of the info on the Tech II but I'd like to see some pics of your garage. You don't see tile floors that often expect at dealerships so it looks like you have one heck of a shop. :eek: Is that your home garage?

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I like seeing the pictures of the info on the Tech II but I'd like to see some pics of your garage. You don't see tile floors that often expect at dealerships so it looks like you have one heck of a shop. :eek: Is that your home garage?
Sorry not my home garage but at work (5 min from home), I'm allowed to use the shop when ever I want to, and use the loaner cars too. At the moment we are in the process of building a 170 square meter extension on the right side of the shop, when it's finished I have 340 sq meter + office space to play in.

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2014-12-29 10.00.19.jpg
    2014-12-29 10.00.19.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Texan

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Quite possible. Some have had components get scrambled by the data bus being affected by a bad module.
I'm with you on that one, especially sense my DIC options have been different in 6 months after I bought the truck. It's very possible that I got a bad BUS signal from a bad module that messes the rest up.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
DDM ordered from a salvage yard, $70 with shipping mileage on yard truck 73175 miles. Hopefully the DDM is in good working condition, stay tuned for updates.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Shipping included, that is a pretty good price but it looks like it's coming from Sweden or Europe?

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Mooseman said:
Shipping included, that is a pretty good price but it looks like it's coming from Sweden or Europe?
Yes sir it's from a salvage yard here in Sweden, notice the difference on heated seat buttons. US version say back only - europe say nothing at all.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
swede said:
Yes sir it's from a salvage yard here in Sweden, notice the difference on heated seat buttons. US version say back only - europe say nothing at all.
My 05 says back only, another person's 06 Envoy just has the wavy lines through the back. It led to some confusion and an argument where they swore up and down the bottom button was for just the butt heater, while hitting the back-only button turned on both. I think that's also the year they started doing a lot more "international symbols" stuff, like having arrows instead of saying 2HI, 4HI, etc.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My 06 Saab only has the wavy lines but then, it's supposedly a European truck :biggrin: .

I sure hope this fixes your problems.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
IllogicTC said:
My 05 says back only, another person's 06 Envoy just has the wavy lines through the back. It led to some confusion and an argument where they swore up and down the bottom button was for just the butt heater, while hitting the back-only button turned on both. I think that's also the year they started doing a lot more "international symbols" stuff, like having arrows instead of saying 2HI, 4HI, etc.
I don't get it why they argue about it, look at the LED light that turns on when you press the button or RTFM and you know for sure how it works, ignorant ppl.

Mooseman said:
My 06 Saab only has the wavy lines but then, it's supposedly a European truck :biggrin: .

I sure hope this fixes your problems.
yeah I really hope so

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Hell of a packing from the salvage yard, installing today after work and see if it works. Update the software I'll do on Friday when i get of work @ 3 pm

Attachments

• 2015-01-21 13.23.30.jpg
    2015-01-21 13.23.30.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 2015-01-21 13.24.55.jpg
    2015-01-21 13.24.55.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2015-01-21 13.25.33.jpg
    2015-01-21 13.25.33.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Sib

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Better too much than not enough!

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Looks like too little to me...ends are open. Only thing that held it in there during shipping was the bubble wrap.
Not really, the plastic bands around the package made it impossible for the switch to slide out trough the ends.

Well the switch is working, not programmed yet, so now I have my windows, p-lock and heated seats back. We'll see if this one is programmable on Friday.

When you update a modules software it first erase the old software and then install the new one, on my old switch it erased the old software and then tried to install the new one witch failed. And after that I had a switch without any software on it (blank page) so nothing worked from the drivers door.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So far, so good!

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
So far so good, used DDM updated

Doing the vehicle theft system now, Tech2 sad please wait 12 minutes remaining. I sure hope it dose't fuck up my theft system so it wont start :eek:

Attachments

• 2015-01-23 17.13.19.jpg
    2015-01-23 17.13.19.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 17

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So? did it work?

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
So? did it work?
Stay tuned, still working on something. I'll be back this afternoon with the full story.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
So no or well it kind of worked. The DDM working and I could update the software but it didn't fix my other problems. I'll do a spec here:

PCM updated no problem, ask Garth for a pic of what's included in the latest PCM update.

DDM updated no problem except I still have all these gremlins in my system

PDM updated no problem

FHVAC updated no problem

BCM or TBC as it's called on our trucks in TIS2000 updated no problem

IPC updated no problem

ATC not updated, didn't need that update because I don't have those problems

LGM updated and was successful in Tech2 but in TIS2000 it still have the old software, here I have a problem. Tried 4-5 times to update the software and all the times it sad successful but the software p/n still the old one.

So I tried to swap the LGM for my new LGM I bought from Canada (made in Malaysia), software uploaded no problem but, yes a big but here. I was not able to program the RKE with the new LGM, even tried to load the old LGM software on the new one but failed due to different part numbers on the module.

So my guess is that Mr. Remotes in Canada sent me a LGM made for vehicles with out RKE, I'm sending him an email to check what he says.

Right now I have a used BCM and LGM from the same 2002 TB coming from a Swedish salvage yard ($135 with shipping for both), install it next weekend and see if it fixes my problem ones and for all.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm also thinking you got the wrong LGM without RKE. Have you tried searching the part number in Google and see what comes up?

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Mooseman said:
I'm also thinking you got the wrong LGM without RKE. Have you tried searching the part number in Google and see what comes up?
Not yet I'm going to. I also waiting reply from seller.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
It's wired, hard to find the new LGM P/N online. Tonkin and GMPartsDirect doesn't have it when I do a search on the new LGM P/N: 10381268 but other less well traffic sites have it listed.

If I search on the old one: 25846782 I can find it basically every where, but Tonkin or GMPartsDirect doesn't list the new ones P/N 10381268 as a substitute.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
WTH! I order a power mirror switch too, only $34 :smile:

Attachments

• mirror switch.jpg
    mirror switch.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 15

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
This Saturday I'll be in the shop ones more, see if I can get this shit to work. If this dose't work I'll give up.

Attachments

• 2015-01-28 10.03.33.jpg
    2015-01-28 10.03.33.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 16

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online