minor wreck

airwolf9721

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I was evolved in a single vehicle accident on Friday, January 24, 2014 just after midnight on the way home from school...I believe that the wind picked up my truck just enough to cause me to veer left from the center lane of I-35 in San Marcos, TX over to the left concrete barrier...I was able to get it turned to a 30-45 degree angle before the front end hit the barrier...the truck proceeded to try and climb the barrier, but I was able to control it until the left ear slid in and hot the barrier as well...when that happened, the truck started too slide to the right side of the freeway overpass towards the other barrier, but I was able to regain control and was asked to get pulled over to the right shoulder...Here is what my 2005 Trailblazer LS 4x4 looks like after all said and done...
View attachment 19753
View attachment 19754
View attachment 19755

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Glad you're not hurt when that 250 MPH wind gust caught you. :thumbsup:

Seriously, was it wet or icy?

airwolf9721

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Both...I slipped a little in San Antonio and New Braunfels but didn't lose control until I got into San Marcos about 5 miles from my apartment.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Gotta put on my "tough love Dad" hat now and say if you don't have enough experience driving to know that the FIRST slip was your clue that you were driving too fast for conditions. then at least you chose a truck that's known for saving the occupant's lives in the inevitable crash. The community has NEVER lost a member (that we know of) from a fatal crash and I don't want it to happen on my watch. Please keep some safety margin for your, your parents, and GMTNation's peace of mind. :yes:

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
the roadie said:
Gotta put on my "tough love Dad" hat now and say if you don't have enough experience driving to know that the FIRST slip was your clue that you were driving too fast for conditions. then at least you chose a truck that's known for saving the occupant's lives in the inevitable crash. The community has NEVER lost a member (that we know of) from a fatal crash and I don't want it to happen on my watch. Please keep some safety margin for your, your parents, and GMTNation's peace of mind. :yes:

Agreed on this one! I know i back off the moment i see the Stabitrac light flash on the cluster and feel the truck slip around the same time.

airwolf9721

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
Agreed on this one! I know i back off the moment i see the Stabitrac light flash on the cluster and feel the truck slip around the same time.

Well I did drive as slow as I thought was necessary for the conditions...I was so 50 or less in a 70 and allowed down even further when I felt it slip. However, when it's cold my Speedo sticks and was stuck at 50...I was also in 4 wheel hi

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
When your tires are on ice they dont care what the speed limit is. If its slippery enough I go whatever speed I KNOW I have control of the car. If I am on a 70MPH Freeway and I feel slipping even at 30 I slow down. Being from Indiana I am use to driving in snow and ice though.

Just what I am getting at if the roads are ice covered, I feel even 40 is way too fast. When the roads are slippery I dont tend to pay much attention to speed limit signs, they are there to show the legal limit and on curves the reduced signs are considered a safe speed (in good conditions).

Glad you are alright, I could not get the pics to load so I could not see them. Hope your truck is repairable.

Please dont take this post in a negative way, I dont mean any harm by it. :smile:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Interstates do have minimum legal speeds, but in scenarios like that if a cop decided to be a turd about it I'd be flying the bird high enough to need registered through the FAA.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Glad you're alright.

Minimum speeds are meant to not impede traffic. Sometimes you just have to slow the fawk down.

Conditions can vary every 100yards if the temp is anywhere near freezing. Takes experience. Sometimes we just get lucky we made it and didn't spin out. Other times we are lucky it wasn't worse.

If the conditions are inclement, you will never get cited for breaking a minimum speed in the right or middle lane.

A few days ago. I don't have one from the night before because the roads were not as bad and no one else out, 1130pm, making it unsafer for a few reasons.

Attachments

• 20140130_090408.jpg
    20140130_090408.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 10

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Glad your not hurt... The GMT can be fixed, I think... The pic links still are not working.. Roadie?

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Is there a website with posted minimum speed limit for each state? It is not posted on roadways here in Indiana, and have not been able to find it in the BMV drivers booklet. :/

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Introduction

site includes state by state analysis which includes minimum speed limit info

Quote:

Basic Speed Rule. The Basic Speed Rule requires vehicle operators to drive at a speed that is reasonable and prudent. As a corollary to this rule, State laws usually provide that "every person shall drive at a safe and appropriate speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railroad grade crossing, when approaching an going around and curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazards exist with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions." See Uniform Vehicle Code �11-801.

Minimum Speed Rule. The Minimum Speed Rule prohibits a person from operating a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. However, in order to avoid a possible conflict with the basic speed rule, the law normally provides that a slow speed is permissible when "reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law." See Uniform Vehicle Code �11-805(a).

concept that applies is the basic speed law. contrary to worrying about a trooper citing you for going too slow, he/she could cite you for doing 15 if conditions did not support safe operation.

ice near either side of melting/freezing is not suitable for driving at any speed.

and here is a study that says minimum posted limits is not worth the paint on the sign.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/r.../volume_07_number_23/html/paper_06/index.html

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Juicy K said:
Is there a website with posted minimum speed limit for each state? It is not posted on roadways here in Indiana, and have not been able to find it in the BMV drivers booklet. :/

It is 45 in Indiana.

I did 20 down I-74 with its 70 mph speedlimit going to work a couple weeks back because that was as fast as was safe. Made for a seriously long commute, but did not want to end up off the road.

airwolf9721

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
here are updated pics of the repairs done so far

Attachments

• 20140201_155158.jpg
    20140201_155158.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20140201_155257.jpg
    20140201_155257.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20140201_164827.jpg