lifting

deonlj2

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
I'm new to the Trailblazer ownership group, since my wife and I bought an 05 Ext about a week ago. A guy I work with told me about this site and I have found some interesting stuff so far. I have been thinking about leveling it out and have been looking at a few different lifts. I have also noticed some say you have to use spacers and some don't. I was just wanting to get some input on maybe which lift and if anyone can give some input on why some say to use spacers and others (rough country) say you dont need them. Any help would be great, thanks.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
It all depends on what tire size and wheels u wanna put on. I have no intentions of putting a lift on (I am going the other way DOWN) but after reading time after time on posts about lifts i kinda get an idea that's the way u wanna find out if u need spacers or not.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Check this out first:
OffRoad TB - View topic - The Complete Lifts and Suspension Accessories Thread

And the "will it fit" tire sticky in the Offroad forum here:
Off-Road

Then we need to discuss the confusion about the term "spacers." Some folks use it to mean the disks that you put in the suspension to gain height (under or over the rear coil spring) or (inside or on top of the front strut). And it can also mean disks with threaded studs that you use to move the wheels and tires away from the center of the vehicle.

On our suspension design, especially the steering knuckle, the upper ball joint mount is EXCEEDINGLY close to the edge of the tire. If you want larger tires, above a certain size, you will need wheel spacers to obtain more clearance.

If you just want more ground clearance or to level the front without lifting the rear, you need suspension spacers of some amount to get the front to sit higher.

All depends on your intentions - appearance, offroading (mild or aggressive) or whatever.

No matter what you do, make sure the maintenance is up to date, especially the 50K fluid change interval on the transfer case.

deonlj2

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
the roadie said:
Check this out first:
OffRoad TB - View topic - The Complete Lifts and Suspension Accessories Thread

And the "will it fit" tire sticky in the Offroad forum here:
Off-Road

Then we need to discuss the confusion about the term "spacers." Some folks use it to mean the disks that you put in the suspension to gain height (under or over the rear coil spring) or (inside or on top of the front strut). And it can also mean disks with threaded studs that you use to move the wheels and tires away from the center of the vehicle.

On our suspension design, especially the steering knuckle, the upper ball joint mount is EXCEEDINGLY close to the edge of the tire. If you want larger tires, above a certain size, you will need wheel spacers to obtain more clearance.

If you just want more ground clearance or to level the front without lifting the rear, you need suspension spacers of some amount to get the front to sit higher.

All depends on your intentions - appearance, offroading (mild or aggressive) or whatever.

No matter what you do, make sure the maintenance is up to date, especially the 50K fluid change interval on the transfer case.

The spacers I was talking about was the wheel spacers. I am just wanting to more or less level it out and maybe go a little bigger on the tires but nothing real big. My wife is going to be driving it more than me.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
OK, then the quick answer is that your stock tires are 29" diameter. Generally, but each tire style is slightly different than the "nominal" size molded into the sidewall, you need wheel spacers if the diameter goes over 30.5". There are many tire size calculators you can Google for that will tell you the outer diameter of tire sizes you're thinking about installing.

You can lift or level the suspension to get more ground clearance with stock tires and not need wheel spacers.

The two modifications are mostly independent of each other until you go to extremes as some of us do for aggressive offroading, and get to 33-35" tires.

Welcome!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I just put a LIFT MEISTER 2.5" lift, 1.5" wheel spacers and 265/70/17 tires (about 31.5") on my EXT

0121121414.jpg

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I think the guys have said enough already but still would wanna chime in :redface:!

It all depends on how high you wanna go and your budget. I went for a lift but due to my taste and this being my daily driver I went with the following:

* 2 inch lift in the front, 1.75 inch lift in the rear
* Running stock 17's with 265/65/17's (30.8 Diameter) --> That's the highest you can go without spacers as the guys already indicated
* No spacers

You can use Mark's lift but don't install the upper part of the front spacer and you'll TB will look something like this. If you wanna go higher with the full lift from Mark then I suggest you go with the Spacers and bigger tires (265/75/17's) look sweet on the complete lift :wootwoot:

f3b6296c.jpg

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
fadyasha said:
I think the guys have said enough already but still would wanna chime in :redface:!

It all depends on how high you wanna go and your budget. I went for a lift but due to my taste and this being my daily driver I went with the following:

* 2 inch lift in the front, 1.75 inch lift in the rear
* Running stock 17's with 265/65/17's (30.8 Diameter) --> That's the highest you can go without spacers as the guys already indicated
* No spacers

You can use Mark's lift but don't install the upper part of the front spacer and you'll TB will look something like this. If you wanna go higher with the full lift from Mark then I suggest you go with the Spacers and bigger tires (265/75/17's) look sweet on the complete lift :wootwoot:

f3b6296c.jpg

My truck before spacers and tires. 265/65/17's in this pic

0108121049.jpg

deonlj2

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Thanks everyone for the info. Has anyone used or know someone who has a readylift style lift. I'm thinking of going that way since the strut doesn't have to be taken apart. I dont have a problem messing with the rear spring since it is static but dont really have a way of pulling apart the struts safely. I was just wanting to get some input and there feedback on it.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
deonlj2 said:
Thanks everyone for the info. Has anyone used or know someone who has a readylift style lift. I'm thinking of going that way since the strut doesn't have to be taken apart. I dont have a problem messing with the rear spring since it is static but dont really have a way of pulling apart the struts safely. I was just wanting to get some input and there feedback on it.

Terrible idea, They are very unsafe. Its the most dangerous thing you could ever put on your truck

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Me007gold said:
Terrible idea, They are very unsafe. Its the most dangerous thing you could ever put on your truck

Please explain yourself. I think up to a certain point the readylift style is fine, but I will let you tell me how I am mistaken.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Please explain yourself. I think up to a certain point the readylift style is fine, but I will let you tell me how I am mistaken.

"fishsticks" said:
When I was experimenting, I seem to remember that at the (nonflipped) max upper ball joint angle, the CVs still turned freely. My guess is that the Readylift folks are relying on the upper balljoint as the stop for total travel in their lift. Not a good plan IMO for other reasons.

Flipping the UCAs gives us balljoint angle back. Using a Readylift with the extra travel ability of flipped UCAs would put you in CV bind territory.

So yeah, basically Readylift + flipped UCAs = 2WD, Total Show Poodle, or complete moron lift.

12345678910 11 12

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I tried a readylift for evaluation, and IIRC, Cardone aftermarket CV's bound up where OEMs did not. They may have designed them using a vehicle with OEM CV shafts. They are way over the 1/2" outside-the-strut spacer thickness that Markmc decided to limit his products at. I think Mark and the other folks who experimented with outside-the-strut washers have pretty much homed in on 5/8" to 3/4" as the largest safe spacer to put up there. Am I misremembering?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
deonlj2 said:

You can rent spring compressors at Auto Zone and get your money back when you return them.

deonlj2

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm prolly going to go with the Lift Meister lift. Just one more question, if I go with the new style 3" lift will I have to do any mods to any other suspension parts (UCA, Axles).

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
deonlj2 said:
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm prolly going to go with the Lift Meister lift. Just one more question, if I go with the new style 3" lift will I have to do any mods to any other suspension parts (UCA, Axles).

The old style lift 2.5" was made to fit the stock setup. Anything higher it's better to go for the UCA, better shocks, etc.. You can also do UCA on the 2.5" lift from what i've seen and read.

Don't forget to post the pix when you're done :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Longer rear shocks

Flip front uca

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
fadyasha said:
The old style lift 2.5" was made to fit the stock setup. Anything higher it's better to go for the UCA, better shocks, etc.. You can also do UCA on the 2.5" lift from what i've seen and read.

Don't forget to post the pix when you're done :thumbsup:

I am running Marks 3" lift and all i upgraded was the shocks. Everything else is still fine.

deonlj2

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
I just order a Marks old style lift. I dont have a strut spring changer and not sure if my local auto parts store will be open when I have a chance to change it. Any suggestions on changing the springs on the struts.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
deonlj2 said:
I just order a Marks old style lift. I dont have a strut spring changer and not sure if my local auto parts store will be open when I have a chance to change it. Any suggestions on changing the springs on the struts.

It cant be done without spring compressors. You can rent them at any parts store at any time and keep them for a while til you can do it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online