I'm here now!

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I've just joined GMTNation!

I'm here because I recently aquired a 2003 Ascender Limited and the Trailvoy forums seemed very slow AND several postings said to come over here.

I'm in Queens NYC and I've been wrenching since the early 1970's. I'm very active on LS1tech with over 5,000 posts and I'm the Firebird section moderator.

sigforLS1tech_zps13255ea5.jpg

May 5, 2013
Welcome aboard bro. Got any pics of your ascender you wanna share?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That 99 is a beauty. I miss my 97.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Hey there! i've got maybe 5 posts on lstech lol just when I run into questions about my build. love anything with an ls motor in it, especially swaps

Reactions: BlazingTrails

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Hello! Ascender owners are certainly a rare and discerning breed. As you found - dying forums are a wasteland, sucked of life by greedy absentee owners after the community was ignored and lied to. Intro threads gets 0 or 1 reply at most; tech questions are ignored or answered with misinformation. Here....there IS a here. There, not so much.... Welcome!

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
Welcome to the Nation! If you come out to the Carlisle Truck Nationals in 2015 then I think every rendition of the GMT360 Platform will have been represented at one time or another by GMTNation at Carlisle! Woot!

Reactions: dmanns67

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
Welcome to the forum. I parked next to a black Ascender today at the post office. I think it's the first one I've ever seen around here. ~BOB

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Welcome Paul :yes:

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Wowzers, thanks for all the welcomes! I see I need to hit "follow this topic" for every thread I post into. I'm used to it being automatic.

Thanks for the link Hypnotoad, I didn't know these things about Trailvoy

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I have a thread going in the Member Builds section with a few pics I've posted.

Reactions: jrSS

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Hardtrailz, you mentioned the TA. It's in the middle of being rebuilt. It's set aside momentarily while I get the Ascender in reliable running condition. Here's a shot of some it's engine:
IMG_20140731_185226_273_zps727815d1.jpg

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
RayGumm said:
Welcome to the Nation! If you come out to the Carlisle Truck Nationals in 2015 then I think every rendition of the GMT360 Platform will have been represented at one time or another by GMTNation at Carlisle! Woot!
It would be interesting to have at least one TB, EV, Ascender, Bravada, 9-7x, and Rainier all there at the exact same time. And toss in some SS and stuff because why not? :rotfl:

Reactions: RayGumm

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
IllogicTC said:
It would be interesting to have at least one TB, EV, Ascender, Bravada, 9-7x, and Rainier all there at the exact same time. And toss in some SS and stuff because why not? :rotfl:
Throw in an XUV.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
It would certainly make an interesting bunch. There would need to be ten vehicles to represent all body styles, Trailblazers and Ascenders in two lengths, Envoys in two lengths and the XUV and the Bravada, Ranier and 9-7x in short body.

Out of sheer curiosity, I've done a little more research on the Ascender. It appears that the Limited version (which I have) is on the same level as the Envoy Denali and all LImited Ascenders have the 5.3L V8. The Limited may have also been only available in the long wheelbase

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Question for you folks: Only the Trailblazer SS has a redline on the tach?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Paul Bell said:
Question for you folks: Only the Trailblazer SS has a redline on the tach?
Probably. Everyone else got slight rehashes of the exact same cluster (usually just slightly different gauge decoration, and different fonts for the printing). The tachometer goes from 0 to 7, and there is no redline as the PCM already rev-limits the engine. The SS may also be red-limited, but the presentation of a redline on the tach says "power" when it comes to marketing, and it comes at minimal cost to the company to make this change.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
That makes sense. Strange tho, the owners manual mentions the marked area on the tach.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Weird. '05 TB only says this:

"The tachometer
displays the engine
speed in revolutions
per minute (rpm)."

This is presented next to a picture of the standard tachometer, with the needle pointing straight up.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
The '03 Envoy book says:

"Do not operate the engine with the tachometer in the shaded warning area, or engine damage may occur."

I'll check the Ascender book tomorrow.

The Ascender book mentions the different indicators in US and Canadian characters but none were sold in Canada.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Paul Bell said:
The '03 Envoy book says:

"Do not operate the engine with the tachometer in the shaded warning area, or engine damage may occur."

I'll check the Ascender book tomorrow.

The Ascender book mentions the different indicators in US and Canadian characters but none were sold in Canada.
Does it show a shaded area on the diagram in the book? That's probably what they're talking about.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Nosir, no shaded or darker area in the illustration in the book.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Yes, the Isuzu manual has the same text. The illustration is different but still no shaded area that would indicate "redline".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online