HID FAQ Guide

stunter85

Apr 22, 2012
I'm confused...in the first thread it said the 30000k hids are supposed to be pink? i bought a set of 30000k hids for my trailbazer and they bluest hids i ever seen...kinda wondering if they sent me the wrong bulbs now:undecided:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
stunter85 said:
I'm confused...in the first thread it said the 30000k hids are supposed to be pink? i bought a set of 30000k hids for my trailbazer and they bluest hids i ever seen...kinda wondering if they sent me the wrong bulbs now:undecided:

Most sites I see list 30000K as extreme blue, but if you don't mind me asking, is this a show vehicle? The light output of 30000K is going to be terrible, and you might as well put a sign on the car that says please pull me over. Light output starts dropping as you go above 4300K, most of us are running anywhere from 4300K to 10000K, and I know GotAir likes his 12000K, but thats about the upper end. The colors above that may be pretty, but aside from annoying the hell out of anyone going the other way, you aren't going to see where you're going.

stunter85

Apr 22, 2012
no its not a show truck...lol..just my weekend driver..and yeah i heard that about the 30k hid kits that the light output was gonna be bad and gonna blind people..but i have had them in for about 5 months now and haven't been flashed one time and i have a lifted 2003 f150 also and have a 10k hid kit on that and i can see just as far with my trailblazer as i can in the f150..i was just wondering if i got the wrong bulbs by mistake... and also i live in a very small town...if I'm not driving a tractor and I'm asking to get pulled over..lol

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
harmless said:
Here's a question:

Why is it that with aftermarket HIDs, you occasionally have one light that won't come on?

:popcorn:

My HIDs do that from time to time. I've got a 05 TB and they, like mentioned on here, come on right when you crank the key. Out of habit I cut my headlights off then back on everytime i get in at night. I have also had the occasional flicker from them and am not using the DRL killer (although i have them still in the box) but instead of killing the DRLs altogether, i'd like to find out how to make my fogs the DRL instead of the headlights. Anyone know how to do this? (i'll prob post this question in a seperate thread)

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
BINGA said:
My HIDs do that from time to time. I've got a 05 TB and they, like mentioned on here, come on right when you crank the key. Out of habit I cut my headlights off then back on everytime i get in at night. I have also had the occasional flicker from them and am not using the DRL killer (although i have them still in the box) but instead of killing the DRLs altogether, i'd like to find out how to make my fogs the DRL instead of the headlights. Anyone know how to do this? (i'll prob post this question in a seperate thread)

I remember reading someone that was able to do that so the fogs come on as a DRL but I cannot find the thread at the moment. It is just a matter of splicing the right wires between the two.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
[EBAY]260913012820[/EBAY]

Anyone have an opinion on this version of HIDs?

AC vs. DC?

Plausible or bogus?

Anyone?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
hmmmm :undecided: thats interesting Stef... never saw them with the option of AC or DC...

i will say that 55W is overkill for HID's in our stock housings... people do it.. but not me... 35W is stupid bright...
and i dont see a relay in that kit.. highly recommend the relay as well...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
PLEASE don't put 55W HID in your stock headlights :no:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
My headlights aren't stock... I was thinking of using them as the high-beams - I'm not touching the DRLs. 55W too much for the output or our wiring?

Yeah... Apparently it's a new setup aimed at eliminating that failed firing issue. The AC/DC (not the band) theory sounds interesting and seems plausible to me. I was wondering if any electical experts out there had any input?

About the relay harness: I've read enough info everywhere to know to use one!! So that is in my purchase plans!! :thumbsup:

Imma gonna crossing over to HID real soon... This might be that purchase. If no one's tried them before, I'll be happy to report in with my findings! :cool:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
harmless said:
My headlights aren't stock... I was thinking of using them as the high-beams - I'm not touching the DRLs. 55W too much for the output or our wiring?

Yeah... Apparently it's a new setup aimed at eliminating that failed firing issue. The AC/DC (not the band) theory sounds interesting and seems plausible to me. I was wondering if any electical experts out there had any input?

About the relay harness: I've read enough info everywhere to know to use one!! So that is in my purchase plans!! :thumbsup:

Imma gonna crossing over to HID real soon... This might be that purchase. If no one's tried them before, I'll be happy to report in with my findings! :cool:

:eek: Harmless doesn't have HID's in the lows? lol Arent your halos the DRL's? Plus in Canada you have to have DRL's right?

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
:eek: Harmless doesn't have HID's in the lows? lol Arent your halos the DRL's? Plus in Canada you have to have DRL's right?

No, my halos are for show. Kinda like the Audi & BMW lights. Pretty, but not much more.

I have DRL/Low and Highs. All functional.

Canadian Mike said:
Unfortunately, yes, DRL's are mandatory.

And I'm ok with that.

I'm bucking traditional uses of HIDs. Hell, I buck anything traditional. That's what makes me fun(ny). :biggrin:

My plan is to keep the DRL/Lows stock (but using Euro Lite Xenon bulbs) and putting HIDs in the High beams. Maybe the fogs. Maybe.

That's why I tought the 55W setup would be adequate. I'm not gonna run them all the time, but coupled with the 6HI mod I have, light output would be phenominal! :yes:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
harmless said:
No, my halos are for show. Kinda like the Audi & BMW lights. Pretty, but not much more.

I have DRL/Low and Highs. All functional.

Oh ok I thought with the aftermarket ones the DRLs switch over to the halos

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Oh ok I thought with the aftermarket ones the DRLs switch over to the halos

Nope. If setup the way they instruct, they come on WITH the DRLs. Uglee.

I've got mine on a seperate switch. I can turn off my DRLs and turn the halos on for that Beemer effect. :thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
harmless said:
Nope. If setup the way they instruct, they come on WITH the DRLs. Uglee.

I've got mine on a seperate switch. I can turn off my DRLs and turn the halos on for that Beemer effect. :thumbsup:

Yeah great choice on that lol both will not look so hot! Just need some HIDs in there and she's gonna have a nice set of eyes :biggrin: harmless but can be deadly lol

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Yeah great choice on that lol both will not look so hot! Just need some HIDs in there and she's gonna have a nice set of eyes :biggrin: harmless but can be deadly lol

Yup. Still have no solid input on whether to go 35W or 55W for the high beams though. Just waiting on that tibit of info to purchase my kit.

VVME is standing by with my request. :biggrin:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
harmless said:
Yup. Still have no solid input on whether to go 35W or 55W for the high beams though. Just waiting on that tibit of info to purchase my kit.

VVME is standing by with my request. :biggrin:

I would go 55w for high beams all day! 35watt will be nothing for Highs. Now to me you should go with a vvme or ddm kit and get a relay so the factory pig tails don't get killed bc of the extra watts. Only down fault for high beam hids is warm up time. So flashing someone does nothing lol unless you get bixeonons then your talking :biggrin:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
AC vs DC HIDs

A little late in my game to post that, but I couldn't find it again till just now...

Any input?

I just realised how bad the spelling is on that page... Lord. That doesn't bode well. :redface:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Well, I wanna keep the most factory functions working so Imma always looking to do things a little differently.

So I got the 6HI mod from 06envoy which allows me to keep all factory tricks.
I'm putting the HIDs in the High Beams because I use them at night. I don't need HIDs during the day. That's just silly. I need the extra light at night. By doing this, I don't need to worry about DRLs at all. (Mine turn on as soon as I crank, BUT I can turn them off anytime via the switch).

So this is what I'm getting from VVME:

For my specific application, I require a kit that will fit the plugs of a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer.
It needs to have H1 bulbs.
Single Beam.
55W.
5000K color.
A relay harness.
The new AC system/kit.

Special order. 72 bucks shipped. Not bad.

Should be here by Tuesday! :wootwoot:

When I hit the 6HI, people will get sunburns! :biggrin:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
harmless said:
Single Beam.
55W.
5000K color.

Just letting you know the 55w kit does wash the color out so that 5k will give out the 4300k color out.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ItsOnVoy said:
Just letting you know the 55w kit does wash the color out so that 5k will give out the 4300k color out.

Is that also true for the AC HID's?

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Is that also true for the AC HID's?

They say it won't. The DC setup, with the way the spark runs causes corrosion/carbonation of the anodes which leads to spark failure and the light fade. Apparently, with the AC setup and the way the spark runs is course, these problems are avoided. :undecided:

I will soon find out. :thumbsup:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Dude, I still haven't figured out how you managed to do that via the switch... you're gonna hafta show me again...

I did nothing!! She came like that!! :confused:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mine turn off via switch as well. Nice stock feature.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
CdnGMan said:
I must be doing something wrong then... :confused:
As far as I can tell, mine don't shut off via the switch... I shall check it again tho..

Does anything happen in yours when you turn the light switch to the left? Maybe they didn't have that feature for northward bound trucks. In ours you can turn the switch one notch to the left and it springs back, kills the DRL, do it again, and the DRL come back.

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
SBUBandit said:
Does anything happen in yours when you turn the light switch to the left? Maybe they didn't have that feature for northward bound trucks. In ours you can turn the switch one notch to the left and it springs back, kills the DRL, do it again, and the DRL come back.

Thanks for the insight... you too Carlton (he's been helping me via PM)!! :thumbsup:

It appears as though my switch doesn't have that ability or functionality (see below)...

View attachment 21836

You'll notice that there is only 3 options and not 4 as some of you have described... (the green light indicates that the lows are running as my headlights and NOT in DRL mode)

I'm going to assume that it's to ensure that the DRL's can't be turned off, seeing as how it's mandatory for them up here...

This reason alone is making the case for HIDs in my lows a tough one... I see no reason to run them at 100% all the time, hence blowing the ballasts prematurely... so, I may end up running HIDs in my hi-beams and grab a set of Euro-lights for my lows - I believe Stef is going to do the very same thing... :undecided:

Attachments

• IMG_2958.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 25

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I run my hid's at 100% in my lows. I think only having them in the highs is a waste. Couple years and no issues w ballasts from vvme.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
CdnGMan said:
You'll notice that there is only 3 options and not 4 as some of you have described..

What are the chances that this could be as simple as trying to swap your switch with one from south of the border? Not sure if there is more stuff going on in the BCM, but it would be interesting to know if it would work.

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
SBUBandit said:
What are the chances that this could be as simple as trying to swap your switch with one from south of the border? Not sure if there is more stuff going on in the BCM, but it would be interesting to know if it would work.

That's a good question, after after doing some searching, I found this:

[EBAY]290736543215[/EBAY]

It appears to be simply plug & play, but I wonder if anything would need to be done to the BCM... or does the switch do that?
Anyone care to venture a guess?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Alright guys dont mean to interrupt the conversations I have always wanted these damn things but something always came up anyway I think Im ready now. VVME 35w Lows 6000k and I want to do yellow in the fogs heres my ? yellow HIDs really worth it??
Or can I go with the ricer special yellow tinted bulbs for $9

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I run my hid's at 100% in my lows. I think only having them in the highs is a waste. Couple years and no issues w ballasts from vvme.

Here's my take on that (and why I'm doing it the way I am):

I do most of my driving during the day. I don't need extra light output during this time. That's just silly. That's what the sun is for. When I do drive at night, most of the roads I travel have poor to no lighting, so I drive with my Highs on 99% of the time. Logic dictates you'd put extra lighting where needed, so I choose my Highs. It'll be there for when I need it most - and with that 6HI mod I have, the 0.2 second firing time won't bug me cause I'll still have plenty of light from the fogs and lows till the portable sunshine bulbs kick in. :biggrin:

CdnGMan said:
It appears to be simply plug & play, but I wonder if anything would need to be done to the BCM... or does the switch do that?

I'm willing to venture that it's plug and play. No changes needed.

You can add that to your list of "Things for Stef to do" if you like. I've taken my dash apart enough times to know that'll be a short job to do.

STLtrailbSS said:
Alright guys dont mean to interrupt the conversations I have always wanted these damn things but something always came up anyway I think Im ready now. VVME 35w Lows 6000k and I want to do yellow in the fogs heres my ? yellow HIDs really worth it??

Interesting.

With the ricer yellow you'd just get a color change for the light output.

With the HIDs, you'd get a color change AND a better output.

:undecided:

For the 9 bucks, I'd try that first to see if you even like the difference first, then go from there. :smile:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
CdnGMan said:
That's a good question, after after doing some searching, I found this:

[EBAY]290736543215[/EBAY]

Wow I do not have the 4 thing option just 3 also, if its plug and play then I am down for this mod! Will make it way easier to kill the drls for the ride!

STLtrailbSS said:

Yeah HID's would be the way to go!! The 3000k will give you a ton of light but its a big jump from 6k and will look way different, here are a couple of pic how they would look, not as blue on the lows tho :thumbsup:

SS_Trailblazer_HID_lights2-255x300.jpg

heres a white one which can give you an idea of how yours would look
img0839b.jpg

how they will look on the ground
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Just do not forget a relay harness for each kit :thumbsup:

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
I have 8k lows and 3k fogs - at night when the colors mix it looks like daylight. Light output is perfect IMO

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Irishboy02 said:
I have 8k lows and 3k fogs - at night when the colors mix it looks like daylight. Light output is perfect IMO

Does the 3k tint the fogs yellow?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I meant as in when the lights are off, does it tint the housing yellow? I have seen some cars that have a yellow tint to the, where the chrome is in the housing so that's why I'm asking

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
I meant as in when the lights are off, does it tint the housing yellow? I have seen some cars that have a yellow tint to the, where the chrome is in the housing so that's why I'm asking

I apologize i miss understood you. No, the lens is clear as if theres nothing in them.
IMG_7935.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danbrennan