Help your friendly moderator choose a path.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
As some of you may know, I bought an s10 a couple of months ago. It's a 98 rcsb with the 4.3 and a stick shift. I got it for $1500(got ripped off, but it was a dealer so it was expected). I have since put about $750 worth of parts into it, plus my time. It still needs some work, but that is to be expected. I have been unhappy with the interior space. My idea of a fix was to get a bed cap and make a 3/4 walk through. It'll be great IF it gets done. I got the cap, but before starting any major surgery I decided to put a feeler out on CL to see if anything promising came back. I have gotten three offers in the past week, and they have all been S-Series trucks. My wife says keep mine, my brother doesn't really care, and my other buddies all have differing opinions. I thought it best to consult the forum. You guys always seem to have opinions:raspberry: The choice is between(they al need some work, including mine). Keep in mind, this will be a daily driver and I will be getting a second vehicle in that fall:

1. Keep mine and see the project through. Lots done and lots needed. DD, inspection up in August:
IMAG0643.jpg

2. 2002 ZR2 Blazer. Body damage, needs tires, brakes, maybe hidden damage. DD, good inspection:
downsized950626021021.jpg

3. 1990 s10 Blazer 4x4. Nice shape, 150k miles, no form of interior behind the front seats. DD, good inspection:
5N65F95J73E33M53Jcc5n2aa5cca870661cf6.jpg

4. 1991 ext cab s10. 350 swap with 700r4 trans. Runs well but hasnt been on the road regularly lately. Carbed swap, A/C delete.
imagejpeg952-1.jpg

imagejpeg952_3.jpg

06envoydenali

Dec 5, 2011
3. 1990 s10 Blazer 4x4. Nice shape, 150k miles, no form of interior behind the front seats. DD, good inspection:

MY opinion, is this i love the aggressive square tough look of it, plus it kinda reminds me of the bronco (one of my favorite old trucks):cool:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Keep your S-Dime and see the project through, but loose the cap.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Ok, I don't see there being any end to this trend. At first it was up down up down up down.... Now you have moved on to being willing to move on to different vehicles? When you first started to talk about getting out of the TB you had a very specific list of wants in the next truck. You found the truck that fit those wants and decided to move on. Now that the timeline isn't moving fast enough your ready to move on again? I would say stick with what your list was originally, if your current truck fits that list then go with it and just be patient.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Matt, I think the real problem is wanting two different vehicles and only having a budget for one. Yes, this is a case of wanting the project to move faster than it is AND not being 100% confident in my decision. That is the whole idea of a forum to me. Being able to get the opinions that helps with decisions like this....let's face it, none of my friends/peers give half a shit what I drive. I rely on these places to help me choose the best path. My thoughts are not always rational. Yes, I should have kept my tb. Did I? No. Best I can do is make the situation turn out as positively as possible.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
You are as bad as me. I go through cars fast. I have a faster turnover rate than most used car lots! You need ot force yourself to live with what you have until you really figure out what you want/can afford.

oh.... and lose the cap, lower it, tune it, paint it, but what ever you do... DO NOT DRAG IT!!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
smitty5150 said:
Matt, I think the real problem is wanting two different vehicles and only having a budget for one. Yes, this is a case of wanting the project to move faster than it is AND not being 100% confident in my decision. That is the whole idea of a forum to me. Being able to get the opinions that helps with decisions like this....let's face it, none of my friends/peers give half a shit what I drive. I rely on these places to help me choose the best path. My thoughts are not always rational. Yes, I should have kept my tb. Did I? No. Best I can do is make the situation turn out as positively as possible.

Well then the solution is to get another one :raspberry:

Oh we're so much help aren't we :crazy:

My concern on the last two is they are both over 20 years old now. Is it a good idea to DD a 20 year old vehicle?

Any background info on the option 2, like where the body damage came from? Trail scars or accident, that type of thing.

I don't fully understand the 3/4 walk through.. HOW do you walk through it?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I'm with Sparky....Just get another TB :biggrin:

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
I did not care of the last-gen S-10 pickups or the Blazers based on them. God-awful interiors and the 4.3L guzzles gas on the interstate like a full-size. I didn't care for the seating position either. Unless I got a screaming deal on one, I wouldn't get one.

If I wanted/needed a small beater pickup, I'd look for a 4-cyl Ranger or B-series. Good gas mileage, good reliability, cheap parts, common, better interiors than the comparable GM products.

If I wanted/needed a beater SUV, I'd look for a 6-cyl Jeep Cherokee. Gas mileage is mediocre at best, but the engines are fairly robust. Relatively simple vehicle with a classic body. Suspension can be mild or wild, depending on your desire and wallet. The supply of unmolested, sub 100k mile examples is drying up though.

For a plain old cheap commuter car, S-series Saturn is what I'd get.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I guess it depends on what you need.
What do you need? Why is the interior space on the S10 not enough? Do you have a few kids?
Could you use a tool box to give you the space you need? What about a camper shell opening side windows?
Until we know what your needs are it will be hard to really know which way you should go.
I know you need something dependable other than that we don't have much to go on.

My dad always taught me to trade up not down, the only thing I see in your list I would go for is the ZR2.
If the damage checks out, brakes/tires are no biggie, you can likely find the parts you need at the JY.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
one other thought about the 3/4 walk through, will that even work? I expect would expect most any way you connect the cab to the bed would be unlikely to hold up to any kind of flex. I know it can be done with the right skills/equipment/$$$ but do you have/have access to those things?

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
The interior space is more of a want than a need. Try going from an suv to a mini truck.....takes getting used to. That is my only gripe about the truck. The idea for the walk through is to create the accessible space from inside the vehicle. I use it to transport myself and, at the most, my wife. We have a wagon that we use when needed. I also use it for mobile detailing jobs...this is another reason the cap is beneficial. Protected, lovable storage.

For those unfamiliar with a walk through, it is a mod made popular in the 80s/90s mini truck scene. The cab and bed/cap are cut out amd fused together. To weld this would make the body too rigid and it would crack. Instead, an accordion style seal can be used to maintain flexibility. So yes, I have to tools, part access, knowledge, and skill. The benefit is accessible storage and a place for subwoofers. This is, however, a permanent mod and a big step. This is why I wanted to look at options before moving forward.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
smitty5150 said:
This is, however, a permanent mod and a big step. This is why I wanted to look at options before moving forward.

Not permanent. My buddy did a couple and put the cab back on and no one would ever know they were cut and he never told them when he sold em. I kinda like the walk throughs.

I would go for either of the 4x4 blazers. Both have bolt-on SAS kits available for when they get demoted in a year or two and become a trail toy. I would pick the one the runs better and go with it.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
gotcha man.
personally if the ZR2 checked out ok, I would make that trade, put new brakes and tires on it and fix the cosmetic stuff as I had time/$$$.
If the ZR2 doesn't check out then I would lean toward keeping the S10, possibly doing the changes you mentioned while not sinking a lot of money in it and see what else comes along.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I want one of those late 80s/early 90s Blazers and make my own Typhoon, leave the exterior looking like @$$ but drop the LS2 out of my SS into it and make a mean AWD sleeper. :cool:

Id either keep what you have or get the Blazer.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I say u do what u think needs to be done. If u wanna know my opinion...go with a ride that already has a big engine. Only cuz it is fun and seems that's what u want but get one that has some roominess. Like a tb SS or silvy SS. The 5.3's r sweet too. Plus u already know the suspension setup and what it costs to do what. So I say TB.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
well since i am/was kinda in the same boat.. i'll add my .02...

naturally the overwhelming concensus here will be to get the TB... just like they all pulled/pushed me to keep my SS after my new motor was installed.. so heres what it boils down to since i decided to keep my SS (for now lol)

you know the TB inside and out... and have a history with one.. so you know what to look for, and you know what to look after once you have one... then theres your current ride... now that youre working on it, youre starting to know it like you do the TB... you have plans for it, and have already started modding it to your liking...

moral of my input... keep the current ride... if you do get rid of it and want something else.. upgrade to the TB and ditch all the other options... :twocents:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Boricua SS said:
upgrade to the TB SS and ditch all the other options... :twocents:

^^^Fixed^^^
OR

You could keep your current ride, and buy me a TB SS :biggrin:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Voymom said:
^^^Fixed^^^

touché :rotfl:... he did say he wanted power didn't he lol...

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Yes, he does ultimately want power. Honestly, a tbss would be the perfect vehicle. I just dont want the payments. I am trying to get my business off the ground, and we are starting to look into options for purchasing a home. My fun budget is very modest right now, it will disappear if I take on a payment and higher insurance. He also wants a lifted rig, and the plan is to have one of each. I think I'm going to give my truck one more inspection to really determine if it is worth the work needed. If not, ill trade for a more solid base and go from there.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Think I have found a little frame damage from a previous accident. Seems every time I turn around, something else is showing up. I may have to take it somewhere to get it checked, some things just aren't lining up the way they should. If thats the case, getting rid of it asap is the name of the game. The zr2 flaked out, and I don't want to risk using a v8 swapped vehicle that has been sitting. Based on the current offerings, it leaves the blazer as the likely choice.

One thing that I forgot to mention....my truck has a salvage title. It has made it a very hard sell. I almost feel like Amy trade is a trade up if I end up with a clear title.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
04envoyxlv8

Members Online