Headlamp question

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone,

I really want to upgrade my headlamps in my 2007 Trailblazer LT. I spend a lot of time on dark, back country roads and I just don't get enough light on the road. I have done the 6HI mod and it helps a little bit but not enough.

I would like to get some aftermarket headlamps to replaced my scratched up OEM lamps. I know that there is nothing available in the aftermarket for the LT but there are several options for the LS.

My question is what is required to install the LS headlamps in a LT vehicle? Are there more parts required than the LS grill with the bar? Has anyone ever cut off the ends of the bar and just installed them in the headlamps, keeping the 07 grill? Are there any other options that I am missing?

I look forward to hearing any input, suggestions, ideas, or thoughts. Thanks in advance for the help everyone! Have a great day!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The LS lights will mount right up. Some people have done what you've described, just cutting the ends off an LS grille and sticking them on the lights, others have used an SS grille. If you use a full LS grille, you'll have a funny gap where the LT bumper has the step down.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Blckshdw

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Thank you for the input, guys. Does anyone have any pics of the grill gap from using the LS grill on a LT that Sparky was referring to?

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
On the heels of my LT to LS headlamp change, I am looking for some additional information.

1) Will aftermarket headlamps such as Spyder provide any improvement in headlight brightness or performance other than being crystal clear as opposed to scratched stock headlamps?

spec_d_2LHP-TBLZ02JM-V2-RS.jpg

2) If the answer to question 1 is no or minimal, what is the better option? HIDs or LEDs? I know that HIDs are more expensive and require retrofitting or the purchasing the HID adapter for these headlamps.

I have also heard that LEDs are usually a simpler install, sometimes needing to modify the housing just to get the clearance for the heat sinks. The big concern I have is the possibility of the headlamps icing up during the winter. Has anyone had any experience with them icing up?

3) What setups are most people running? I am curious about the combination of highs, lows, and fog lamps.

Thanks again everyone! Have a great day!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Thank you for the input, guys. Does anyone have any pics of the grill gap from using the LS grill on a LT that Sparky was referring to?

If you look at your front bumper, you'll see where the dip is to accommodate the grille. The LS grille goes straight across, lined up with the bottom of the headlights. That's the size gap you'd be dealing with.

1) Will aftermarket headlamps such as Spyder provide any improvement in headlight brightness or performance other than being crystal clear as opposed to scratched stock headlamps?

Not necessarily an improvement in output. If you get the standard reflector bowl style, then it should be indistinguishable from what you have now, except for clear lenses. The projectors, I believe are halogen based not HID. Confirm with whoever you may be purchasing from. As many can attest to, if you put an HID bulb in a halogen projector, the output looks like crap. :no:

2) If the answer to question 1 is no or minimal, what is the better option? HIDs or LEDs? I know that HIDs are more expensive and require retrofitting or the purchasing the HID adapter for these headlamps.

No real 'adapter' would be needed. With either setup, you'll have the bulbs, a driver/ballast to power them, and we recommended using a relay harness to pull power from the battery, instead of through the small gauge wiring inside the headlight assemblies.

3) What setups are most people running? I am curious about the combination of highs, lows, and fog lamps.

Whether you need quads or the 6-hi mod is mostly subjective, and depends on the environments you do most of your night driving in. During your usual city/highway driving, you don't necessarily want to cruise with your fogs on, when there's no fog. The increase in foreground light effectively reduces your long distance vision.

If you go with a bixenon projector setup, then quad beams is required so the light stays on when the shield drops. I'm not sure if the ones pictured above are low beam only projectors or not.

If you go with an HID setup in the low beams, quad beams are highly recommended, as there can be a small warm up time for the HIDs to get back to full brightness after being switched off.

We do have an HID FAQ thread, if you're considering going that route, you may want to spend some time skimming through that to see what other questions people may have asked that could be beneficial in deciding which route you'd like to go. :thumbsup:

Reactions: xavierny25

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011

spec_d_2LHP-TBLZ02JM-V2-RS.jpg

I have also heard that LEDs are usually a simpler install, sometimes needing to modify the housing just to get the clearance for the heat sinks. The big concern I have is the possibility of the headlamps icing up during the winter. Has anyone had any experience with them icing up?

Thanks again everyone! Have a great day!

1. I have those lights. They will not play nice with HID. Pissed me off, but they have dark spots and bring the suck. The projectors just are not made for HID. My high-dollar Osram Halogen did ok in them, but I hated the color temp. I now have some cheap LED and they are not bad, but would like to get a better set to gain a bit more output. However I dont have the dark spots with the LED.

2. I would much rather go back to my HID if they would play nice with these projectors, but cant do the spotting. I am not sure on the ice n LED yet.

3. i run halogen Highs...The H1 Osram now with the LED lows and custom LED fogs in the bumper, plus the overhead bar for offroad or dark backroads. I do have the 100% DRL mod and the 4 Hi mod as well. I actually have tried to document a lot with these lights and variations. Should be output shots around in you look.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online