Have you taken your hitch off?

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Just curious. Mines got a bunch of surface rust. Want to media blast it. would like to get a rough idea how long it takes to remove. Thanks.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I just taped it off and painted ot with leftover model spray paint last summer. Slowly coming back, not enough to re-do. Might rhino line it next time.

Couldn't imagine it'd take too long hour tops to get off. Prob have to remove rear bumper?

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I was thinking about an hour as well. I could spray paint it but I'm all about not having to do a job more than once. OK, maybe if someone was paying me but I own the darn thing. Would like to inspect the welds and such too. Hey, will post some pics when I get the chance.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Once the bumper cover is off, there's just six very large hardened bolts (3 each side) holding the hitch subassembly to the frame. One of the three, IIRC, on the driver's side is obscured by a spare tire support structure and is difficult to get out. Slight risk of warping the bumper cover during this process, but for me, it was a one-way trip when I removed the cover.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
K, thanks. Any idea how long it takes to remove the bumper? It's just a couple small screws and some push pins?

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Any estimate? I babysit full time and work full time so time is limited. Much appreciated.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
from shop manual doing a search on bing. first hit was on the old site.

Here's from the shop manual for the rear bumper cover:

Rear Bumper Fascia Replacement
Removal Procedure
Remove the backup lamp socket assemblies from the backup lamp housings, if applicable.
Remove the lower fascia push-pins.
Remove the screws from the rear wheelhouse flanges.
Remove the upper retaining bolts from the back of the fascia.
Remove the fascia from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Position the fascia to the vehicle impact bar.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the upper retaining bolts to the fascia.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).
Install the screws that retain the fascia to the wheelhouse flanges.
Tighten
Tighten the screws to 4.5 N·m (40 lb in).
Install and fully seat the lower push-pins.
Install the backup lamp socket assemblies, if applicable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the rear impact bar:

Rear Bumper Impact Bar Replacement
Removal Procedure
Remove the spare tire carrier.
Remove the rear fascia.
Disconnect the trailer/towing receptacle electrical connector.
Rotate the trailer/towing receptacle assembly counterclockwise and remove from the vehicle.
Remove the 4 rearward bolts that retain the impact bar assembly to the frame rails.
While an assistant holds the impact bar assembly in place, remove the remaining 2 retaining bolts.
Remove the impact bar assembly from the vehicle with an assistant.

Installation Procedure

Position the impact bar assembly to the vehicle with an assistant.
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
Install the bolts that retain the rear impact bar to the frame.
Tighten
Tighten the rear impact bar bolts to 364 N·m (268 lb ft).
Install the trailer/towing receptacle assembly to the bracket and rotate clockwise until fully seated.
Connect the trailer/towing receptacle electrical connector.
Install the rear fascia. Refer to Rear Bumper Fascia Replacement .
Install the spare tire carrier. Refer to Tire Hoist and Shaft Replacement .

Sounds like it will depend on experience and how well it wants to come off. my guess now is 5 minutes to 20 to get the bumper off taking your time

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
30 minutes for everything but hidden bolt. It may take another 30 itself.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online