NEED HELP GMC Envoy Steering Wheel Swap

Elroy Jetson

Original poster
Mar 7, 2019
United States
I have a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV 4.2L without the option of steering wheel controls. I recently purchased a steering wheel that have the options installed on the wheel. What are all of the steps to make the buttons function properly other than switching the actual steering wheel and air bag. Is it anything else that I need to aquire to make it work (as far as wiring)?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Probably can't be done right without a CRAZY amount of OEM Wire Harness & Module Swap Installation and PCM Re-Calibration Hassles. Read THIS PDF and just LOOK at all of the Extra Features accessible through the Push Button Controls mounted into the Steering Wheel that require corresponding Wiring and Acceptable Modules that may not be included in the "Plain Wrapper" Versions of the Trailblazers and Envoys Harnesses.

Take the time to Examine your own RPO Features on the Silver Sticker Pasted inside of your Glove Box to get a better understanding that there is a REASON those RPO Listings are usually generated AT THE FACTORY and they seldom if ever enjoy allowing different Features being "Added On" later as an afterthought:

If your Present Steering Wheel WORKS.. (Including the Clock Spring) ... Don't FIX It.

Attachments

• 2004_gmc_envoy_xuv_getknow.pdf
    487.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Were you able to source a replacement clock spring that has the additional wires in it for the added functions as well? I did the same swap in my 05 TB some years ago, and remember having to run wiring from the cluster down to a large harness connector at the base of the steering column, that went up to the clock spring. My other buttons were for the radio controls (I've seen some that have HVAC controls) and since I have an aftermarket head unit, ran the additional connections to an aftermarket adapter.

If you're comfortable with wiring and making connections, it won't be difficult work, just a little tedious, as wiring tends to be. :twocents:

Reactions: mrrsm

Elroy Jetson

Original poster
Mar 7, 2019
United States
Probably can't be done right without a CRAZY amount of OEM Wire Harness & Module Swap Installation and PCM Re-Calibration Hassles. Read THIS PDF and just LOOK at all of the Extra Features accessible through the Push Button Controls mounted into the Steering Wheel that require corresponding Wiring and Acceptable Modules that may not be included in the "Plain Wrapper" Versions of the Trailblazers and Envoys Harnesses.

Take the time to Examine your own RPO Features on the Silver Sticker Pasted inside of your Glove Box to get a better understanding that there is a REASON those RPO Listings are usually generated AT THE FACTORY and they seldom if ever enjoy allowing different Features being "Added On" later as an afterthought:

If your Present Steering Wheel WORKS.. (Including the Clock Spring) ... Don't FIX It.
Do you happen to remember or know the part that I would need to order?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Easiest is to replace the whole column, especially if you can find one at a Pick-n-pull. That's what I did. As for connecting the controls, I connected the two wires from the radio control switches directly to the Android HU as per this thread:

I also connected the cluster buttons to the cluster wires as per the schematics however this required replacing the original non-DIC cluster with a DIC cluster.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online