G80

Inert_Static

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
I was on off-road tb and I saw g80 in a lot of the builds. What is that ? I searched but g80 did not return one result here.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's the automatic locking rear differential option. An Eaton unit you should be able to find a lot of information by Googling for "Eaton G80".

Basically it's better than a limited slip differential, but it can be fragile if abused with full-throttle engagements. When it detects one rear tire slipping, as soon as the difference in RPM between the two wheels reaches 100 RPM, it will mechanically lock up the rear wheels so the torque will go to the one that still has traction and not to the one that's uselessly spinning on ice or snow or in the air.

It's the device we have that makes lumpy hill climbs like this possible:

[video=youtube;24SwmSN0-bI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SwmSN0-bI[/video]

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You can check the codes in your glove-box and find out if you have one in your truck. One of the best factory options that was available.

Inert_Static

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
You can check the codes in your glove-box and find out if you have one in your truck. One of the best factory options that was available.

I was wondering about that. I'll check that out.

LordBear

Dec 22, 2011
i saw that in this vid both front wheels were powered at one point or another.. is there a locker or limited slip or something in the front?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Stock...No. They all have open diffs from the factory. I do have pics of both my fronts spinning though. If you have equal traction, in theory they should both spin, but there is only one aftermarket locker available and maybe 2 people running it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod