For those of you who have Window Deflectors

joepro17

Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Thinking about getting some to cut down on wind noise more so for highway driving. To those who have them do they help at all? What are some pros and cons you’ve noticed about them? Thanks.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I have a set on my '03 Envoy, but I don't really can't verify how much noise they cut down on after putting them on. I had the Envoy for about 1 month, then installed the vent visors. The main reason I installed them is to keep the windows slightly open on hot days.

The only issue I had with mine was that the passenger side came loose at the point where it met-up with the mirror housing. I used a bit of windshield adhesive to secure it and it's perfect now.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the areas with rubbing alcohol where the tape is going to be mounted. That removes wax and dirt prior to installation and will give a much better bond.

Pros:
Vent the interior on hot days
Drive in the rain with windows slightly down
Good for people that smoke

Cons:
The double sided tape sometimes comes loose, especially where it sticks to the rearview mirror housing
The plastic gets increasingly fragile over time
Wind tunnels (when going through the car wash) can send them flying if not properly bonded

These are just my opinions though. Others here may/may not agree.

Overall though, I'm very happy with them!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have the in channel ones, I like the look of these better than the regular ones. I also do not have to worry about adhesive being left on the doors if I ever removed them. As for wind noise, I think you would have better luck trying to stiffen up the seal that goes in between the door and door jamb. Several techniques have been discussed. I did not notice a change in wind noise after installing mine.

As hockey man said the pros are pretty much what they are intended for.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
+1 on the in channel style. I almost always crack all of my windows open when I park somewhere for the day. With our almost daily summer rains, would be a bad deal given the location of the PDM/DDM right under where the window meets the top of the door. :no:

As for wind noise, it will go up a little bit when you install these, so if that's your main thing, then skip on these, and remove your roof rack cross bars (if you haven't done so already). You'll notice a big change there. :yes:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have the in-channel on one TB and the reg ones on the other TB. Definitely go with the in-channel if you do any.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
In channel style is the way to go like everyone mentioned. I did not notice a reduction in wind noise, but it is nice to be able to roll the windows down while it is raining and not have rain water fly in the window.

The in channel style have a smaller profile and sit tighter to the window. Look good IMO.

I went with a set from WeatherTech. A little pricey, but worth the money.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I have them on the Silverado specifically so I can crack the Windows open during the summer since it is outside all the time.

joepro17

Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Blckshdw said:
+1 on the in channel style. I almost always crack all of my windows open when I park somewhere for the day. With our almost daily summer rains, would be a bad deal given the location of the PDM/DDM right under where the window meets the top of the door. :no:

As for wind noise, it will go up a little bit when you install these, so if that's your main thing, then skip on these, and remove your roof rack cross bars (if you haven't done so already). You'll notice a big change there. :yes:

I'll definitely try out removing the roof rack cross bars.

Appreciate all the input. If I pull the trigger I will definitely go with the in channel per popular recommendation.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
In channels here and they work well. I don't particularly care for the "stuck on" look of the regular ones.

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
I prefer the stick on ones. I've had mine on for 8 years and still have not come loose. I like being able to keep them cracked in crap weather without getting rain in the car. I also like that the stick on ones cover the entire rear side windows, where as the in channel does not.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:
I prefer the stick on ones. I've had mine on for 8 years and still have not come loose. I like being able to keep them cracked in crap weather without getting rain in the car. I also like that the stick on ones cover the entire rear side windows, where as the in channel does not.

I have had my inchannel for 5 and never come loose, not even the one the tree cracked. I can leave all 4 windows cracked and no rain comes in. The inchannel covers whole rear window, just not the quarter glass. I will give up the none coverage on the fixed window for the closer snugger fit any day. The stick on ones on the 07 are attention grabbers and just look ...well, stuck on like an after thought. They stick out so far compared to how th in-channel ones do. While not horrid looking, the side by side view I get of them nearly daily, definitely has me wanting another set of inchannel to replace the stick-ons.

Overall though...I would take either over having none.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I've had the in channel ones for about 5 years. Never had one shake, fall off, and I will drive with the windows cracked in rain etc. Besides I like the look of the tighter fit.

I was going to say that if you get the in channel ones, make sure you clean the felt that the tape sticks too with alcohol and some sort of lint free cloth. They come with wipes, but I wanted to make sure they were spotless.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Heh i too have been having the debate about the In channel ones and the stick on ones. My concern with the in channel ones is that they may scratch the edge of the window where the window makes contact. Because as far as i could tell they go inside the actual felt channel do they not?

Heh Trailz i didnt realize you had two Tbs lol

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Yes they sign in between the felt and window when the windows are up. First things I did while installing them was to put the windows back up as soon as I got them in the groove right.

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
I have the stick on ones on my Canyon. They were on it when I bought it. At some point I would like to get the in-chanel ones. They all work as intended and allow me to keep my windows cracked all the time.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
Yes they sign in between the felt and window when the windows are up. First things I did while installing them was to put the windows back up as soon as I got them in the groove right.

Have you noticed any damage on the windows edge from rubbing against the plastic? All of the instructions i have seen thus far for all the in channel kits mention to leave the windows sealed tight against them for at least 24 hrs to ensure proper adhesion of the double sided tape. With that said...does anyone have any pictures of the in channel ones? I have seen the stick on type in person.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Anyone have a link to the in-channel visors?
I didn't know I had more options when I bought my stick-ons.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Darkrider_LS said:
... With that said...does anyone have any pictures of the in channel ones? I have seen the stick on type in person.

Here's one shot of mine from a little ways away.

DarkMirrors1.jpg

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
hockeyman said:
Anyone have a link to the in-channel visors?
I didn't know I had more options when I bought my stick-ons.

Here's a link to weathertech.com where I bought mine. They sell for all makes and models amd are the in channel style.

The link should take you directly to the ones that fit the 03 Envoy XL.

http://www.weathertech.com/gmc/2003/envoy-xl/side-window-deflectors/

Here's a pic of them on my TB.

a3edapum.jpg

Reactions: Western sky

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I think mine are AVS or something like that. I bought them from a local shop for a great price.

As for scratches, I looked today but it has been raining so it was hard to tell. Does not look like anything substantial though.

Attachments

• 2013-08-28 19.37.36.jpg
    2013-08-28 19.37.36.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 26

joepro17

Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
I have the in channel ones, I like the look of these better than the regular ones. I also do not have to worry about adhesive being left on the doors if I ever removed them. As for wind noise, I think you would have better luck trying to stiffen up the seal that goes in between the door and door jamb. Several techniques have been discussed. I did not notice a change in wind noise after installing mine.

As hockey man said the pros are pretty much what they are intended for.

any idea where this thread might be?

Tofer76

Dec 8, 2011
I also have the in channel ones and love them. they have a cleaner factory look than a stick on . the only issue I had was the rear ones go in the channel along the window top but have a tab that does stick on the outside at the rear of the glass?? don't really like that but oh well

I dry fitted them at first to see where the glass will rub them on the ends. and found that some times the glass hit them square on their edge causing them to pop a lil so I took them out and beveled the edge where the ends rub
just a lil did the trick

I also put a small dab of black silicone caulk on each end when I installed so they couldn't possibly fly off but I can still take them off if I want , left the windows up for 3 days just to be sure ( I picked a rainy weekend )

anyway I like them and have them on all my stuff
they were 50 bucks I think

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Thanks guys now I got a little itch now on the in channel visors:yes: but I think I would like to get mine color matched though.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
TexazReece said:
Thanks guys now I got a little itch now on the in channel visors:yes: but I think I would like to get mine color matched though.

That itch can quickly take a turn for the worse if you don't scratch it every now and then.

On a lighter vehicle I think color match should be done, hell I wish they color matched from the factory when they made these things. However on darker vehicles they tend not to stand out more or blend with the vehicle.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I have TrailBlazer related parts all over the house and my wife keeps asking me did I buy the stuff just too look at them lol. Little does she know I have many plans for my truck just gotta get some more things in and a little off time from work :yes:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
TexazReece said:
I have TrailBlazer related parts all over the house and my wife keeps asking me did I buy the stuff just too look at them lol. Little does she know I have many plans for my truck just gotta get some more things in and a little off time from work :yes:

My guest room looked like a GMT360 parts store up until Friday. Must of had about 15 boxes in there. My cat thought it was a theme park.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I have AVS in-channels on the Silverado. Just be careful with the tab on the end. It goes under the base of the mirror to door trim.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Oh yeah, one small con we forgot to mention (or I didn't see it posted at least) Your visibility around the A pillars will be reduced a bit. So you'll have to lean to either side to check for traffic and such. Took this on the way to work this morning. (it's slightly off since I had to hold my phone a few inches in front of me, but you can see my point)

I couldn't see the most of the cars in front of me after this curve, and none of the oncoming traffic, from a normal seated position. After a little while driving with them, you'll adjust your habits accordingly and it will become second nature. :thumbsup:

20130830_071544_zps57d11d3a.jpg

albi30

Aug 17, 2013
I was on weathertechs site and saw them. I have a 2008 LT with onstar (don't use it). Anyways the site says if you have a TB with onstar, theirs won't fit. Called them to confirm and the lady said the onstar antenna is different than the non onstar antenna's. But they claim to reduce wind noise and I'd love to achieve that. So anyone have a sunroof deflector.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Ive "always" had the in-channel AVS for one reason- lifetime warranty!!!

One time my black lab stuck his head out the back right window and it cracked the vent visor. I called AVS to buy just the back rear right vent visor, they sent me a whole new set for free!! :wootwoot:

AVS has excellent customer service.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
albi30 said:
I was on weathertechs site and saw them. I have a 2008 LT with onstar (don't use it). Anyways the site says if you have a TB with onstar, theirs won't fit. Called them to confirm and the lady said the onstar antenna is different than the non onstar antenna's. But they claim to reduce wind noise and I'd love to achieve that. So anyone have a sunroof deflector.

How is this because I thought the onstar antenna was on the roof???

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
MichEnvoyGuy said:

One time my black lab stuck his head out the back right window and it cracked the vent visor. I called AVS to buy just the back rear right vent visor, they sent me a whole new set for free!! :wootwoot:

Kind of makes you wonder how much it really cost for them to make them.

TexazReece said:

I believe that it is in reference to the sunroof deflector.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:

Similar situation with me, I broke the right front one for the Silverado. I called and admitted I broke it and I just wanted to buy that one. They sent me a whole set. They'll get more of my business!

TexazReece said:

It should be sufficiently away from the sunroof that a deflector will not be a problem.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:

They're made in the USA too (at least mine are) so that's another BIG +1 also

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online

No members online now.