Finally de-racked!

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Well, pretty much as the title says, I took time today on my first day on break to take the roof rack runners off the Voy.

View attachment 31687

View attachment 31688

View attachment 31689

View attachment 31690

I'm using the factory screws with Teflon tape for now, plan to get some Cadillac side molding down the road to make it look really good. Saw it on Venomhatch's thread and like the looks of it, it'll cover the bolt hole inserts and match the other roof ribs.

You guys who've done this: what did you use to get this residual outline (pic below) off? I keep a vehicle clean and waxed, but I'm no pro detailer, so step by instructions would be great. Thanks!

View attachment 31691

Attachments

• IMG_20131218_144741_233.jpg
    IMG_20131218_144741_233.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20131218_150547_153.jpg
    IMG_20131218_150547_153.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20131218_150714_288.jpg
    IMG_20131218_150714_288.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20131218_150740_190.jpg
    IMG_20131218_150740_190.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20131218_150829_421.jpg
    IMG_20131218_150829_421.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: CaptainKD

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
Eastern NC
Looks good!!!! Your truck sure looks familiar :biggrin:

I was blessed that mine did not have the outlines as bad as you. I have very faint outlines and if you look at just the right angle you can see them on my truck.

:thumbsup:

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
CaptainKD said:
Looks good!!!! Your truck sure looks familiar :biggrin:

I was blessed that mine did not have the outlines as bad as you. I have very faint outlines and if you look at just the right angle you can see them on my truck.

:thumbsup:

Thanks! Liquid Silver Metallic sure is a great color, isn't it? :biggrin: Even when it's dirty it still looks good...

Your truck had a few less years of the rack being on there, my guess would be that's why the outline on yours is light. :cool:

Made an executive decision a few minutes ago to go to the hardware store in search of set screws - the factory bolts, even though they thread all the way in, just stick up too much for my liking. I'll have to have the set screws anyhow for when I put the molding on the roof, so I might as well go ahead and get them.

I'm still in search of what to use for outline removal, any help from the pros out there would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
If you get set screws make sure you get stainless ones (They are metric M6x12 will fit) to prevent corrosion and also wrap the threads with pipe tape to make them water tight. You could also use some clear silicone on top of the set screw to ensure it is water tight.

Have you tried Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 to remove the lines? I used it to get rid of the lines after removing my side molding and cleaned up the paint very well. It does not look like I ever had side molding on my doors.

Why not use the side molding you had on your Voy to cover the set screws? Is it not color matched or did you get rid of it?

Before I installed the side molding, I covered the set screws and holes with RTV black to make sure everything was water tight.

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
dmanns67 said:
If you get set screws make sure you get stainless ones (They are metric M6x12 will fit) to prevent corrosion and also wrap the threads with pipe tape to make them water tight. You could also use some clear silicone on top of the set screw to ensure it is water tight.

Have you tried Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 to remove the lines? I used it to get rid of the lines after removing my side molding and cleaned up the paint very well. It does not look like I ever had side molding on my doors.

Why not use the side molding you had on your Voy to cover the set screws? Is it not color matched or did you get rid of it?

Before I installed the side molding, I covered the set screws and holes with RTV black to make sure everything was water tight.

I did find the size of the screws tonight, but none of the places I really needed to go in town (the places that I know have the screws) were open. Tomorrow I plan on finding them and getting a bottle of touch up paint also for the heads of the set screws. I already have several rolls of thread tape in the shop.

I can't use my side moldings because they're the ones that are really thick and say Envoy in the middle :frown: If all goes well removing the marks on the roof, I'll be doing the side moldings next, although I have mixed feelings about removing them because they've really been good for protecting my doors from door dinging dummies pretty well. I try to park in places to avoid dings, but the college students in Morgantown just have no respect. I'll get some Scratch X while I'm in town tomorrow as well though, thanks for the tips! :thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I see. The Cadillac side molding will look good. I think that's what Venom used on his SS clone. Luckily my side molding was low profile, color matched, and did not have trailblazer on them.

Unless you got a couple grand to spend at an auto body shop, this is the best way to cover the holes on the roof and it looks good. I could not stand seeing the ten holes on the roof.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
I used rubbing compund after cleaning the areas really well on mine, seemed to work really well. Been considering some vinyl wrap in the same color as my GMT and just getting strips to cover the rack areas. After the lift is installed, not too many people will be seeing the roof often.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Looks good.

I used scratch-x when I removed mine as well as some goof off to remove the residue. I also used the set screws with teflon. I did not use stainless steel ones, just the normal black ones. Removed them a few weeks ago and only one had a bit of surface rust. Not bad for 4 years.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Midnyteryder02 said:
That looks pretty sweet man! I wanna do this to my ext, but afraid it will look like a "van" :confused:

It does look different on the EXT from the pics I have seen. I think a few members removed the rack then reinstalled it because they did not like the way it looked.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
dmanns67 said:
It does look different on the EXT from the pics I have seen. I think a few members removed the rack then reinstalled it because they did not like the way it looked.

Haha I could see me doing the same thing... I wonder how it would look body painted

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Midnyteryder02 said:
Haha I could see me doing the same thing... I wonder how it would look body painted

I have seen a couple TBs with color matched roof racks amd did not look bad at all. Never seen an EXT though.

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Midnyteryder02 said:
That looks pretty sweet man! I wanna do this to my ext, but afraid it will look like a "van" :confused:

Thanks! It's not completely done yet, but by tomorrow it'll be there. Like dmanns said, there have been guys who've took the rack off the EXTs and put them back on. It would be OK, but there's a sort of channel in the body that runs above the rear side windows on the EXTs that the rack covers up. It shows up and kind of looks a bit odd IMO on the long models.

Midnyteryder02 said:

I've never seen one done, that's really up to your preferences for your own vehicle. :thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Midnyteryder02 said:
Well thinkin that when spring hits, I will try it out and see how it looks

Warm weather will make the process easier. I got the urge to remove the side molding and roof rack January of this year. Needless to say a 45º garage made the process more difficult than it needed to be.

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Today's update:

Made another trip to town today for the set screws, something to take off the outlines, and a bottle of touch up paint, plus a buttload of Christmas shopping. After I found a hardware store carrying the M6x12 set screws I needed, I found that they only had four. Some more scavenging and phone calling led me to another hardware where I bought the remaining six I needed.

I then learned something from the man at the local paint place: I don't have a Liquid Silver Metallic Envoy, it's Light Tarnished Silver! According to the counter guy that paint color was only used in 2004.

The last thing I picked up for the Voy was a bottle of Meguiar's rubbing compound, the AutoZone I was at didn't have ScratchX, plus I figured the rubbing compound was a little harsher and might do the job a little better. I have one last outline to work on tomorrow, then they'll all be gone - I was very impressed with how well the outlines came off. The pic isn't too good, but you can clearly see that compared to the other pics above that the outline is gone!

View attachment 31702

The screws are all Teflon taped and installed, so all that's left is for me to finish the last outline with rubbing compound tomorrow and hit the set screws with some touch up paint, and it'll be done! :wootwoot: That is, until I get tired of seeing the places on the roof and get some Caddy moldings...

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 20

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Paint color names vary. Mine has been called desert metallic and cocoa metallic.

If you want paint that will match perfectly, hit up http://www.automotivetouchup.com/. Use the paint code from your glove box data plate. They have 2oz touch up bottles all the way up to 12oz rattle cans. I have used them before as that is the only place I can find desert metallic paint. Matches perfectly.

Their paint is mixed once you submit your order based on your specific code, so it takes about a week to receive.

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Paint color names vary. Mine has been called desert metallic and cocoa metallic.

If you want paint that will match perfectly, hit up Touch Up Paint and Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup. Use the paint code from your glove box data plate. They have 2oz touch up bottles all the way up to 12oz rattle cans. I have used them before as that is the only place I can find desert metallic paint. Matches perfectly.

Their paint is mixed once you submit your order based on your specific code, so it takes about a week to receive.

That sounds like a good source, I'll remember it.

I went to a place in Parkersburg called Osterle Automotive Paint and Glass, they've been in business I think since the early to mid 40s. Dad has used them since he started owning vehicles, and still uses them - and now I do too. I took in the paint code from my glove box door (U910L) and they mixed the paint in a 4oz touch up bottle while I waited, it took them about 5 minutes. They'll do rattle cans too, Dad once had them mix up some paint in a rattle can for an 85 Custom Deluxe that we were working on. We doubled our money on that $500 bucket of bolts :biggrin:

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
dmanns67 said:
I am sure that paint will be spot on then. I thought you might have went to autozone or advanced auto for paint.

:eek::eek: That would only happen in the worst case scenario, lol. I actually remember reading a while back in a post where you mentioned automotivetouchup.com and I looked into them. If ever the need arises for touch up paint and I can't get to Osterle's, that will be my first stop. :thumbsup:

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Finished up the rack delete project earlier today. I got the last of the outlines that were removable rubbed away with the rubbing compound and I got the paint applied to the heads of the set screws and the little sockets that they screw into. I got probably about 80-85% total outline removal - more than enough to make me happy, especially on a vehicle that has had a roof rack for almost the past 10 years.

Painted and drying - the touch up was spot-on.

View attachment 31708

Finally, the view I wanted!

View attachment 31709

I'm happy with how the mod turned out, I planned on using Cadillac moldings but Venomhatch told me today that requires grinding flush the socket that sticks up for the set screws to screw into. I really wanted to steer clear of that if I could so that I have the option of reattaching the rack if the need ever arises. So, I'll be doing a little molding searching in my spare time hunting for a molding that has space in it for the little nubs on the roof. I might go with the painted to match new style TB/Envoy moldings like the lucky ones on here (I'm looking at you, dmanns :biggrin: ) have done, but honestly I plan on living with it like this for a while, I don't think it looks too bad.

Next up is hopefully raising the front end with Mark's 1/2 inch spacers do get rid of the crappy forward rake.

Attachments

• roof-top.jpg
    roof-top.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 39
  • roof-painted.jpg
    roof-painted.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 38

bear 601

Aug 3, 2014
ok sorry to open up a new post but do you have to cover the holes or reinstall the screws or can you just fill them in with like jb weld and then paint over them

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Depends on if you ever plan on transferring the truck to someone who values a rack.

bear 601

Aug 3, 2014
ok cool thats what i was wondering ill just fill them and paint over :thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
bear 601 said:
ok cool thats what i was wondering ill just fill them and paint over :thumbsup:
You can use 6mm x 1.0 set screws with threads wrapped in pipe tape for a good seal. You can paint over them.

Some of us who do not want to fork out the cash for the body work on the roof, we covered the holes with color matched side molding. It looks good, cheaper than body work, and is a good use for you side molding once it is removed :twocents:

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
dmanns67 said:
You can use 6mm x 1.0 set screws with threads wrapped in pipe tape for a good seal. You can paint over them.

Some of us who do not want to fork out the cash for the body work on the roof, we covered the holes with color matched side molding. It looks good, cheaper than body work, and is a good use for you side molding once it is removed :twocents:
I tried to find info on the trim used for this to no avail. Can you provide this information please?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
BlazingTrails said:
I tried to find info on the trim used for this to no avail. Can you provide this information please?
What info do you need? I used the side molding off of my own truck as it was already colored matched and they were smooth without "Trailblazer" on them. There is another member on this forum, VenomHatch I believe that used side molding off of a Cadillac CTS.

Chuck Bunyon

Jul 24, 2014
Thanks for the Teflon screw idea. I want to take my rack off to refinish it but didn't want to leave the holes open.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Noel Crystal said:
Thanks for the Teflon screw idea. I want to take my rack off to refinish it but didn't want to leave the holes open.
If you are planning on covering the holes with color matched side molding, I used some RTV black on top of all the holes after I inserted the stainless steel set screws wrapped in pipe tape for a good seal prior to installing the side molding on the roof.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
dmanns67 said:
If you are planning on covering the holes with color matched side molding, I used some RTV black on top of all the holes after I inserted the stainless steel set screws wrapped in pipe tape for a good seal prior to installing the side molding on the roof.
Can you post a photo of the molding on your roof?

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
dmanns67 said:
That's one of those super duper triple dog tighter than turtle pu**y king kong seal jobs!

:smile:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Looks good, back when I did mine I just put the bolts back in :rotfl: doesn't really bother me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpepmeie

Members Online