Exhaust systems

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I've been thinking about exhaust systems and just keeping my tb ride height stock and fixing other stuff up. Anyone have any opinions on different systems, pros and cons?

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I just have a Flowmaster 40 series on my truck. Sounds good. Turns heads but doesn't really wake the neighbors.

I hate ricers so yea.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You're best choices available right there at any auto parts joint are: Magnaflow, Flowmaster 40/50 series, and Dynomax. Putting one of these on without any further exhaust modifications will make the sound you're looking for.

I know you're not looking to be like me with no catalytic converter at all (completely gone not gutted), custom down-pipe, o2 foulers, '08/'09 manifold, 4in. tip, and a Magnaflow all together lol.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just pick a muffler. I liked the hooker aerochamber better than the magnaflow on currently, but that is just cause i like a bit louder.

Reactions: Capote

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
So let me give you some ideas because I have been researching the same thing and I want to know what others think. I would like to get rid of the huge muffler and tin can resonator the Trailblazer has. At first I was thinking to just cut the resonator have a muffler shop weld a straight pipe with tip and that would be it. But from changing out my fluids, I noticed how huge our mufflers are, why? The muffler looks like it weighs 200lbs (joke) but its huge...So I looked into the Dyno max mufflers and they have a twin dual set up that looks nice but costs too much money and I would rather have a single outlet

http://www.dynomax.com/dual-2-25-2-5-cat-back-system-dynomax-vt-muffler-38530.html

So I found out you can get every piece for the above muffler system separately.

Of course if you get a different muffler its not going to have hanger brackets but the other pieces would.

Would there be an issue getting this type of muffler?

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ult...s/ultra-flotm-welded-offset-centered-612.html

Its a smaller muffler and would need to get an extended pipe from cat to muffler, but would it work? Or does the muffler have to be huge like our stock mufflers?

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
You're best choices available right there at any auto parts joint are: Magnaflow, Flowmaster 40/50 series, and Dynomax. Putting one of these on without any further exhaust modifications will make the sound you're looking for.

I know you're not looking to be like me with no catalytic converter at all (completely gone not gutted), custom down-pipe, o2 foulers, '08/'09 manifold, 4in. tip, and a Magnaflow all together lol.

How loud is yours? I'm not really educated on this stuff so I'm not sure what all your saying means to be honest haha

Just pick a muffler. I liked the hooker aerochamber better than the magnaflow on currently, but that is just cause i like a bit louder.

I've heard a lot of people in this platform have the magnaflow and seem to like it

So let me give you some ideas because I have been researching the same thing and I want to know what others think. I would like to get rid of the huge muffler and tin can resonator the Trailblazer has. At first I was thinking to just cut the resonator have a muffler shop weld a straight pipe with tip and that would be it. But from changing out my fluids, I noticed how huge our mufflers are, why? The muffler looks like it weighs 200lbs (joke) but its huge...So I looked into the Dyno max mufflers and they have a twin dual set up that looks nice but costs too much money and I would rather have a single outlet

http://www.dynomax.com/dual-2-25-2-5-cat-back-system-dynomax-vt-muffler-38530.html

So I found out you can get every piece for the above muffler system separately.

Of course if you get a different muffler its not going to have hanger brackets but the other pieces would.

Would there be an issue getting this type of muffler?

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ult...s/ultra-flotm-welded-offset-centered-612.html

Its a smaller muffler and would need to get an extended pipe from cat to muffler, but would it work? Or does the muffler have to be huge like our stock mufflers?

Thanks for your suggestions

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I do not recommend the Dynomax VT mufflers. The one I had broke its internal spring and it was just loud all the time with the valve staying open all the time.

I have a JBA Headers SS 3" catback. I tried the JBA muffler, too loud. Then the VT, failed, and then my current muffler, the Magnaflow 12579, was good at first but has become loud. All made the truck sound like a fat ricer. I'm actually going back to a stock setup minus the resonator.

Use band type muffler clamps. Makes swapping mufflers so much easier!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I go the other way and have all exhaust welded and just cut and reweld when needed. But it is a preference thing really.

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I'm with @HARDTRAILZ
I'd rather cut and reweld than have clamps.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Considering my exhaust clamp was always loose between the time when I cut off the resonator and got a full exhaust, I'd be on the side of welding it on. Not sure how laws go, but I'm for sure as hell not being liable if my $4 home depot 2.75" exhaust pipe smacks the front end of the Tesla behind me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was suggesting the band clamps for the muffler, not the hacked off resonator, which doesn't have enough pipe past the hanger for any kind of clamp.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online