envoy

Firebear

Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
this one made the local news ouch, didn't work out in the positive for sure. :no:

Attachments

• 19997717_BG2[1].jpg
    19997717_BG2[1].jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 38

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
:lipsrsealed: ouch that's pretty f$@&Ed up. What it hit or hit it? Can't see any one walking away from that.....

Firebear

Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
cjceg1985 said:
:lipsrsealed: ouch that's pretty f$@&Ed up. What it hit or hit it? Can't see any one walking away from that.....

They didn't walk away :frown:, rolled, flipped end over end several times from what the news said, air bags did not deploy and the driver was ejected due to lack of wearing their seatbelt.

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
Lookin at what was left even if the airbags were deployed and off they were wearing a seat belt prolly wouldnt have saved their life. What hit them er whatever...?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They likely would be alive if they had worn their seatbelt. The passenger compartment is not really damaged. The truck did what it was supposed...folded and crushed, but kept the cabin relatively safe, but since the operator was too stupid or lazy to bother with a seatbelt they are dead.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
They likely would be alive if they had worn their seatbelt. The passenger compartment is not really damaged. The truck did what it was supposed...folded and crushed, but kept the cabin relatively safe, but since the operator was too stupid or lazy to bother with a seatbelt they are dead.

Agreed. The truck is mangled like it should be absorbing the impacts but the cabin looks to be in good shape. I wonder why the airbags didn't deploy? If they had it might have prevented the driver from being ejected. However, it amazes me this day and age that people still don't wear seatbelts.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
NewfieEnvoy said:
....However, it amazes me this day and age that people still don't wear seatbelts.
I used to be amazed. Now I just shake my head.

Just think how dumb the "average guy" is. By DEFINITION, half of them are stupider than THAT. :crazy:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Agreed. The truck is mangled like it should be absorbing the impacts but the cabin looks to be in good shape. I wonder why the airbags didn't deploy? If they had it might have prevented the driver from being ejected. However, it amazes me this day and age that people still don't wear seatbelts.

No, the airbag wouldn't have, and probably would have just battered the driver even more. The airbags may not have deployed simply because the seatbelt wasn't buckled. You actually can run a higher risk of injury (or death) deploying the airbag without the occupant also being restrained by a seatbelt.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Sparky said:
No, the airbag wouldn't have, and probably would have just battered the driver even more. The airbags may not have deployed simply because the seatbelt wasn't buckled. You actually can run a higher risk of injury (or death) deploying the airbag without the occupant also being restrained by a seatbelt.

Very true. Even with your seatbelt on an airbag can give you a very nasty smack, but its better than the alternative. Mother in law was in a accident and the airbag really bet her up. She's also sits way to close to the wheel, forearms are vertical when she's at the wheel.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
That looks pretty bad. Bummer they didn't have their belts on. The rollover/sidecurtain airbags would have went off if it had them. Don't know they can do anything positive if you're not strapped in. I also can't believe anybody wouldn't wear their seat belt. I suppose if you hold tight enough to the wheel you should be fine though.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Jkust said:
I suppose if you hold tight enough to the wheel you should be fine though.

In a crash that violent, the forces experienced would be so high that it's doubtful anyone would be able to keep themselves in place. You'd be tossed around like a rag doll.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I had a buddy that rolled a ranger 4 times and did not have a seatbelt on. He held the steering wheel so hard he bent it, but he walked away with only a couple scratches and bruises.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
In a crash that violent, the forces experienced would be so high that it's doubtful anyone would be able to keep themselves in place. You'd be tossed around like a rag doll.

I know, I'm just reliving what adults used to say back when I was a kid and nobody wore seatbelts. My wife rolled her Rainier with our youngest in the truck. They only walked away because they were strapped in. I went head-on/offset frontal crash with an illegal going 55, I had a seat belt and airbag and he wasn't belted in. I'll just say he didn't fare well as he went through the windshield. They pried me out of the car and I hobbled away just fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online