Envoy two weeks later

tokahao

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Two weeks ago my wonderful wife of 9 years wanted rims. After seeing the stock 17" wheels on the 05 XL for 5 years she could take it no longer:
View attachment 17440

So we forfeited the purchase of a new Sony Bravia XBR55HX929 for new shoes. What else would be better than Chrome or Polished TBSS rims, right? She wanted black rims which I didn't feel properly matched my style. Afraid she would "go black and never come back", I had to put my foot down. We ended up compromising and happily chose 22" Comp Gray FRs thru Tony (aka NORCAL SS):
View attachment 17445

While waiting for the rims to arrive I cleaned and painted the calipers using VHT SP731 Real Red, and the rear top hats (e-brake drums) with VHT SP739 Satin Black. It took me 3 rainy nights of working under a carport without proper lighting, no jack stands, one can of brake parts cleaner, and a tiny toothbrush sized wire brush. Bought 265/40/22 Toyo Proxes STs from a local dealer. New shoes on:
View attachment 17441
View attachment 17442

But it still didn't feel complete. We like the height for now so we didn't feel it needed to be dropped just yet. Instead, we spent another night soaking the side panels and rear hatch badges with Goo Gone and following up with a heat gun and 15lb test fishing line. Did a quick wash and sent to 20 20 Auto Detailing in Honolulu for a full day of their Showroom package. Result:
View attachment 17443
View attachment 17444

Two weeks later and we're loving the "new" ride. It's pretty sick to see the Mrs. rolling down the road in something so sexy. The Toyos feel amazing and we're confident will hold up well in the rainy weather.

I already e-mailed Tony about his recommended drop package so we'll definitely go with the Belltech Street Perf. Shocks/Springs Combo w/ 1 inch rear spacer in the near future. Husky splash guards are in the mail. Also thinking about a satin mesh grille... any recommendations?

Jay

Attachments

• WP_000202.jpg
    WP_000202.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 54
  • WP_000206.jpg
    WP_000206.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 53
  • WP_000207.jpg
    WP_000207.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 49
  • WP_000225.jpg
    WP_000225.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 51
  • WP_000226.jpg
    WP_000226.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 42
  • gray22s.jpg
    gray22s.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 703

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Nice transformation!! Your whole caliper situation sounds like it was a blast lol. Nice work

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Looking good, nice upgrade!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Definitely looks nice.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Looks great!

CdnGMan said:
I too, want to paint the calipers, but the thought of being without my ride for 3 days is quite the deterrent... ugh... :no:

Just something else to add to your list for Stef. :rotfl:

asautt

Dec 5, 2011
Looks good Jay! :wootwoot:

Debating if we want to go up to 20's on the wifes' rig. Will show her your pics and see what she thinks.

Alan

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Looks great bud!

Im waiting to see if this insurance dealeo works out to where I can get some FR 22s outta the deal... :biggrin:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Looking really good!!! :thumbsup:

I bet the chrome side moldings would look pretty good color matched to the wheels.

tokahao

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
fr34kout said:
Looks good with those SS rims man, a drop would set it off so nicely.

I've thought about it but right now it's out of my budget. For now I'm looking for running boards off an XL to give it a lower profile on the cheap... and also I'm worried that dropping it would force me to get one of those recon stickers :confused:

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Running boards would be a good choice too, my Denali had em stock and when I've seen like the TBSS without the running boards it looked too naked. Plus it makes the truck look lower to the ground without dropping it lol.

I'm currently on a 2/2 drop, about to add another 2" or so once the Belltech front struts aren't on back order anymore. Never had problems with cops YET, but being proactive and getting my recon this wednesday.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I need to get some of those rims for my truck!! Looks awesome man! :thumbsup:

tokahao

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
fr34kout said:
Never had problems with cops YET, but being proactive and getting my recon this wednesday.

Let me know how that goes. If it's easier than I've been hearing then I might consider getting the drop done. I'm 5'4" and jumping up to get in is getting old LOL. Like I said, running boards will help make it look lower... but now I realize that it'll also help me get in HAHA.

You got any pics posted yet?

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
loooks sweeeeeeeeeeeet yep a 2/3 drop and it will be sitting pretty

IHZ05VOY

Dec 8, 2011
Nice mod :thumbsup: I so want to add these puppys in my 05 Voy. Price for everything?? I might add the lowering kit too. You might want to also black out the GMC, simple mod but the look is slammin!

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Man that's nice looking. I'm up in the air on such low profile tires in MN but In Hawaii, I could def see them. I love the no moldings look but man is it impractical in parking lots. One of my 360's has moldings and not a single ding on it anywhere but the 9-7 with no mouldings seems to attract them to the passenger side, back door mostly from the airport where you can't defensivly park.

tokahao

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
She's just been washed so it's about time to show off the painted roof racks and new front mud guards...
View attachment 20093
had to paint the rack because it started to have this faded gray look to it, and the flaps are keeping the rocks from chipping away more of the lower door regions.
Definitely looking for a replacement grille or insert but can't decide.... thinking billet painted black.... open for inputs :confused:

Attachments

• WP_000473.jpg
    WP_000473.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 49

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I'm biased towards the Denali grill myself haha. Love those TBSS rims though, I so want a set for my truck. It would be cool to meet up and check out each others trucks one day, maybe bounce ideas off each other :thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
tokahao said:
She's just been washed so it's about time to show off the painted roof racks and new front mud guards...
View attachment 5719
had to paint the rack because it started to have this faded gray look to it, and the flaps are keeping the rocks from chipping away more of the lower door regions.
Definitely looking for a replacement grille or insert but can't decide.... thinking billet painted black.... open for inputs :confused:

You can delete the roof racks if you do not use them! Does look really smooth and will look good with the idea you have going :thumbsup:

tokahao

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011

Attachments

• WP_000573.jpg
    WP_000573.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 20
  • WP_000578.jpg
    WP_000578.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 17

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Looks good man! I have a lot of the same components on my truck, and it rides good even at my height lol. I'm sure you'll be happy with the 2/3

tokahao

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
fr34kout said:
Looks good man! I have a lot of the same components on my truck, and it rides good even at my height lol. I'm sure you'll be happy with the 2/3

Thanks! Yep, pretty excited to do the install. I saw some of your recent posts on tbssowners.com... have you installed your wheels/brakes/brake lines/caliper stickers yet?? Gonna have to meet up and take a "What did you park next to?" photo for the forum one day.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
tokahao said:
Thanks! Yep, pretty excited to do the install. I saw some of your recent posts on tbssowners.com... have you installed your wheels/brakes/brake lines/caliper stickers yet?? Gonna have to meet up and take a "What did you park next to?" photo for the forum one day.

Keepin tabs on me huh? Haha nah, they didn't go on yet. Actually just gave me friend the money to grab my tires yesterday, he got 2 today getting the other 2 tomorrow. Got a new bumper on the way (had a few mishaps, including my exhaust melting part of it). Once the bumper is here going to shave a few sections, get it painted, then get the rims and everything on before Traffic Jamz on March 30th. Guna cut it close but I should be able to do everything by then.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
tokahao said:
Gonna have to meet up and take a "What did you park next to?" photo for the forum one day.

Hawaii meet :wootwoot: I guess it's not the same if you live there. Do you both live on the same island?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Short Bus said:
Hawaii meet :wootwoot: I guess it's not the same if you live there. Do you both live on the same island?

According to Google maps they are only about 21 miles apart. Ya, a Hawaii meet, maybe a couple ferry loads of GMT's for a weekend :biggrin:,

Maybe I could meet the pretty girl on my key chain :cool:, she's with me all the time since these are my house n shop keys....

Attachments

• DSC03101.jpg
    DSC03101.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 9

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online