Different air filter help

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I'm looking at designing a different snorkel on my tb. It will come out of the top of the hood similar to a hummer. (I know theres comes out between the hood and windshield)

Mh issue is, our filters are huge. So was wondering how small of filter we can use on our engines?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The smaller you go, the faster it will get clogged up with dirt and stuff. So if you had a reusable filter, you'd just have to clean it more frequently, or replace it if not. That's all.

Reactions: Capote

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Well mine barely gets dirty as is. I was more worried about restricted air flow if there was a certain amount that had to go through.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Factory systems that "restrict the airflow" is the marketing scheme of all the aftermarket "performance" filter manufacturers. It's bullshit.

Get a good filter that fits and don't worry about size or "performance" claims. The Trailblazer will suck all the air it needs and no more.

This is why all the "cold air intake" systems don't contribute one single thing to performance ... and in some platforms such as ours, HURTS performance. It sucks HOT air from the engine compartment instead of cool air from the air-to-air intercooler on the factory system.

Keep in mind there is so much bullshit on the internet. There are marketing claims that cannot be back up by blind head-to-head testing, and at the other end, claims that filters such as the K&N harm your engine because they let more fine particles in to your engine.

There is no free lunch.

Aftermarket filters such as the K&N flow more air. They do this by the simple expediency of allowing more fine particles. It is basic physics.

The issue here is that more air does not equate to more horsepower. But at the other end, more fine dust does not equate to more harm to your engine.

Engines are DESIGNED to suck some dust. That is what the oil is for. (The old - "cleans, lubricates, cools and protects" thing.) In my opinion, the greater fine dust sucked in because of aftermarket filters such as the K&N do ZERO harm to an engine in the long term. This is why I ditched the K&N "cold air" intake, and went back to just the K&N tube (for cool sound reasons) and the K&N filter in the factory airbox.

So ... my advice; get the aftermarket filter that seems to fit and looks cool. Don't sweat it, and don't believe everything you read on the internet - good or bad.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
So you are cutting a hole in your hood and removing the air filter every time you need to open the hood?

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Air filter would still be under the hood but the air inlet would be above the hood like a hummer snorkel. But if you wanted it higher up you can unscrew it and add a longer pipe to it. I would seal around the hood with weather stripping to clean it up. But yes to open the hood the inlet would have to come off first.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
COuld run it back in the cab like the mud trucks

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
But then there is no forced air andpretty sure that would be noisy. I know my fwi on my bonneville was loud on the initial start up.

But i wouldnt trust the sealing job with that set up.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The way you're planning to set this up, wouldn't really be forced either, any pressure that would be higher than what the engine was pulling in, would simply flow around the sides and top of the filter. No gain there.

As for noise, probably wouldn't be that bad, couldn't be any worse than having the HVAC blower turned up. All you've got is air moving... :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online