DFWWIZ Cree/Philips LED headlights

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
So I have been reading on TBSS about the cree led headlights that DFWWIZ is selling and wondering if any guys here have got them. I was going to order some here soon, but a buddy of mine brought up a good point and i figured i would ask here and see if anyone knows about the bad weather conditions with these lights? Do they reflect off rain, snow, fog less than hids? Being in southern IA, it seems like weather changes every couple hours lol, so was just wondering how they preform in the "real" world conditions. :smile: Thanks Guys!!!

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
I bought them for my fogs. Had a storm in New York a week ago and they worked fine. And I went for a 200 mile drive all together all at night and they worked fine

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
kjkim93 said:
I bought them for my fogs. Had a storm in New York a week ago and they worked fine. And I went for a 200 mile drive all together all at night and they worked fine

how was light output? The light up the road good? reflect off the snow at all??

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Midnyteryder02 said:
how was light output? The light up the road good? reflect off the snow at all??

Well you have to remember now adays fogs are mostly just for looks. I've had 35w 3000k HIDs in it and it was just bright. With the new Crees it seems like there's more usable light. For snow it reflected of nicely not enough to blind you but so it helps to see that snow is there

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
kjkim93 said:
Well you have to remember now adays fogs are mostly just for looks. I've had 35w 3000k HIDs in it and it was just bright. With the new Crees it seems like there's more usable light. For snow it reflected of nicely not enough to blind you but so it helps to see that snow is there

nice, alright thanks!! so since you had hids in and now leds.. which would you recommend?? I originally thought that I wanted to go with 6k hids in both highs and lows, but after seeing the post on tbss, im thinking about the leds all around.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Personally I am going with the CREEs because you don't have to mod the lighting system. with HIDs you have to definitely kill the DRLs or you will blow out the igniters

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I will be ordering up some lows and fogs but waiting to hear from Kev on some updated crees for headlights/fogs. He advised that if you do purchase the crees dont run them during the daytime ( DRL )because it's hard on the drivers.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
TexazReece said:
I will be ordering up some lows and fogs but waiting to hear from Kev on some updated crees for headlights/fogs. He advised that if you do purchase the crees dont run them during the daytime ( DRL )because it's hard on the drivers.

I do remember Kev saying that.. i was going to do the drl killer anyway wether i went hids or leds. I just gotta figure out which killer i wanna do, I havent decided if i wanna keep the auto function or not. It will probably be mid feb before i order either hids or leds though so got time to do more research lol

I thought bout getting these about the same time also.. 02 03 04 05 06 09 Chevy Trailblazer 2X CCFL Halo LED Projector Headlights | eBay but still undecided on them.. :confused:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
My opinion, I think you are better off doing the capacitor mod. You keep all stock functions and you have 100% power going to your HID/LEDs at all times. You can always use the selector to turn off your headlights during the day. I have been doing it for five years, no big deal.

Sep 28, 2013
I run the CREE lights up here in South Dakota and i have had zero complaints with them! Even during the 50 below weather!!! i plan to get the fogs soon to match up. I've always done HID's and now i prefer the CREE lights over HID, the instant on was my selling point!!

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
stealthyscooby said:
I run the CREE lights up here in South Dakota and i have had zero complaints with them! Even during the 50 below weather!!! i plan to get the fogs soon to match up. I've always done HID's and now i prefer the CREE lights over HID, the instant on was my selling point!!

any pics?? especially from inside looking out?:biggrin:

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
I've been investigating the LED also. Seen some good reviews and my son regularly installs them on off-road vehicles (with good results) at his shop, V3 Jeeps, Louisville, KY.

One thing that I think matters, and that most people don't understand very well is the "color" of the lighting. Many want to get into the hyper-white or "blue" territory (6000K and above). I've found that the 4500K light, though a tad "yellow" gives a much more usable light for conditions outside of urban areas where streets are commonly lit by pinkish street lights. Once in rural territory the 4500K seems to illuminate the really important stuff like DEER much better than the higher colors. For some, it is "fad" over "function" (and again, in city driving it seldom matters) but for me it is FUNCTION FIRST. On any given day I can see between 10-100 deer and other critters along the roadways, and I drive in rather severe weather conditions driven by Lake Michigan effects (deadly fog, snow of all sorts, etc.).

I have looked at a lot of evidence, both in person (seeing the lights work) and in research.

This photo seems to do the best of explaining the color choice -- note how much of the surroundings one can see with 4500K versus the higher K lamps (all running in the same fixture and the same wattage).

View attachment 32103

Attachments

• 443893313_708.jpg
    443893313_708.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 569

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
4300k is the brightest that produces the most lumens at around 3200. The higher you go up in the Kelvin scale, the lower the lumen output.

For comparison, standard halogen bulbs are around 900 lumen. In my opinion, if you are buying HID/LEDs over 6000k, you are wasting your money. 4300k-4500k is the way to go.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
bbarker89 said:
Are the crees straight up plug and play?

From what I read in Kevin's thread over on SSOwners, yes they are.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Midnyteryder02 said:
Nice! Gonna have to order set here soon. I also wish my parks only came on with my fogs... :sadcry:

So you mean you don't want them to come on with your low beams? If so, how comfortable are you with wire splicing?

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Blckshdw said:
So you mean you don't want them to come on with your low beams? If so, how comfortable are you with wire splicing?

I want them to come on with low beams too, but right now when I hit the fog switch, the fogs come on, but also the lows come on with them. I would like the option to run just park and fogs.. but still have the ability to run fogs with lows too..

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Midnyteryder02 said:
I want them to come on with low beams too, but right now when I hit the fog switch, the fogs come on, but also the lows come on with them. I would like the option to run just park and fogs.. but still have the ability to run fogs with lows too..

What year is your truck? With my switch I can just turn my low beams off and drive with fogs and parking light

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Its an 03 tb ext.. I have the switch where I can turn to left to kill DRL/ahl.. if that makes a difference at all.. it can be bright sunny out and soon as I hit the fog switch, fogs and lows along with park and tails come on

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I may be wrong, but everyone seems to be talking about LEDs for the fog lamps. I'd like to replace my HID's, is that an option? I've got one that flickers with bumps in the road, and rather then throw parts at it the LED seems like a good upgrade.

With the Saab, the running lights are the DRL, so no half power issues here!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Instrumental said:
I may be wrong, but everyone seems to be talking about LEDs for the fog lamps. I'd like to replace my HID's, is that an option? I've got one that flickers with bumps in the road, and rather then throw parts at it the LED seems like a good upgrade.

Kevin has 9006 and 9005 kits as well :thumbsup:

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Instrumental said:

Yup he also has it for the low beam and high beam. And in three different lumen!

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Sorry about not getting on here all the time. I have my hands full these days. Seems that I am the only one in the US with my type of Cree/drivers (3600 lumen quad Cree) and its gone viral in about 3 forums. I'm usually almost sold out before I get a shipment in so always playing catch up.
I'm getting another order together right now for 20 or more sets-mostly 9005 high beam, 9006 low beam, and 880 fog. This will be going in by either tomorrow or Monday so it can get shipped out before the Chinese New Years holiday hits on the 26th thru the 8th. If anyone wants another type bulb let me know.
other types available-H3, H4, H7, H8, H9, H10, H11
one set is $70 +5.80 priority mail shipping
2 sets $140 + 11 pms
3 sets $210 + 14 pms
paypal is kdhwiz@aol.com

this is looking out from my garage with high beams only on

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
what are the output lumens for the Fogs at 5500K? I am looking for some thing to supplement my lighting on low beams, some brightness, if not just a bit brighter than my lows.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Ok...so the same problem exists as with HIDs when using these with DRLs or will they be fine for awhile with the system left stock just have a reduced life expectancy out of them? I suspect that as part of the transition to Canada i believe the headlight switch was changed for a Canadian version due to the fact that when i attempt to turn the lights out nothing happens other then the switch being spring loaded and snapping back to "Auto" for headlight function. I am ok with doing the cap mod eventually...like say spring or summer when im not dealing with the snow and the cold lol

Dec 4, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:
Ok...so the same problem exists as with HIDs when using these with DRLs or will they be fine for awhile with the system left stock just have a reduced life expectancy out of them? I suspect that as part of the transition to Canada i believe the headlight switch was changed for a Canadian version due to the fact that when i attempt to turn the lights out nothing happens other then the switch being spring loaded and snapping back to "Auto" for headlight function. I am ok with doing the cap mod eventually...like say spring or summer when im not dealing with the snow and the cold lol

The "Auto" feature is built into most if not all these vehicles. In Canada we need to have the DRL operational by law. When I imported my Envoy, Crappy Tire said I needed to hard wire the DRL's so they couldn't be turned off. That is a bunch of poo. We (the shop that did my safety check) checked with Transport Canada and if the DRL's come on when the truck is started that is sufficient. Crappy Tire just wanted to get another pile of money out of me for doing something that wasn't necessary. The got paid 200.00 for a 10 min inspection in the driveway to the shop that confirmed that the truck complied with Canadian Standards. I believe the switch just turns the DRL off, however when you restart the truck the DRL's come on again. After riding a motorcycle for several years I want my DRL's on. If another driver sees me, the better for me. Remember in a motorcycle/car accident it doesn't matter who was at fault the motorcycle driver will probably be just as DEAD.

However I DON'T have HID's and I understand they need to have full power otherwise havoc occurs so you would need to change the circuitry to accommodate this.

Here is link if you want to read more about lighting. Now remember all you read on the internet is the ABSOLUTE truth, :rotfl: correct. But information is just that information, we need to decide for ourselves what is relevant.

www.danielsternlighting.com

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
So with these new cree lights would you still be able to mod the 9005's to fit the 9006 socket or is it not worth it? I have the halogens modded now and use the fogs all the time at night on some of the roads we travel. Now I need to convince my wife we need $150 worth of lights.lol

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
It appears that all of DFWWIZ LED lights are 3600 lumen so there would be no need to convert a 9005 bulb to fit the 9006 socket as light output is the same across the board.

Instead of doing the DRL killer mod, you should look into doing the capacitor mod. It will supply 100% power to your headlights at all times. You still retain all of the stock functions and have the option to turn off the DRLs with the headlight switch.

The capicitor mod only costs about $6 with parts from Radio Shack and 15 minutes to install. I would imagine with LEDs you would want 100% power at all times to preserve the life of the SMDs.

As for lumen output based on the kelvin scale, remember the higher up in the scale the lower the lumen output. Best to stay in between 4300k and 6000k to get your moneys worth.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm

Members Online