Designing the 2nd Generation TrailBlazer SUV

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Since the http://gmtnation.com/f4/2013-trailblazer-827/index3.html thread is locked I guess I will post this here.

Chevrolet Trailblazer to launch in U.S. next year?
If a new report proves accurate, General Motors could be planning to send its latest Chevrolet Trailblazer body-on-frame SUV to U.S. showrooms in the near future.

Citing unnamed industry sources, Edmunds says that the General may offer a U.S.-market version of the new-generation Trailblazer midsize utility beginning next year.

Unveiled at the 2012 Bangkok Auto Show, the Trailblazer shares underpinnings with the Chevrolet Colorado midsize pickup, which will arrive stateside next year (along with a new GMC Canyon) as a 2015 model. The seven-passenger SUV features body-on-frame architecture along with coil springs and a multilink rear suspension for a blend of traditional SUV towing and off-roading capabilities and reasonably refined on-road dynamics.
Read more at Chevrolet Trailblazer to launch in U.S. next year?

If we do get a US Version, I hope to god they listen to what AMERICANS and I guess Canadians want.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
It does look different in the promos. The pic from the rear looks like a minivan. Almost a traversevan on frame. Disappointing.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011

Attachments

• 2013-chevrolet-blazer-concept.jpg
    2013-chevrolet-blazer-concept.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 25

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Now that TB I would definitely buy. I like the look of the wheels. Interesting choice of engine options though. The stock 4.2L I6 is around 176 horsepower and 196 lb-ft torque roughly. I bet you can get some pretty good MPGs out of the 2.8L and six-speed manual transmission. The high cost of diesel would probably even out the numbers though.

-2.5-liter turbodiesel four-cylinder with 150 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque
-2.8-liter turbodiesel four with 180 horsepower and 346 lb-ft of torque
-3.6-liter gasoline V6 with 239 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I really hope they bring this to the US. I'm not a huge fan of the rear end, but i do like the front quite a bit. Also, whose to say they wont redesign the body by then? At the very least, I'm happy to get the platform back so that it is at least another option, as I'm not a huge fan of the current midsize suv offerings.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
dmanns67 said:
Now that TB I would definitely buy. I like the look of the wheels. Interesting choice of engine options though. The stock 4.2L I6 is around 176 horsepower and 196 lb-ft torque roughly. I bet you can get some pretty good MPGs out of the 2.8L and six-speed manual transmission. The high cost of diesel would probably even out the numbers though.

-2.5-liter turbodiesel four-cylinder with 150 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque

You referring to our 4.2L I6? Because it is around 290 HP and 275 ft-lb.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
dmanns67 said:

Maybe they will be paired up with the 9 & 10 speed they are working on.

Ford, GM to collaborate on 9- and 10-speed transmissions - Autoblog

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The US market looks like it will see the redesigned Colorado first later this year. I still can't locate any details about its 4WD system or a lo range transfer case. But a new TB with turbo diesel, body on frame, and a decent towing capacity - I'd be all over that. What sort of plastic crap they put on for front and rear bumpers would be irrelevant, because I'd rip those off before I wheeled it the first time.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Roadie, I was looking at the seams for those bumpers... looks like the entire grille/bumper/etc is all one big piece! :crazy:

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
Sparky said:
Roadie, I was looking at the seams for those bumpers... looks like the entire grille/bumper/etc is all one big piece! :crazy:

as soon as someone gets one they will have to take it to Mike Barton for fabrication!!!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sparky said:
You referring to our 4.2L I6? Because it is around 290 HP and 275 ft-lb.

Yep. I definitely fat fingered that one and wrote it backwards. Thanks for the correction :thumbsup:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
dmanns67 said:
Yep. I definitely fat fingered that one and wrote it backwards. Thanks for the correction :thumbsup:

2002 270 hp
2003–2005 275 hp
2006–2009 291 hp

I don't see us getting the diesel for a long time.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Yeah I am sure. The 2.8L turbo diesel definitely puts out some torque, but I am not too excited about the 180hp. I would assume the 2nd Gen would weigh less than current 5000lb +/- TBs.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:

Sawzall :thumbsup:

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
[Facebook: Chevy Trucks]

We heard you - now we’re proud to announce that an all-new Chevrolet Colorado is joining our lineup of Chevy Trucks. Here’s a sneak peak of what’s to come and stay tuned to the Chevy Trucks Facebook page for more info.

1146470_10151753907173150_228125528_n.jpg

I don't think it looks nothing like what we were teased with...

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Wow what a complete 180 from the international version, they seem to look like trucks! I'll have to go "like" on facebook then.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
The rumors Ive heard are that the US "Colorado"/"Canyon" could have a different name AND share very little with their Global counterparts. Doesnt make sense to me, but then again some stuff car manufacture's do dont make sense anyway...

Id take a TB with a diesel, doesnt need to be fast but I need something to replace the 02 for towing duty. My parents dont want a Tahoe, too dang big for them and my SS is quickly getting to the point where it's not feasible to tow with it. :cool:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
It's been confirmed that the Colorado/Canyon will be getting diesel engine. So hopefully they continue on to the rumoured North America version of the Trailblazer.

GM's compact trucks to get diesel option

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
I could see getting a 2nd gen TB if the Diesel did come out. Guess we will see what happens by the time i pay mine off in 5 years lol

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Colorados/Canyon & overseas Trailblazer spotted out testing. Still gives me hope they might make a USA version TB. Also the crew cab colorado (covered) looks pretty big.

[video=youtube;CBPEw0ItTok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBPEw0ItTok[/video]

smt 59

If GMC brings back the Envoy it may loose the bubble look and get squared up a little more, in regards to the front bumper being one unit, I also own a 2010 Equinox and ya it looks like it is the same design.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Why is everyone taking perfectly nice-looking SUVs and turning them into stupid crossovers these days? :hissyfit:

The new TrailBlazer looks like a grocery-getter, rather than just being an SUV some people use to get groceries.

Grand Cherokees have become Soccer-Mom-Mobiles.

Explorers look like somebody accidentally put the Explorer badges on a new minivan concept they've come up with.

Escapes look like they couldn't escape over a low curb.

The latest Durangos are listed as full-size SUV, but there's no S or U in that SUV.

All of these brands had model years that looked rough-and-tough, ready to go, ready to at least do some light offroading and take you to a few new places.

Now they're all marketed like they could do the same, but likely get hung up by a wad of gum. There's no ground clearance to try anything like that anymore. There's no image to back up their claims of adventure. This isn't what the American market wants, this is what stay-at-home mothers want (no offense to stay-at-home moms who actually like to play in the mud rather than calling a small puddle a bog). Most of these come with AWD now, and as far as I know AWD isn't quite as rugged and tolerant to abuse as a full-blown 4x4 system, but that's just from what I understand of them.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. :frown:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
2015-chevrolet-trailblazer-rendered-72811_1.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I like the look of that. Far better.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Inert_Static said:
It just looks small and boxy to me... :banghead:

I like the front end of what I have more than that one for sure, but this at least is an improvement over the global 2nd gen that looks like a roided Traverse :puke:

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Porkins said:

Now that I could see buying in a heartbeat to go with my 1st gen!

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Looks like a pathfinder with a Chevy grille or perhaps a little to much like the horrible Equinix and Traverse had sex.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
the roadie said:
If it doesn't have a frame, a solid rear axle, and a low range transfer case it's dead to me. Everything else could be fixed by Sawzall and spacers.

I very much agree, without that it's just a "tougher" (and that is subject to opinion) face put on the bunch of crossovers GM already offers.

On the other hand, if it does have these, even if solid front isn't an option if they don't route the shaft through the engine like with our gen, that would be a major boost to potential. An AWD system would also be a complete deal-breaker for me. I take all-terrain over merely "all-weather," and in my opinion as much goes wrong with the 1st-gen 4x4, an AWD usually has more mechanical points of failure in my opinion, and it's hard to beat a gear-locked center with at least a locking rear when it comes to a feeling that you can at least make it through, or dig yourself deep enough to make quite the story to tell the grandkids.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online