cree vs hid

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Ok guys here is the million dollar question. If a person has standard headlamps and is looking to upgrade, what would you recommend and why? I have been reading on the cree's and the HID's from RFS, not sure which one is best right now. And mods please feel free to move this post if needed to the proper thread.

Reactions: Mounce

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have hid but really have considered cree. Curious to know what the guys that have ran both really think.

Reactions: BHAMER

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I haven't tried the Cree kits yet, as between here and SSOwners, I see way too many cases of driver failures. I would consider them for high beams only at this point. I've seen some kits on Ebay that are for projectors, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger due to previously stated reasons.

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Thats exactly what I am wondering my self. I was ready to do the HID's then this new Cree thing came into play. The cost really isn't a factor, but before I spend the money just curious on what everyone thinks about them.

When I read the cree thread, I did see a lot of driver failure as well, that is one thing that is concerning me. I didn't see anything recent about the drivers being better yet?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
The Crees are bright, but a little on the blueish side. They appear to be around 6500k-7000k. I prefer 4300k.

They also produce a strange beam pattern as compared to halogens or HIDs. I have the Crees in my hi beams and they do a good job lighting up the road, but the light is not distributed evenly on the road. Areas will be brighter and some darker.

I cannot say how the beam pattern is when running the Crees in the low beams, but I would imagine it would be close to the same.

If you are not going with a projector headlight, then I would say go with HIDs for the low beam and Crees for the hi beam.

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I don't think I am ready for the full blown projector project yet...lol But with what I am seeing and hearing from a few people, the HID seem to be the way to go. But I can see my self eventually falling into the retrofit project... :crazy:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Retrofits can get expensive quickly. Nothing wrong with using HIDs in the stock housing. Just make sure to lower the angle of the headlights so you are not blinding oncoming traffic.

Crees are perfect for the hi beam since they do not require any warm up time. Unlike HIDs, you can turn the Crees on and off repeatedly which is no big deal. When HIDs are on, they like to stay on.

The Retrofit Source will having a sale in the next couple weeks. Maybe you can be the first person here to try out their new XB35 HID bulbs, ballasts, and wire harness.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I have run both HID's and Cree's. I prefer the Cree's. Yes, there were some driver issues but I believe they have been fixed, at least, the replacements that Kevin sent to me haven't missed a beat in the past 6+ months.

I'm actually running the Cree's in my lows and fogs and will be getting a set for my highs. Have to say I'm pleased with his product.

Reactions: dmanns67

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Retrofits can get expensive quickly.
Retrofits=expensive? [emoji33]

Just kidding but ya with my lt quads and fogs ive got about a grand into the lightning alone if not more but hands down the best vision at night never been flashed while driving at night so im going to say stick with the hids warm up time is alot faster with h1s in the projectors compared to just swapping out the stock but I also prefer 6000k bulbs never had anything else[emoji106]

Reactions: dmanns67 and BHAMER

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Depending on the sale, looks like a great idea. Even with out the sale it isn't horribly priced only $170. I think thats next!!! I wont even have to convince the wife cause this morning she was complaining that it was hard to see!!!

Reactions: Mounce and dmanns67

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
dmanns67 said:
Retrofits can get expensive quickly. Nothing wrong with using HIDs in the stock housing. Just make sure to lower the angle of the headlights so you are not blinding oncoming traffic.
Uh yes there technically is. While our housings aren't too terrible for them they still are pretty bright. Aiming them downwards also defeats the purpose a bit.

No comparison to having a real projector, both from the driver's visibility POV, and for oncoming traffic, especially cars. I hate it when I'm driving my Camaro and someone comes the other way running HIDs shoved in stock housings.

Many of us do go crazy with our retrofits lol but for $200 ish you can get a set of projectors and really good HIDs from TRS that will install with minimal modification.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Matt said:
I have run both HID's and Cree's. I prefer the Cree's. Yes, there were some driver issues but I believe they have been fixed, at least, the replacements that Kevin sent to me haven't missed a beat in the past 6+ months.

I'm actually running the Cree's in my lows and fogs and will be getting a set for my highs. Have to say I'm pleased with his product.
Do you have stock housing or projectors? I cant remember offhand. I wonder if one combo out does another....ie) stock housing is best with cree while if you have projectors the HID is better....

Aarkon said:
but I also prefer 6000k bulbs never had anything else[emoji106]
How do you prefer something when you never had anything to compare to? You have no point of reference for a preference to be made.

Sparky said:
Uh yes there technically is. While our housings aren't too terrible for them they still are pretty bright. Aiming them downwards also defeats the purpose a bit.
I have never been brighted with my HIDs, but I have seen some that are horrible coming at me in other vehicles.

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
How do you prefer something when you never had anything to compare to? You have no point of reference for a preference to be made.
Pretty easily everyone in my town seems too have hids ive seen from 4300k to 12000k anything above 6000k was useless light and 4300k was too yellow the only other one I might consider was 5000k but I have always preferred the diamond white

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
What are the thoughts on the 5five ballast versus the 3five ballast? It looks as if the 5five makes them brighter, but is that worth the lower life expectancy of the bulbs?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think 5000 vs 6000 is so close you could not tell and different brands have the same temp labelled as either. I use "5000" and it is whiter than friends with "6000." I would choose 5 or 6 over anything else myself as well. It is the most usable light without the yellow tint.

My leds bars are definitely 8000ish and it is great light but too blue is some aspects, but I would rather have more blue than yellow. It was advertised as 6000.

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:

I have never been brighted with my HIDs, but I have seen some that are horrible coming at me in other vehicles.
Hardtrailz, did you aim your HIDs a little lower at all, or aim them like normal? Just trying to get a feel for what all is needed to do. I too have been blinded by someone that have had the bulbs in all wonky..

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I did not aim them down. They are as normal as possible with my lifts n such.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
BHAMER said:
What are the thoughts on the 5five ballast versus the 3five ballast? It looks as if the 5five makes them brighter, but is that worth the lower life expectancy of the bulbs?
Unless you drive on poorly/unlit roads regularly, you probably don't need the extra brightness from a 55W setup.

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
good to know. I wasnt to sure on the bigger ballast. It also has a lower warranty, so that was another reason I was curious.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
BHAMER said:
If you use the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors you don't want to use more than 35W otherwise you risk burning up the smaller projector.

Reactions: Blckshdw

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sparky said:

No comparison to having a real projector, both from the driver's visibility POV, and for oncoming traffic, especially cars. I hate it when I'm driving my Camaro and someone comes the other way running HIDs shoved in stock housings.

Many of us do go crazy with our retrofits lol but for $200 ish you can get a set of projectors and really good HIDs from TRS that will install with minimal modification.
I agree 100%. A projector with a HID bulb is the top of the line when it comes to lighting performance. I use to get flashed a lot when running HIDs in the stock housings. It was not until I used the vertical adjustment to slightly lower the hot spot that I did not get flashed. To be honest, I could not tell a difference in light on the road after lowering them. I did notice that I did not get flashed at all afterwards.

BHAMER said:
LIke Carlton said, 55w ballast and HID in the low beam is definitely not needed. It will be entirely way too bright. Not to mention that the life of the HID is lower at 55w compared to 35w.

Also, on HIDP forum I have read and seen pictures of guys who ran 55w HIDs inside of projectors and the extreme heat destroyed the chrome on the reflector bowl over time rendering the projector useless.

Stock housing or projector, I would definitely stick with 35w. I mean HIDs are roughly three times as bright as a basic halogen bulb (900 lumens) in regards to lumen output. 4300K provides the most lumen output (around 3200 lumen). If I am spending money for lighting performance, it only makes sense to buy the HID bulb with the most lumen output.

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Thanks that made a lot of sense. This is the info I was DEFINITELY looking for!!
Once again YOU GUYS ROCK!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Do you have stock housing or projectors? I cant remember offhand. I wonder if one combo out does another....ie) stock housing is best with cree while if you have projectors the HID is better....
I have the stock housing. One day I might get Smitty to make me a set of projectors.

DonnyDrywall

Nov 26, 2013
I havent ran HIDs but a couple co-workers have and they seem to be happy with them. I LOVE my cree headlights. I havent had a driver fail and I'm approaching a year with them. I have had to exchange out both my low beams at separate times. when one failed i just put the high beam in its place and drove like that until my new bulb showed up in the mail. I honestly see no diffrence between the bulbs, only that the low beam headlight housing has that "diffuser" thing.

any way here are some photos of the light patterns from an old topic of mine.

this is the low beam
post-4939-13979840887_thumb.jpg

this is high beam only
post-4939-139798408926_thumb.jpg

I did the Quad High Beam MOD this pic is from a distance but.... its bright
post-4939-139798408905_thumb.jpg

and this is low beam on the road
post-4939-139798409015_thumb.jpg

I have stock housings and I think its worth mentioning that the replacment low beams i recieved are diffrent revs and seem to be performing much better than the originals i recieved.

Reactions: Mounce and dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
After having Crees in my hi beams, I do not think I would like them in my low beams due to their strange light distribution pattern. The Crees project a lot of light in the reflector housing, but it is all over the place. You have spots or areas on the road that are way brighter than other areas.

Yeah you have four Crees, but only two on each side of the post whereas with a HID bulb, it projects light in 360° which fills the reflector housing and allows for even distribution of light on the road. I went with the Crees for the hi beams becuase they are instant on (no warm up time) and it does not affect them as much as HIDs to constantly turn them on/off or flash.

I have already had two Cree boards fail on one of my lights. The Crees have less than two hours of use on them.

Your Crees seem to produce a whiter light than mine. The ones I have look to be 7,000k-8,000k. Almost a bluish/purplish light. Was hoping for around 5,000k in color. You can see the blue/purple color on my garage. The white in the middle is my 4300k HIDs.

IMG_20141020_002024.jpg

IMG_20141020_001920.jpg

Reactions: Aarkon and Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
dmanns67 said:
After having Crees in my hi beams, I do not think I would like them in my low beams due to their strange light distribution pattern. The Crees project a lot of light in the reflector housing, but it is all over the place. You have spots or areas on the road that are way brighter than other areas.

Yeah you have four Crees, but only two on each side of the post whereas with a HID bulb, it projects light in 360° which fills the reflector housing and allows for even distribution of light on the road. I went with the Crees for the hi beams becuase they are instant on (no warm up time) and it does not affect them as much as HIDs to constantly turn them on/off or flash.

I have already had two Cree boards fail on one of my lights. The Crees have less than two hours of use on them.

Your Crees seem to produce a whiter light than mine. The ones I have look to be 7,000k-8,000k. Almost a bluish/purplish light. Was hoping for around 5,000k in color. You can see the blue/purple color on my garage. The white in the middle is my 4300k HIDs.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20141020_002024.jpg

attachicon.gif
IMG_20141020_001920.jpg
Wonder if your replacement boards will be the same color...

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
dmanns67 said:

IMG_20141020_002024.jpg

IMG_20141020_001920.jpg
Whoa! That is definitely way too blue. My Crees aren't anywhere near that blue - they're a LITTLE bluish but not at all that color. I run Crees in my high, low, and fog lights. Surprisingly enough, the fog lights are the only housings that don't leave "dark spots" in the beam. On low beam it is a little noticeable, but gets better with fogs. But, on high beam, especially with my 6hi mod, there is virtually no unlit area in front of me lol. The only thing I can complain about really is the distance of light projection - the Crees seem to not put light quite as far down the road as the halogens did, but that's all in the housing design, since the housing was designed for halogens. I like mine because I run curvy two lane roads at speeds under 55 mph at night a LOT. The light output is amazing. If I were to run on more open roads that were straighter with higher speeds, I would consider another lighting source that projected further.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Envoy_04 said:
Whoa! That is definitely way too blue. My Crees aren't anywhere near that blue - they're a LITTLE bluish but not at all that color.
I was thinking the same thing after I installed them and comparing to others pics. I have new Cree boards coming in the mail, since I already had one Cree fail, and after I solder them I will see id there is a color difference. Looks at everyone's pics, I assumed the Crees were around 5000k in color. Mine were definitely on the higher side of the kelvin scale.

swede

Jun 22, 2014
Well I know this is an old thread but why start a new one when we have so much information in this one, I like to expand the light issue to LED bulbs like these ones, especially for low beam and fog light:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/9006-led

Pros and cons and if anybody tried them?

E.i these 30 W 3000 lumen LEDs, is it crap or any good?

Attachments

• led_bulb.jpg
    led_bulb.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 20

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think they're overpriced crap compared to HIDs. Just my opinion. :tiphat:

Uneven dispersion of light with having one chip on each side compared to HID that disperses light a true 360°.

You can get a decent set of HIDs in the states for $30-$40 from Ebay but can't get a decent set of leds for under $75.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
There's something about a LED headlight in a reflector housing. Beam pattern is weird and output is off.

I would go with HIDs in the low beams before LEDs :twocents:

TRS FTW, not cheap EBay HIDs.

Reactions: BHAMER and Mounce

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
I'm curious about running a good set of LEDs. Like many others, I don't want to run HIDs without their full potential in a retrofit or all of the other supporting modifications that would need to be done as well.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Stewzer55 said:
I'm curious about running a good set of LEDs. Like many others, I don't want to run HIDs without their full potential in a retrofit or all of the other supporting modifications that would need to be done as well.
Just wait. TRS is developing a projector to be used specifically with a LED bulb.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mounce said:
LEDs have little potential in a halogen reflector, too.
Good point and key word there is "halogen" reflector housing. A lot of the new vehicles running LED headlights have small reflector housings.

BMW has some awesome LED technology going on. I have a feeling in the near future projectors and HIDs will be old news. Maybe as common as halogen reflector housings.

I am interested to see what TRS comes up with for their LED projector and the LED headlight to use with it.

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
I'm running stock halogens now and for what I've had before my Trailblazer, they are still pretty decent. I know that the output is down from new bulbs due to wear but as far as stock halogen systems go, the Trailblazer has been the best so far.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yeah, TB headlights are decent IMO. Want some more light during night driving hook up the 4 or 6 hi mod, it's like daylight. (But you can't use it around other drivers, it's like daylight to them too but pointing in their eyes.)

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Honestly.. Hids in our stock housings are not that terrible.. Just have to adjust your lights down a tad as to not blind oncoming drivers.. Once you go hids.. You most deff won't want to go back to halogens... Stock housings or not...
As for leds.. Still have some ways to come before I will probably get any.. The ones from kevin were having some driver issues.. I'm not for sure if that has been taken care of or not.. But I still think leds need some more research and testing done before being used as pnp bulbs...

Reactions: BHAMER and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online

No members online now.