NEED HELP Can anyone help roll back Tech2WIN to V30.004

jaysands95

Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
Colorado
Just purchased a VCX NANO, got mostly everything installed except now I have to roll the version of TECH2WIN back to 30.004 in order to relearn the VIN to Navigation radio, does anyone have a link as to where I can find this download? there are videos that show how it's done but I'm having trouble finding the link that works. If anyone has done this and is willing to help, I would really appreciate it. The GM techs at the dealer here have no clue how to even do this with a Tech2 scanner being my 2010 did not come with a nav radio. IF SOMEONE CAN REMOTE INTO MY COMPUTER AND DO THIS FOR ME I WILL MAKE IT WORTH YOUR TIME!! THANKS

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
A Few Preliminary Items Require Your Attention... IF YOU ALREADY OWN A "GYMKO" TECH2:

(1A) Visit THIS Link FIRST at Post# 57 and Download the *.BIN File Flavor of Your Choice:

(1B) Or... Visit THIS Cloud and Download that Specific *.BIN File Flavor of Your Choice:

(2) The Tech 2 Device is Equipped with Two PCMCIA Card Slots.
(3) The Required OEM PCMCIA Format is NOT in the Typical, Standard ATA Version.
(4) The Requisite New PCMCIA Card MUST be in the "Flat Ram" Linear Flash Ram Design...
(5) Visit THESE Two Sites and follow the Instructions for Prepping a New Linear PCMCIA Card with the Alternate, Earlier Version of the *.BIN File:

PS... Linear RAM PCMCIA Cards can be Hard to Find... and get VERY Expensive... Check HERE for one that is a little larger than your *.BIN File:

The WIKI about Tech2 Linear PCMCIA Card Design:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He doesn't have a Tech 2 but a VCX Nano using Tech2Win. Unfortunately we don't have much experience here with Tech2Win

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Right... and this explanation is the length and breadth of the answers he sought from the Dealership and was denied...and so the above data serves to fill in the blanks for anyone who actually owns one. Owners of the VXDIAG Installation Disk might consider viewing their Sub-Directories and File Layouts and perhaps help the OP figure out what files need to be exchanged to make it work retroactively for earlier *.BIN Files. Just trying to be comprehensive...

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
As of late last week, I'm the proud owner of a new VXDIAG VCX Nano too! 😃 (More about that in another thread soon.)

I'm not an expert on the Tech2Win software yet, but it seems quite flexible to me.

I suspect that you could easily use that download that @mrrsm supplied the link to (Note: when unzipping, it needs 'mhhauto junkie' as the password) to run Tech2Win with version 30.004.

EDIT: Some of this information below this point is misleading and/or inaccurate! Please also see my following post for tested, working instructions!

Caveat: I have not tested any of this, so proceed with caution and make good backups first of anything you move, change, etc!

Having said that, I suspect that you could just move this file somewhere else, to keep it safe:
Code:
C:\Users\Public\General Motors\Tech2Win\pcmcia\North American Operations.bin
IIUC, that's the 33.004 version, as provided with the VXDIAG-supplied (VCX Nano) software.

Then, you'd copy the extracted 'GM NAO V30.004.bin' into that same directory and select (I suspect) "North American" in the "Tech2Win-Configurator" window, like you probably are already doing now.

Note: The reason I suggest moving the 33.004 bin file out of the working directory first is that I think the v30.004 bin file might cause a pushbutton to appear in the "Tech2Win-Configurator" window with the same "North American" text as with the v33.004 bin file. But, again, I have not tested this!

EDIT: Information below here is still accurate....

The Tech2Win has a "Help", "Help Topics..." entry, which brings up the documentation. Once opened, go to the "Index" tab. Check out the "PCMCIA Images" section, which explains more. There's also the "Configuration File" section, which explains various ways to control Tech2Win (pay special attention to the '-P0' and '-P1' options).

So, there are probably multiple ways to accomplish your goal.

There's also a "Help", "Command Line Parameter" menu entry which brings up a window showing all of the configuration options used when Tech2Win was last started. This could be useful in debugging, if needed.

Good luck and please let us know if you need more info!

Last edited:

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
I'm going to amend part of my suggestion above because I've now actually done some testing and I suspect that what I wrote above won't work as written.

It seems that the best way to run a different 'bin' file is to copy that bin file to this directory:
Code:
C:\Users\Public\General Motors\Tech2Win\pcmcia

Then copy the configuration file shown below to one with a new name (with a '.conf' file extension, of course). Whatever name you use for the new file will show up in the pushbutton in the "Tech2Win-Configurator" window, much like "North American" does now.
Code:
C:\Users\Public\General Motors\Tech2Win\config\North American.conf

Then edit that new '.conf' file that you just created and change this line:
Code:
-P0 %Tech2WinUserData%\General Motors\Tech2Win\pcmcia\North American Operations.bin

to this:
Code:
-P0 %Tech2WinUserData%\General Motors\Tech2Win\pcmcia\GM NAO   V30.004.bin

Note that there are 3 spaces in that extracted bin filename between "NAO" and "V30"!

If you do this, you should have a new pushbutton in the "Tech2Win-Configurator" window alongside the familiar "North American" one. The new pushbutton will load v30.004 (with some warnings) and it will run. The old pushbutton will continue to run v33.004.

Apologies for the misleading earlier info. You may have already worked all this out, but I want this information to be accurate for future readers.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

jaysands95

Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
Colorado
1. 1696895184947.png

2.1696895274091.png
3.1696895347236.png

Im not sure what to do after downloading this file, this is where I get lost..

i have watched a few videos but there are parts where they go from extracting files to another file and throws me off. If you can help me set this up I would greatly appreciate it!!

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
The zip file that you download is password-protected. When you go to extract the "GM NAO V30.004.bin" file from the zip file, you have to give the password (with a space in between the 2 words) that I showed in the 3rd paragraph of post #5 above.

jaysands95

Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
Colorado
Have you actually done this revision of the tech2Win? and if so is there a way you can remote into my computer and help set it up?

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
Have you actually done this revision of the tech2Win?
Yes. I basically followed my instructions in post #6, naming my copied configuration file 'NA v30-004.conf'. This is how it appeared:

added-conf-file-for-v30.004-pushbutton.png

See the new "NA v30-004" pushbutton? I clicked that and the v30.004 version ran. I clicked "Enter" on the opening screen and the main menu appeared. I didn't test any further than that, but the opening screen correctly showed "Software Version: 30.004".

Have you been able to extract the bin file from the zip file yet? Not much point in going further otherwise.

and if so is there a way you can remote into my computer and help set it up?
Sorry, I'm a Linux guy, not a Windows guy. But this really isn't that hard. Unzip/extract the bin file, follow my instructions in post #6, and if you run into trouble, let us know. Be as specific as you can, so that we can give better help.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I know you'll want to Take A Swing at My Chin for this suggestion ... @AmpOverload ...But... continuing on with your VXDIAG Screen Print Theme in Post #10...perhaps you can make similar ones of how the Directories - Sub-Directories and Individual Files of the extracted *.BIN File appear On Screen so the OP can get a better handle on "What Goes Where...and Why..." :>)

Last edited:

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
I know you'll want to Take A Swing at My Chin for this suggestion ... @AmpOverload
No swing at your chin forthcoming... :wink:

...But... continuing on with your VXDIAG Screen Print Theme in Post #10...perhaps you can make similar ones of how the Directories - Sub-Directories and Individual Files of the extracted *.BIN File appear On Screen so the OP can get a better handle on "What Goes Where...and Why..." :>)
It's a good suggestion, but:
  1. I use Linux, not Windows, to extract ZIP files, so I don't know what Windows folks use and cannot advise about (let alone demonstrate or show screenshots for) that part.
  2. The ZIP file contains only a single file, named (in a 'code'-formatted block below so as to correctly show weird aforementioned extra spaces in the name):
    Code:
    GM NAO   V30.004.bin
  3. I'd like to hear an answer from the OP to the (bolded) question in my last post before I spend any more time on this thread. OP needs to articulate just which step is the problem and then I will be happy to continue helping.

jaysands95

Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
Colorado
That is where i am having troubles "Extracting" "ZIP" to "BIN" how do I know if ZIP has been converted to BIN? I am stuck have not been able to complete #6

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
That is where i am having troubles "Extracting" "ZIP" to "BIN" how do I know if ZIP has been converted to BIN? I am stuck have not been able to complete #6
The zip file doesn't get converted to a bin file. The bin file is extracted from the zip file, leaving the original zip file intact alongside the new bin file.

Someone with Windows experience will have to assist you with further details about that part, however.

It would help them to tell us which version of Windows you're using.

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
I am running Windows 10
OK, good. That's helpful. I've never even seen Windows 10 running, though.

How 'bout it, all you Windows 10 users out there? Can't you just click on a ZIP file in whatever file manager Microsoft provides and have it extract the contents into that same folder???

jaysands95

Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
Colorado
I apologize in advance when it comes down to this i am not computer illiterate, but if the directions are straight forward I can follow, in this case I get lost!

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
I apologize in advance when it comes down to this i am not computer illiterate, but if the directions are straight forward I can follow, in this case I get lost!
No apology necessary. I understand the frustration and I do want to help you out. I just have no experience with modern Windows, having abandoned it over 20 years ago.

One thing that I just thought of, though. If Windows 10 is anything like older versions, it might be hiding the actual file extensions (i.e. the ".zip" and ".bin" and ".conf" part) from your view. If so, that could be causing unneeded confusion on your part. If that's the case, then somewhere there should be an option to disable "Hide extensions for known file types" (as it used to be called and may still be). If you can find that, consider de-selecting that option, to make Windows show you the real, full filenames, with extensions.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I'm in the same Boat when it comes to being a "Visual Learner"...so ... perhaps On Topic Videos can add to the discussion...even if this one involves an Earlier Version than Windows 10. As The Poet once said...

"'....'Neath The Skin... They Are ONE..."

Courtesy Post #31 in THIS Thread:

...and for @AmpOverload ... There is a Dedicated Linux Thread here at GMT Nation that he may want to participate in by adding any of his own Tips & Tricks and New Information:

Last edited:
Reactions: AmpOverload

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I once participated in a Beta test of commercial software. Before I reported an issue I made certain it was repeatable plus I offered a workaround. In one Beta test group meeting someone from the software company made the comment the I was "all about the workarounds".

So with that notion in mind .... just download this link where I have done the extraction already. This is the .bin file in a Google drive folder of mine.

jaysands95

Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
Colorado
ok, downloaded that file. Now, what do I do with it or what is the next step. I'm sure its been stated already but I think if I go step by step and get an understanding what i am doing it will go smoother for me

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You have probably already Viewed and Tried Out THIS Approach....But... Just In Case... Not as Yet:

The VOP (Video Original Poster) Linked the above Video to THIS one on How To Install a BIN File:

Download, Save and Play THIS Video at 1/2 Speed to be able to Stop and Screen Print the Steps in a Logical Order and then replicate what you see HERE to do the Retro *.BIN File Installation

Last edited:

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
First off, thanks to @TJBaker57 for his help!
ok, downloaded that file. Now, what do I do with it or what is the next step. I'm sure its been stated already but I think if I go step by step and get an understanding what i am doing it will go smoother for me
If you're a visual person, follow that 1st video from @mrrsm's earlier post. I watched it and it had very high applicability and usefulness in many places. If you're not visually oriented, go back to my post #6 and start there.

Personally, I generally dislike and don't watch videos (and have not viewed either of the last 2 posted EDIT: the new one in the last 2 that were posted, 1 of which was a duplicate of the 1st video, it seems). I like text-based instructions for a variety of reasons not worth mentioning here. Having said that, I'm grateful to @mrrsm (and I hope you are too) for posting those videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: tuhoe and mrrsm

jaysands95

Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
Colorado
I still have not been able to figure this "Rolling Back version" out if any windows users are out there and can help me do this I would greatly appreciate you!

tuhoe

Oct 24, 2023
USA
First off, thanks to @TJBaker57 for his help!

If you're a visual person, follow that 1st video from @mrrsm's earlier post. I watched it and it had very high applicability and usefulness in many places. If you're not visually oriented, go back to my post #6 and start there.

Personally, I generally dislike and don't watch videos (and have not viewed either of the last 2 posted EDIT: the new one in the last 2 that were posted, 1 of which was a duplicate of the 1st video, it seems). I like text-based instructions for a variety of reasons not worth mentioning here. Having said that, I'm grateful to @mrrsm (and I hope you are too) for posting those videos.
Thank you for posting this. I couldn't find anything virus free for Tech2win when I got the nano. I'm going to try this when I get home. The current version I have reset the module programming I did via TDS (With a knockoff MDI) to get the key learned and the theft locks worked out. Do you have any links for the most current Tech2win version?

tuhoe

Oct 24, 2023
USA
I still have not been able to figure this "Rolling Back version" out if any windows users are out there and can help me do this I would greatly appreciate you!
I'm going to mess with it this evening. I'm running the Nano on an XP OS. Knockoff MDI on Windows 10. If I get it to work I'll post my results. Do you have enough understanding of the Windows file structure to find the folders he's listing? I believe he stated he's using Linux so the location naming will likely be different. Program Files, or GM or some such thing. Even if you don't I think if I post the path you can copy and paste it into search and it will take you there.

Last edited:

jaysands95

Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
Colorado
i cant figure out where I need to move the 30.004 file. I guess I need to see exactly how this is done. I appreciate everyones input that hos posted!

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I just took a look at the video previously linked above which shows the roll back process. I could not get any sound to work so is this a silent video? If so I did not find it really useful except maybe to those who already are familiar with such things. I found another similar video with dialog that seems to be several magnitudes more useful, though it still seems to lack an explanation of how to efficiently navigate Windows File Explorer.

Reactions: mrrsm

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
Do you have any links for the most current Tech2win version?
Unfortunately, I don't have any links to Tech2Win (latest version or otherwise). I simply ran the version on the USB drive that came with my VXDIAG VCX Nano (USB version).

I'm going to mess with it this evening. I'm running the Nano on an XP OS. Knockoff MDI on Windows 10. If I get it to work I'll post my results. Do you have enough understanding of the Windows file structure to find the folders he's listing? I believe he stated he's using Linux so the location naming will likely be different. Program Files, or GM or some such thing. Even if you don't I think if I post the path you can copy and paste it into search and it will take you there.
Just to be clear, for Tech2Win, I'm running it on a laptop PC (64-bit CPU), natively (i.e. not in a Virtual Machine [VM]), under 32-bit Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1. This was after I could not get it to fully & properly install under 32-bit Windows XP, Service Pack 3 (natively) on the self-same laptop PC. At some point in the distant future, I'd like to try installing a Windows 7 Pro VM with a Linux base and then installing Tech2Win in that VM.

i cant figure out where I need to move the 30.004 file.
As for where the "bin" file should be (re-)located, see the 1st "Code:" block in my post #6 above. There should be a bunch of other files with a '.bin' extension in that directory already. If not, then your version of Tech2Win must be different than mine.

If you're unfamiliar with the technique(s) to move files in Windows, I'd strongly suggest that you do an Internet search for "how to move files in Windows 10" and master that skill first.

jaysands95

Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
Colorado
I have not been able to figure it out. I am returning my VCX NANO as all I bought it for was to replace the Navigation in my GMC. guess its back to square one!

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
Sorry to hear that. 😞

It's a shame you couldn't get it to work because the ability to run Tech2Win adds a lot of power to one's diagnostic abilities.

On the downside, I've heard that newer VCX Nano buyers are now required to perform some sort of re-licensing process every 60 or 90 days, so maybe you "dodged a bullet" by returning it.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you try next! Maybe @tuhoe had some success.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online