Bolt-On Light Bars or Cross-Bars for OEM Rack?

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Been thinking of making these if there's enough interest.

If you could buy a pre-made light bar at a reasonable cost that would attach to your factory roof rack like the OEM cross bars, would you be interested? What about steel cross-bars for rack mounting?

Would you rather purchase one that is pre-lighted, or buy your own lights?

I'm thinking aluminum cross bar with custom clamps.

Let me know. If I get enough interest, I would get going on it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Honestly....

If you want a light bar, building it is the simple part. Wiring it up and running the switch is the bitch of it. It takes a piece of 1 inch square alum tube, couple 3/8 bolts, washers, nuts and the bar is done. Drill a couple holes and the light mounts are complete. It truly is that simple. 15 mnutes to have the bar built and light up there.

I know that is not what you are wanting really. You want to sell something.

I would bet you would do best selling a pre-lit bar with option of two or 4 lights. Aluminum is the best choice for the bar....no rust, lightweight, strong. You would do well to have lights that have covers since some states require roof lights covered on-road. Also having a disconnect near bar so you could pul it off and leave wiring in case someone wanted it off for pulling in garage, safe keeping in winter or while on vacation, or just o change things up. If it does not have a plug it may never go back up. Offer it with cheap HF light or premium lights. Some may go cheaper and want to upgrade later. You can set itp up for difference number of lights, forward or rear or side facing.

Keep it simple. People are fairly lazy in general. Mounts that slide right in stock rails are easy as a washer for a 3/8 bolt. Makes it so they dont drill or modify anything. Ship it pre wired and pre built. With the length of the bar shipping wont be super cheap anyway.

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I hear ya man.

I've got some pretty good lighting contacts and plenty of tools/space and if I can be of service, I'd like to be. I'm not looking to get rich, just help out others and if I can make enough to cover a lift kit and some springs, I'd be tickled pink. There's plenty of guys who want to do this stuff that don't have the facilities or the know-how and if I can help, then that's enough for me.

I figured the wiring was going to be the bitch of it all. I'm considering buying up some cheap factory overhead consoles and trying a few different things with wiring and relays for power.

Thanks for all your advice lately man. Nice to hear honest opinions from educated guys with real experience.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
It's so cheap to do this on your own it'd have to be priced right. Over $250 and I think most folks will be to cheap to pass over it. Me personally, I wouldn't pay more than $150 to have what I already have done professionally. Past $200 and I'm just going to by-pass the regular lights and put the money towards the LEDs which is probably what we're going to outfit the truck with anyways.

Price point is a big deal. It's why almost all the guys are buying the cheap Chinese rock sliders. Not everyone has large sums of disposable income these days. Good luck though, there are dif some areas for money to be made. Especially if you can weld.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you get a good deal lights...I might need some. Thinking rear facing n rock...maybe small led camp light in rear bumper. Keep me in mind if find a connection.

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
If you get a good deal lights...I might need some. Thinking rear facing n rock...maybe small led camp light in rear bumper. Keep me in mind if find a connection.

Absolutely.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
I would def be interested in a cross bar with the harness installed on it but with just the light tabs so i can bolt on a set of which ever lights i can get here. In that configuration shipping wouldn't be too bad since it would just require a small box that is a bit longer and wider then the bar.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online