Blue devil oil Leak stop or not???

Double M

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Hi all just had a quick question looking for opinions, I have a 2003 gmc envoy and I've noticed I have a leak in the front diff. It leaves a quarter size drip almost on a daily basis. My question is should I use blue devil oil stop or is that a "no no"? I have read reviews and did some reasearch but wanted to throw it out there. Thank you in advance..

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
:iagree: Stop leak products are more trouble than they're worth.

Can you clean the diff and determine exactly where the leak is coming from? There are three primary culprits: the CV shaft output seal, the pinion input seal in the rear, or a leak between the two halves of the diff case. It should be easy to locate the source of a quarter size/day leak then we can offer some advice from there.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
One thing you may try that might work if the leak is from the case seal is drain the diff, clean the area that it is leaking from really well, then squeeze some black RTV into the seam there. Let it cure for 24 hours, then refill the diff. I did something similar to this for my PS pump reservoir and it worked. I used blue RTV as that's what I had on hand, and it looks funny, but whatever lol.

If it is leaking from a CV shaft connection (the most common leak source) then a new CV shaft seal is all you'd need. Pinion seal is a bit more involved and I've never dealt with one of those yet.

Reactions: AtlWrk and jpimp

Double M

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks for the input. I got my cans of degreaser and I'll be going in. Ill keep you informed.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I believe the cv seal is a dealer only item, but that may not be true anymore. Something to think about before tearing into anything.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Good reminder, yes it is primarily, though I think I found it on Amazon also via the GM part number.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yep. Pull the CV axle out, pull the seal, seat a new one, put the axle back in.

Well, a little more involved than that, but that's the general idea. I just wish I remembered what that part number was.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
If you dont feel like fixing it yourself cost is about 125-135 to get it repaired.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No problem

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online