Another End link question....

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
So here it goes....

I haven't replaced the end links just yet, I looked at the SMAXX and $400 for all 4 (on Ebay) just isn't going to happen since Christmas is right around the corner. With winter rearing it's ugly head(going to have our first snow Monday and Tuesday) I really want to make sure I have the extra stability. I have been looking at different end links, and just don't know what would be best. Moogs are pricey too, but not as much as SMAXX. There is also a brand at autozone for $16.99(for 2 rears) called Energy suspension...has anyone heard of these? Has anyone tried them? Can anyone offer any other decently priced brand that is available? I know I will probably be changing them in a years time due to the high failure rate, but right now I'm just needing a simple fix to get me through winter. So suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Voymom said:
So here it goes....

I haven't replaced the end links just yet, I looked at the SMAXX and $400 for all 4 (on Ebay) just isn't going to happen since Christmas is right around the corner. With winter rearing it's ugly head(going to have our first snow Monday and Tuesday) I really want to make sure I have the extra stability. I have been looking at different end links, and just don't know what would be best. Moogs are pricey too, but not as much as SMAXX. There is also a brand at autozone for $16.99(for 2 rears) called Energy suspension...has anyone heard of these? Has anyone tried them? Can anyone offer any other decently priced brand that is available? I know I will probably be changing them in a years time due to the high failure rate, but right now I'm just needing a simple fix to get me through winter. So suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Unless the end links are broken or disconnected, they will do the job. Noisy end links are annoying but working. :smile:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If you're the sort of owner who pays somebody else to change them, and that adds to the expense, then more expensive links can be justified. In your situation, lower cost ones wouldn't be a bad idea. Just not the CCC that cost under $10 each. Pay $20-30 each and get something greasable that might last two years. SMAXX are more of an offroad specialty item.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Energy makes some good parts, but not sure on end links for us. I would try em if I needed some.

But as stated...you will get no more stability unless you have one missing or broken. They get noisy but still function.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011

Matt

Dec 2, 2011

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Ive run the Energy ones on my 02 for a while and also whatever the O'Reilly's house brand is as well. They do the job just fine and are cheap.

I personally wouldnt use the Smaxx links, see a few catastrophic failures including one that sheared a control arm in half. Id just buy cheap links and change them every other year or so. I spent a lot more for Moog links a few years back, they only lasted ~25k even with greasings every 5k. Rather replace them at 15k and not have to do anything in between.

Side note: This site keeps cutting out on me, half the time I go to post it times out and I cant reconnect for an hour or 2.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks everyone! I think I will try the Energy brand, or even the house brand from O reilly's. They have lifetime warranties on them as well which will help. I do plan on doing the end links myself. I want to wait and get the SMAXX links for when I'm lifted, hopefully by the time the big meet pops around. :thumbsup:

Edit- 2 out of the 4 of my links have lost the seals, and there is NO rubber boot left in the center of them.

Jul 24, 2012
So, are y'all saying there's no, none, zip, zero, zilch performance difference (besides maybe noise) between new links and those with 194K? Or is that going a little far?

Will stabilizer bar bushings do anything for stability, or is that mostly a noise thing, too?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
6716 said:
So, are y'all saying there's no, none, zip, zero, zilch performance difference (besides maybe noise) between new links and those with 194K? Or is that going a little far?

Will stabilizer bar bushings do anything for stability, or is that mostly a noise thing, too?

Technically as long as the end links are still attached to the sway bar they are still working and serving their purpose. The stability doesn't change unless the end links break off/pop off which in turn would leave your sway bar dangling and basically worthless.

Mine are probably close to breaking off, I just can't imagine having them break off in an emergency maneuver while driving on snow and or ice...If I were to break traction with no end links and over correct the truck I would imagine I'd be in some deep doo doo which is why I'm so concerned with fixing mine. But then again...end links or not, if I over correct and lose control of my truck I would still be in deep shit. But I don't foresee that happening(Knock on wood).

As far as the bushings I have no clue, hopefully someone will chime in. I'm going to go with the cheaper but decent brand end links. We do our own work so I don't care if I have to replace them every year or two.

rayik

Nov 3, 2012
Changed the sway bar links on all four wheels two weekends ago.

The driver's rear was a real pain. The gas tank is in the way for getting off the top bolt. I read about some individuals who lower their gas tank. There is an easier way to get at it.

After playing with it for over an hour, I finally just cut off the top bolt. I'd suggest anyone else with a cutter, don't waste time and just cut if off. If your cutter is strong enough, just do it from the outside (and not the side near the gas tank). Just be careful of the rubber brake line which is close.

There is access for the rest of bolts in the four wheels. Using PB they come off easier.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Im actually having trouble with my rear smaxx links. I will be posting a thread on it later. I assume its operator error, but just to be safe hold off on them. Just an FYI.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
tblazerdude said:
Im actually having trouble with my rear smaxx links. I will be posting a thread on it later. I assume its operator error, but just to be safe hold off on them. Just an FYI.

Yeah I just went with the semi cheap ones. Havent had a chance to put them on though weather had been pretty crappy and Mats been working a lot. Hopefully we can give it a go this weekend.

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
i went with the moog one's .. when i lifted mine i was not sure about the smaxx ones.. nobody on here realy said anything good or bad about them.. wanted to wait and let someone else be the "TEST SUBJECT":raspberry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online