mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I saw this image over on THIS Thread...

MISSINGANGLOSAXON1.jpg

...and only Thomas @TJBaker57 knows the Real Answer, For Sure... :>)

• Haha
Reactions: northcreek

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All I see is 6.2k (with the 2 faded). Might be the resistance? I don't get it.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Funny that comes up today.

I was further cataloging the values today. I gathered a listing of passlock code vs the sensor return values and also collected the resistance applied across the signal wire and ground.

I have collected 4 passlock sensors from the scrapyards and I try to take pictures of the color spots painted on them. I have to think it is a code of sorts so they know what resistance value is inside the sensor.

IMG_20201008_185709.jpgIMG_20201008_185803.jpg

To be truly useful I would have to crack the code that is on the outside of the housing so as not to require this destruction to get to the sensor...

IMG_20201017_161952.jpgIMG_20201017_161622.jpg

Today I swapped a couple sensors on my benchtop setup of a PCM, BCM, ignition switch and cluster and sucessfully performed the 30 minute relearn for the BCM to accept the swapped in passlock sensor. Monitoring the serial data stream allowed to to identify a couple more PIDs as well, though I don't know which is which as they return the same value.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't get his "anglo-saxon expression" reference.

So, even if your switch is borked, you can still find the resistance by just reading it and then reproducing it with either a pot or regular resistor.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I didn't want to mention this over in @TJBaker57 's OP because like me, he is ALWAYS so very sincere about his Topics (and justifiably so...) and I did not want to bring up this impression there, lest it be Too Off Topic and cause Thomas to misinterpret my observations as being disrespectful. But honestly, when I saw this of portion of his image at first glance, it made me Laugh Out Loud.

But sometimes, having the verisimilitude of a "Classical Education" can be a curse.
My memory of this arcane, silly piece of sketchy information prompted a recognition of this 'Significant Symbology' so very out of place on Thomas' Auto Part. This is because it hearkens back to an Old English (Anglo-Saxon) Magistrate's Docket where the Bailiff would use a Particular Acronym, presently over-used and spoken too often everywhere you look in society.

But back then, it was just a brief Four Letter Description of a Common Morals Charge involving "Fornication ... Under Carnal Knowledge". Eventually, this expression would come to be used in different grammatical ways, depending upon the situations at hand. It only takes a little imagination to see and appreciate it if like mine, your head is filled with such nonsense.... :>)

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah, just had to zoom in a bit more to see that the 6 was not an F :biggrin:

Reactions: mrrsm

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
So, even if your switch is borked, you can still find the resistance by just reading it and then reproducing it with either a pot or regular resistor.
Actually, reading the resistance requires triggering the hall effect sensor/circuitry. Otherwise it is an open circuit. I had to connect 12 volt power to the Passlock sensor, then rotate the key to the start position and only then can you read out the resistance.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What I meant by "read" is to actually read the value written in crayon on the sensor :biggrin:

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah