4x4 rebuild

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
I bought a project Envoy I've been working with.
02 slt 4x4
After replacing tccm, selector switch, and cleaning encoder motor/disconnect actuator I got the the transfer case to lock in 4hi.
The front wheels didn't lock in so I pulled disconnect to find the guide pin broken. So I put it on the list. When I checked driver side halfaxel it had alot of play so I pulled off bottom cover and seen that it's leaking oil out
Of inner seal. My diagnosis is wore out bearings. So I bought the front differential and disconnect(used) and I'll be picking them up tomorrow. I read several different forums of differential replacement. And it says it's a real PIA.
Anyone with experience have any pointers on this process?
I'm gonna be doing this asap. Just want the first handers insight.

Also 4 low won't engage on transfer case.
???

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the TC not going to 4low, could be the encoder motor. Another member had a similar issue and after replacing the motor, fixed that issue.

For replacing the diff, apparently it is a difficult operation without taking the oil pan off. Did you have a look at our brother site offroadtb.com? I think there are a couple threads about this there. Another member here replaced the inner seal with the diff in the vehicle but if your bearings are worn, you could try to replace them.

I wanted to replace my diffs from 3.42 to 3.73 gears but when I saw how dificult it was to replace the front diff, I abandoned that idea.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I did the front diff from the bottom on a lift with steering rack removed and it sucked. Seems on ORTB they say the best is to bring it out through the top.

Reactions: Daniel417

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
Ya. I believe out through the top is how it's gonna go. I got the new differential and disconnect. Gonna try to get it done this weekend. I'll post pics of process.

Reactions: Mooseman

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
Pulled passenger hub apart.
Pulled disconnect and intermediate shaft.
Pulled driver hub. Unbolted differential.
Drained radiator. Pulled fan.
Pulled alternator. Idler pulley bracket.
Unbolted ac compressor. Pulled Front knock sensor.
Took off pcm. Pulled ac compressor up to where alternator was and pulled differential up through front of engine. Reassembled in reverse order.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
How long did it take you?

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
6 hours using hand tools. I'll be able to do it alot faster next time. The bottom right bolt on differential took the longest. Everything else was pretty simple. I didn't have to lift engine or even remove engine mounts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online