Yet another spare tire hoist thread...

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Haven't found this in any of the other 500 threads concerning these blasted things. I finally got mine loose today. Secondary latch is ridiculous. Had planned on flipping my spare valve side down. BUT. The cable doesn't appear to be going all the way down. How far should it go? Even with the wheel in the "proper" position it doesn't go to the ground. No way in heck to get the tire up there flipped over without jacking up it in there. I think my cable is not coming all the way down. Yes?/no? Anyone have a pic of the cable all the way down?

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Yeah I tried to get it further down with and without the tire on it. I figured it was bound up. Thought it should go down at least till the tire was on the ground. Guess I'll be replacing the hoist after all. Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Cable is long enough to extend even beyond ground height. I'm thinking yours got bound up inside and is messed up. Someone had taken one apart after that happened and it was just a spaghetti mess in there and the cable itself got damaged. You'll probably have to replace it. BTW, I do not recommend Dorman's. Look at my thread, posts #33 and 34.
http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/9454-dorman-now-has-spare-tire-hoists/

Reactions: kickass audio

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
It does sound like your cable is bound up. You didn't by chance try to keep winding the cable down until it stopped even if the cable wouldn't drop any further? If you did that, you probably bound up the wire where it spools up inside. If you have the tire up all the way, try to take the tire down but see if the secondary latch engages. If it does, get some jack stands and support the spare tire on on each side of it. Then if you notice where the spare tire is held up, there is a little nub about 1 inch long that sticks out from the under side, it is about the size of your pointer finger for width and maybe 1-1.5 inches long. That probably is rusted to the actual ledge that holds the tire up but get a pair of pliers and grab it and try to bend it back and forth until it breaks free. Then you will see that the little nub is broken free and if you keep unwinding the lift, you can pull on that nub and get the cable to go down further. I did this on my own by going under the tire *be safe, don't risk having it fall down and hurt you* and kicking the tire iron around where it goes into the carrier and lowering it down all the way. The cable should go out maybe a foot from your bumper if you are at the stock height. It is pretty long. If you succeed in getting the cable out that far, wind it up slowly and then when it is supporting the weight of the tire, take the jackstands out and unlock the secondary latch and get your tire out.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Yeah I saw that the Dorman one is garbage. This is the first time I've tried to take it off. Didn't know about the secondary latch till I read it on here. Someone before me must've got it boggled up. Spare looks like it's never been used tho. Maybe once a long time ago. I think the rainier came factory with michelins. Idk. I'll get an oem hangar and hack off the latch and be done with it. Or flip the tire

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online