XUV roof help.

rpwarehime

Original poster
Sep 2, 2021
DENVER COLORADO USA
Having data communication issues, all other modules function great, but having issues with my roof and tailgate not talking, dash doesnt show the "manual tail gate prompt or even seem to know when the tail gate is open or closed.
i can roll down the rear glass from the headliner swith and it can be rolled up and down from tech 2 and relearn seems to be working, but after relearn it doesnt allow me to roll it up with window switch, or open the tail gate.
when i try to do relearn roof position in tech2, it gives me a rear window fault.
i have scoped my network on the verus 10 and there are notdirect faults, when all channels connect, data stream looks great. tech 2 class 2 net work monitor shows tdc in most of the modules. though everything works but the roof and tailgate, i did do and upgrade from the bose 6 changer to thebose nav unit. and also had to do a swap of the instrument cluster from a lwb tb with message center... what am i missing here ? i have had issues with the roof and tail gate even befor the up dates, but could changing out the dash have caused me to loos the ability to know what the gate is doing? Help please. ps i have swapped out tailgate and roof modules. did not fix the issue.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
On the Class 2 Network Topology... ANY errant Module can have a deliterious effect upon the others. Try using the "Ping All Modules" Feature on the Tech 2 and then look down the right column of the whole panoply of other Modules for any that display being in an *In-Active* state that should otherwise be *Active*. The actual Culprit may reveal itself in this way.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@TollKeeper should be dropping in soon as he is our resident SME on the XUV.

What I can think of is to check the status of all the latches. If one is showing as unlatched, it screws up the whole works. And pinging all the modules, as @MRRSM said, would also be a good start. Also checking for error codes on all modules might also point to a fault.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

One other advantage of having the Tech 2 Class 2 Network Message Monitor up and running is that IF you *jiggle* any Wire Bundles or Module Connectors and an electrical path gets re-established... the In-Active to Active change of state will show right there on the Screen(s). Don't forget... While you are using the "Ping All Modules" Feature, use the Up & Down Arrows to view ALL of the Modules while investigating this aspect of the Tech 2 on Multiple Pages.

One other thing...

Since you have also added in or modified some of your XUV Modules presenting with the possibility of having multiple independent problems, while you are at it, consider taking full advantage of having your own Tech 2 Scan Tool by "Topping Off" your PCM with an Updated Calibration.

PS...

You can greatly improve your Skill Set with using your Tech 2 via this TECH2PATHS.pdf if you Download, Save and Refer to it for all of the Tech 2 Diagnostic Strategies--> Key Pad Inputs in this A-Z Document:

"Good Science Means...Only Change One Variable at a Time..."

Attachments

• TECH2 Paths.pdf
    490.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman - I think this is the guy I referred here from the XUV Facebook page, and specifically mentioned @Mooseman and @MRRSM as the Class2/CANBUS SME's... I can help him on the XUV stuff, I just dont know crud about Class2/CANBUS..

One thing I would like him to try, which means using his Tech2 to manually close the window, with the end gate open. Take off the inside cover, and go in and unplug the electrical connection at the key switch. If you cant open the end gate, you can always crawl thru the mid gate.

These have been known to get jammed into a electrical connection, and create havoc across the XUV specific modules. Disconnecting it will verify that.

I thought I remember him saying on the facebook page that the PDM or DDM was also giving errors.

From memory, READ -I could be wrong-, but the cluster is specific to the XUV. I cant find my XUV parts list ATM to verify.

The only time a radio upgrade creates issues is when a aftermarket radio is used. If its OEM, no issues there at all. I also upgraded to a 2 disc nav unit in my XUV, from a 6 disc.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
mentioned @Mooseman and @MRRSM as the Class2/CANBUS SME's... I can help him on the XUV stuff, I just dont know crud about Class2/CANBUS..
I know just enough to make me dangerous. All I know is stuff talk to each other and if something on that network goes bad, it can garble that talk. It could be the case here.

From memory, READ -I could be wrong-, but the cluster is specific to the XUV. I cant find my XUV parts list ATM to verify.
Is there a light in the cluster for the XUV specific stuff like the tailgate or midgate? If it's just messages in the DIC, maybe it just needs a reflash for those specific messages. The cluster is basically just a readout. It shouldn't prevent stuff from working unless it's defective. If it can't understand a message from the network to post a message about the midgate, it won't do anything and ignore it. The sending module doesn't know anything as there is no acknowledgement at the receiving end.

One thing I would like him to try, which means using his Tech2 to manually close the window, with the end gate open. Take off the inside cover, and go in and unplug the electrical connection at the key switch. If you cant open the end gate, you can always crawl thru the mid gate.
Yes, that would be another way to know if the modules are working. I'm also thinking if it has a dead motor, maybe there's no way for the module to know and doesn't send a message.

I thought I remember him saying on the facebook page that the PDM or DDM was also giving errors.
If both are throwing errors, they could be victims from gibberish on the network. That usually happens when the network goes down and the BCM just throws communication errors about most of the modules.

Maybe one way to diagnose this would be to pull the comb and only connect one module at a time or just those for the gates.

@TJBaker57 is our SME on the CANBUS stuff however he doesn't have any info regarding XUV specific stuff.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That's actually the phrase I told him about, pulling the comb, and doing directed diagnostics on the modules. But to come here to get the info about it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@rpwarehime... The leads and suggestions mentioned above can be seen 'live' by following Will Robinson's thoughtful explanations, demonstrations and Repair Actions in THIS Cool Video. You'll get to see the use of the Tech 2 "Class 2 Message Monitor", "Pulling The J-XXX Comb" and then stepping through each of the Module Diagnostics ...all being addressed at the same time:

Last edited:
Reactions: LovingmyXUV

LovingmyXUV

May 1, 2021
Greenville, NC
Having data communication issues, all other modules function great, but having issues with my roof and tailgate not talking, dash doesnt show the "manual tail gate prompt or even seem to know when the tail gate is open or closed.
i can roll down the rear glass from the headliner swith and it can be rolled up and down from tech 2 and relearn seems to be working, but after relearn it doesnt allow me to roll it up with window switch, or open the tail gate.
when i try to do relearn roof position in tech2, it gives me a rear window fault.
i have scoped my network on the verus 10 and there are notdirect faults, when all channels connect, data stream looks great. tech 2 class 2 net work monitor shows tdc in most of the modules. though everything works but the roof and tailgate, i did do and upgrade from the bose 6 changer to thebose nav unit. and also had to do a swap of the instrument cluster from a lwb tb with message center... what am i missing here ? i have had issues with the roof and tail gate even befor the up dates, but could changing out the dash have caused me to loos the ability to know what the gate is doing? Help please. ps i have swapped out tailgate and roof modules. did not fix the issue.
My rear glass work great with switch inside and with key on rear door/tailgate. However just like yours (I think) my roof works with key in tail gate and no fault codes or anything found with scanner. My console switch for Power roof doesn't work. I took it to GMC here in NC and they say it's the ECM failing on that switch link. We all know these ECM fail constantly so could be the same issue. Just a thought to help.

LovingmyXUV

May 1, 2021
Greenville, NC
@rpwarehime... The leads and suggestions mentioned above can be seen 'live' by following Will Robinson's thoughtful explanations, demonstrations and Repair Actions in THIS Cool Video. You'll get to see the use of the Tech 2 "Class 2 Message Monitor", "Pulling The J-XXX Comb" and then stepping through each of the Module Diagnostics ...all being addressed at the same time:

This is an amazing share. I realized I know so little and this was awesome to watch and learn....

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
One of the members I helped before, I think had the same issues as you. The key actions worked in the rear of the truck, but nothing in the interior did. It ended up being the electronic switch that I mentioned above in the tailgate.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online