XUV air supension question

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Have you driven an XUV with coil springs to compare the ride? Just because you like the air ride, doesn't mean it's fundamentally better than coils. Shocks make a much larger difference in "ride" (whatever that means) than the spring rate being slightly more progressive in the air bags.

My coils with Airlift1000 bags inside probably have the same progressiveness as the OEM air bags.

Just trying to save you money. Many of us offroaders got new Tahoe/Avalanche Z71 takeoff coils (progressive) for under $100 /pair.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
darsch said:
It's never given me a code there, only when it overheats from trying to fill a tire will it flash, turn off and then resume once it cools.
I called a mechanic and he says that if it senses an air leak in the system, the pump will not turn back on to save from wearing out. So the problem shouldn't be the ride height sensor.
I can get the Moog springs and insulators for about $140 + tax and do what emedlin did. Are new shocks really needed? If I didn't like the air ride so much it would be an easy decision to switch over to coils so I need to explore all options first. Anyone else happy or unhappy with the Moog springs?

From what you have said, you might get lucky and just need new bags. Like you, I also love the air ride, most of the high end vehicles use them. If I were a serious off roader I might feel differently. I have a spare set of OEM bags, mint with 55K on them, I really wanted to hang on to them but, you seem to be in a bind. If you are interested send me a PM and we can talk. BTW there are people who have used an aftermarket compressor with great success so it is an option...Mike.

darsch

Mar 28, 2014
Roadie:
No I haven't ridden in one with coil springs. I should have included that I like the versatility of adjusting my ride height when loaded or when pulling a trailer as well as the ride quality.

northcreek:
I will PM you.
I read from other forums of guys bypassing the onboard compressor which is where I got the simple idea from.
It would be nice to just need bags but shouldn't I be able to fill up a tire with air using the inflation station as it is right now? The compressor is way noisier than it used to be too. Sounds like it's vibrating against a thin piece of sheet metal. Never had a chance to look at it today due to rain.

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
darsch said:
I called a mechanic and he says that if it senses an air leak in the system, the pump will not turn back on to save from wearing out. Anyone else happy or unhappy with the Moog springs?

My shocks were already pretty new, so I didn't get new shocks. I cannot really tell a difference in the ride between the air bags and springs. First time I missed them was recently though. I loaded the back with 20 bags of mulch. That lowered the rear a good bit, but I only needed to drive across the street so it didn't really matter. So, for every day stuff like hauling kids and groceries the springs I got are fine and ride good.

Interesting about the pump not turning on if it senses a leak. I tied the senors in place, so the pump won't run not stop, but I could still use it when I wanted to pump up a tire or something. I tested it that day and it worked fine. But, a month later when I needed it, it didn't turn on. No flashing light or anything. Does the pump really sense that there is no pressure in the lines and refuse to turn on? That is the first I have heard of that. But, it would explain why it ran once and never again. I guess I could join the left and right lines, so they would hold pressure. Anyone done that before? I just assume the the pump died on me.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
darsch said:
Roadie:
No I haven't ridden in one with coil springs. I should have included that I like the versatility of adjusting my ride height when loaded or when pulling a trailer as well as the ride quality.

northcreek:
I will PM you.
I read from other forums of guys bypassing the onboard compressor which is where I got the simple idea from.
It would be nice to just need bags but shouldn't I be able to fill up a tire with air using the inflation station as it is right now? The compressor is way noisier than it used to be too. Sounds like it's vibrating against a thin piece of sheet metal. Never had a chance to look at it today due to rain.

Well it is mounted on a 10 ga. plate so it might sound that way if it's trashed . You don't mention year, miles or location so it's hard for us to tell if you are in "predictable failure period" or not. For instance my 07 has 78K miles and I am in a cool northern climate and still on original compressor...Mike.

darsch

Mar 28, 2014
northcreek:
The plate mounted to the frame seems solid but very rusty. I grabbed it and yanked but no flexing. I think there is another plate or something the compressor is also connected to on top of that but I'll see once I have it removed. Everything is full of rust so who knows what I'll discover. It's a 2002 and I had it shipped to the western prairies from Nova Scotia so it's seen extra salt but at the time it was about $9k cheaper than what was selling for locally. I think it's only got about 245000 kms. :eek:

emedlin:
Thanks for the update. That's what I was worried about, how it would be when adding some serious weight to it. As for your pump not turning on now at all, I don't know because mine still works at the rear interior switch but with low pressure. Have you checked your fuse and then connect the air lines and see what happens or maybe play with the ride sensors too and see if you can trigger it to switch on.

Since you guys have played with your air lines, does anyone know what the OD of the lines are and if the ends are metric thread? What I might do is go buy a T fitting, connect it up and see if I can get things pumped back up manually while I wait for the air springs when I decide where I'll buy them from. I don't want to buy every size T fitting hoping that one of them will be the right one. I'm guessing 5/16 OD but no idea on the thread.

darsch

Mar 28, 2014
I guess I could just use a barbed T fitting too but then I'd need to know what the ID of the air lines are.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
darsch said:
I guess I could just use a barbed T fitting too but then I'd need to know what the ID of the air lines are.

The lines are 1/8 inch, used on most non commercial air shocks/bags. Not sure of the fittings but, you could put whatever thread you want on there. The bags are just a push fitting, you might be able to get a compressor with the same. A good compressor to use is from a Pontiac Bonneville, I once used one from a 95 for my motorhome, the Pontiac had front air shocks, not sure of all the years but, maybe 92-96...Mike.

darsch

Mar 28, 2014
So I went the cheap route today and put in used coil springs. I figured I could always add the Firestone air spring kit afterwards if I didn't like how the truck sits when towing or hauling stuff. Went quite well except when trying to get the air lines unhooked from the air bags. They made the air lines so short that I could only get one hand in there to cut the line off instead of unclipping it. There was no way, at least on my truck, a person could have installed new air springs without running new lines. They obviously fed the air lines from the springs already attached over to the compressor while assembling the truck or they had easy access when the body wasn't attached.
The truck drives nice, the ass end hasn't sat that high in I don't know how long and I hooked up to my cargo trailer with some weight already in it and it seems to sit quite nicely, height wise.
I removed the compressor and have started taking it completely apart. Found some interesting surprises in there. Everyone will be very interested to know why their compressors don't work anymore and/or have gotten noisy. I will make a new post with a description and pictures once I get my new camera, hopefully this week.
So I'm very happy so far that I decided to go with coil springs. Now I have two parts on my truck that aren't rusty.

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I cut my lines as close the bags as possible. Didn't figure I would ever use them again anyway. Glad you like the ride. I will have to remember to check back to check out your pics of the compressor. If you don't mind can you reply to this thread when you post them. That way I will get an email telling me to come check them out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online