Worth picking up an extra engine?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Love my 2002 Envoy. I plan on keeping it for many more years. Since the platform was discontinued I foresee a day when they become scarce in the Salvage yards. Would it be worth picking up an extra engine? Do a general rebuild on it. Rings, Valve Job, new timing chain, tensioners, oil pump, o-rings, etc? Or just find a low mileage one and take a chance on it?

My engine has 197K miles. Runs great. Uses a little oil. One quart every 2000 miles. Mild piston slap the improves when warmed up. Tiny lifter noise from one lifter.

So....find one in a yard? What would one expect to pay for one? There's an online engine company that has one with 97K miles. It's about $1000 shipped.

Reactions: KWG2005

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Since you're looking beyond the actual market value of the truck, it could be worth it however, between now and the time you may need that engine, a lot of things can happen. I don't think that engines will become so scarce that you won't be able to find one. You can fit one from 02 to 07. I see a fair number still on the road even here in rust land. Some small parts are OK for spares (I have a new water pump on standby) however an engine is expensive and takes a lot of room.

Reactions: xavierny25

Realism

Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
Love my 2002 Envoy. I plan on keeping it for many more years. Since the platform was discontinued I foresee a day when they become scarce in the Salvage yards. Would it be worth picking up an extra engine? Do a general rebuild on it. Rings, Valve Job, new timing chain, tensioners, oil pump, o-rings, etc? Or just find a low mileage one and take a chance on it?

My engine has 197K miles. Runs great. Uses a little oil. One quart every 2000 miles. Mild piston slap the improves when warmed up. Tiny lifter noise from one lifter.

So....find one in a yard? What would one expect to pay for one? There's an online engine company that has one with 97K miles. It's about $1000 shipped.
If you can get one, then do it. This platform is widely considered to have the best Engine Gm has every built. Especially if it happens to be the 4.2 I6. I know there are many of us here who are topping 250k+ and havent had a single problem, or any oil burn. I know the early models had some engines where the cast was pourous and oil would leach out, just be mindful about those, get as late an engine as you can for your model.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Love my 2002 Envoy. I plan on keeping it for many more years.
You don't mention where you live, is rust an issue? if so the Tin Worm might get you before the Gremlins... :twocents:

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online