Wiring problem at shift lever

Chetter62

Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
Anyone else have a problem with the wire harness that connects to the shift lever on an automatic? I had some wires break at the connector that caused the key switch to not turn all the way to release it. I found the problem after $380 at the transmission shop that could not find a problem. I added a short pieces of flexable wire and lots of heat shrink to prevent it from flexing. Fixed the problem. It is sad to see such a poor design that could be so easily prevented.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Strange, someone just posted about the same problem the other day. Couple of wires in the harness broke on them too. :mad:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Is this where the.wiring harness that allows you to put truck into gear broke? Happened to me in my 05 TB had to climb under truck for a few days to put into gear until I could get to shop.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Chetter62 said:
Anyone else have a problem with the wire harness that connects to the shift lever on an automatic? I had some wires break at the connector that caused the key switch to not turn all the way to release it. I found the problem after $380 at the transmission shop that could not find a problem. I added a short pieces of flexable wire and lots of heat shrink to prevent it from flexing. Fixed the problem. It is sad to see such a poor design that could be so easily prevented.

Yes, I had that happen too. Fortunately I read quite a few posts to get a lead on where the problem might be, and yes, its seems like quite a few people with these models have had the same problem. In my case, I had two wires break, so not only would the key not come out, but it also would no longer shift out of park. That is why forums like these are so valuable.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher