Wipers with a mind of their own.

DevilishT2003

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
My wipers seem to have a mind of their own now. The delay setting is not working right. Either there is no delay and they jsut keep going or they delay but then swipe once twice oe even three times back to back between delays. Is there a relay to swap out or is it more difficult fix?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Just a thought, and relevant info to add here.

The contact wheel inside the gearbox is covered with grease, and caused intermittent contact, which causes the stutter. I cleaned mine after reading about this here 3 years ago, and its been fine ever since.

Remove wiper motor assembly, and take cover off of gear housing. You will see a wheel that is covered in grease- wipe the surface clean and reassemble. Pretty easy free fix. You might spend some time putzing to make sure wiper linkage is aligned if you don't mark it before you start.

Remove these screws using a T20 torx bit.

P1020156r.jpg

Pry the cover off. It will sound like stuff is cracking and breaking but it is only the adhesive that holds the case together.

P1020148r.jpg

Wipe contacts and contact surface clean and reassemble.

P1020154r.jpg

P1020153r.jpg

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Did you put a little dielectric grease on it? Or just leave it wiped clean?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I just wiped it clean when I did mine.

Roggie

Dec 5, 2011
Awesome. I'm having this same issue with mine. I've had the problem since i bought the thing in 06. Going to try it, now that it's freezing cold out... Thanks for the info!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I cleaned mine about 2 weeks ago because of a stutter...saved $160 on a replacement and they work like new.

I have the rain-sense wipers and the issue was in the intermittent setting. Cleaning them resolved the problem.

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
You un-regular wiper rhythm could be explained by something else.

You could have rain-sense wipers like me. Look behind your rear-view mirror to the right, and you might see a flat round sensor stuck to the glass with a single wire going up into the roof. If that is the case then you just are experiencing the rain-sense wipers normal operation. I had the same problem as you and nothing fixed it. The system tends to act flaky in general or you could have a bad sensor. What you can do to have normal wipers is simply go into the rear fuse box, and pull out the fuse for the rain-sense wipers. That causes the wipers to then act like normal ones.

Hope this helps
-Wahugg

mika

Dec 6, 2011
:iagree:
a good cleaning dose the trick

Roggie

Dec 5, 2011
I cleaned my wiper motor as well, saved me 160 bucks, took about 1/2 hour. Thanks for the info!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online