Wipers don't turn on - regularly

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Please post potential feedback on these comments from my wife. She's driving the 02 Envoy SLT with rain sense. There doesn't seem to much on this topic after searching, and I didn't finding anything as she described. See below:
"My wiper switch seems to work intermittently. Sometimes it works just fine. Other times it won't turn on in any position. Back, forward, fast... If I turn ignition off then on it works fine. If I'm driving it may work after 2 or 5 or 10 minutes."
Thanks in advance everyone!
Jay

Attachments

• 2002%20GMC%20Envoy.jpg
    2002%20GMC%20Envoy.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 76

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Try pulling fuse #29 (Rainsense Wipers). See if that fixes the problem.
There is also a known problem with the contacts in the wiper box, IIRC.

I read that the connector in the middle of the windshield may have come loose. Looking at some of the responses on the OS you can pull the thin cable to the rain sensor in the middle of the windshield and it should bypass it. This would narrow down the issue to the wiper stalk or wiper motor contacts as Wooluf1952 said.

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
CaptainXL said:
I read that the connector in the middle of the windshield may have come loose. Looking at some of the responses on the OS you can pull the thin cable to the rain sensor in the middle of the windshield and it should bypass it. This would narrow down the issue to the wiper stalk or wiper motor contacts as Wooluf1952 said.

Ahh so like pulling the fuse if when unplugged they function as they would (turn off and on and intermittent) then its likely the motor/module, right?
That's easy enough to to try. So if this is the case is there a write up to remove it and clean as others have done? I've read a lot of successes from cleaning it out but haven't seen a how to.
Thanks!

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Check the link in post #2

Thanks. I had already found that link before I posted my question. I guess I was looking for some direction as to how to get to the actual motor and module before cleaning it out.
Is it really super simple then?:thumbsup:

Okay I googled it and found this...
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=650185&postcount=12

[EDITED to remove copyrighted content.]

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
So we don't get in trouble with the copyright police, I edited your post. We are SUPER EAGER to have our own How-To Article on this process so if you took pictures and wrote it up as you do the job, GMTN would be really pleased. Consider it.

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Oops, sorry.
Thought since there was no links except to the pics that it would be okay. I'm learning:yes:

MOJoe2002

Dec 8, 2013
While Low and High speeds worked fine I had erratic operation on any of the intermittent settings on the wipers in our 02 Bravada.

Using the info and links posted in this thread made for an easy, quick and free fix...thanks to all that contributed.

:thumbsup:

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
MOJoe2002 said:
While Low and High speeds worked fine I had erratic operation on any of the intermittent settings on the wipers in our 02 Bravada.

Using the info and links posted in this thread made for an easy, quick and free fix...thanks to all that contributed.

:thumbsup:

What did you do exactly? I ask because ours is doing the same thing again. May have to buy new...

MOJoe2002

Dec 8, 2013
Jayman said:
What did you do exactly? I ask because ours is doing the same thing again. May have to buy new...

Just cleaned the grease off the contacts and contact area, mainly followed the pics from the link in your post (#6 in this thread).

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
MOJoe2002 said:
Just cleaned the grease off the contacts and contact area, mainly followed the pics from the link in your post (#6 in this thread).

Sweet! Glad it worked:thumbsup:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
MOJoe2002 said:

I've had to do this twice with mine...works like a charm.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Oh I have always seen this with GM vehicles up here in the north.

The motor contacts points are wearing out or the solder points at connection on the PCB break.

The best thing to do is just get a new or remanned wiper motor/regulator assembly and be done with it. Its just a common wear item. If your handy with resoldering and its the connector loose you might attempt a repair. Otherwise its the rotating wiper disk. At this point its garbage unless you can get a rebuild kit for it.

Every GM truck my dad and I have had over the years had this problem eventually. The stalk wears out too. Either the cruise or wiper one. Usually after about 10 years. Depends on use.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.