Window channel SQUEAKS!

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ever since I got my Trailblazer the rear passenger window channel would squeak when the window was down. I just lived with it for a while, and sometimes just bumping the window up a tad would make it stop.

Well, now it sometimes squeaks even with the window UP and it is starting to really drive me nuts. Plus my rear driver side window started to squeak a little bit too :mad:

I think I have figured out what is squeaking - if I pull rubber surround back a bit on the inside of the door, near the top rear corner of the window, I can see a metal clip thing back there. When I push on the rubber surround, the clip moves a bit, and when it moves, it squeaks! OK, so I found the source, but how do I fix it? :confused:

Has anyone else ran into this before, and if so, how did you fix yours?

I can get pics of what I'm talking about later. It is a little dark out right now.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Pics would help. Preliminary guess, if you can, get a dab of silicone in there on that piece of metal that moves. Maybe that will be enough to prevent the squeaking?

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Got off work and it was dark again - these long days can be a little bit of a drag sometimes. Anyway, I'll try to get a pic soon.

I thought about the silicone, but I don't know if it would last - the metal may just saw through the silicone. I still may give it a shot.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
I need to get around to doing my front drivers door it squeaks too :hissyfit:. I may look at it friday and will let you know what I find and what I did yo fix it.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
If you can get some white grease or WD40 on the metal tab, maybe it will quiet it down?

Vicompc

Dec 5, 2011
I had the same problem, it turned out to be the seal around the door frame. I used Dielectric Grease on all the seals in the truck this stopped the problem. I try to recoat them every month and so far the squeak has not returned.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I don't think it is the door frame seal because if I drop the window and wiggle the window channel, it makes the same squeak/creak noise, and I can see the clip move a bit when it does.

I got off work late yet again, so I used the flash on my cell phone. It is funny how bright green my paint looks with the cell phone flash. You can see the metal clip where I pulled the rubber back. This one is on the driver side rear, but the passenger rear is the one making the racket most of the time. In the center of the little hole is a tab on the clip that sticks through from the other side to lock it in place. It seems that it creaky squeaks when that tab is up against the edge of the hole. If I push the clip upward a bit so the tab doesn't make contact with the hole, it stops making the noise. But of course it pulls back to the edge of the hole and creak squeaks again after a bit.

Hmm, file uploader isn't working for some reason. Used photobucket.

channelclip.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'd still go with the silicone route. If you can get that clip out, put some silicone in the channel of the clip and pop it back in, that would keep it in place. :twocents:

Vicompc

Dec 5, 2011
I agree :thumbsup:the silicone will work I used it on my lower door seals that kept coming off.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Alright I'll give it a go. Normal silicone, or maybe some of the RTV stuff I have sitting here? Might be more durable :undecided:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I don't think that clip is moving very far, or with very much force, so I'd say whatever you've got at hand should be good enough.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online