Will this drain my battery?

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I am pretty bad with electricity. I just hooked up my new dual headrest dvd players and tapped into the cigarette wires in the back. There is a dim red light on each dvd monitor when the car is off. Is that gonna kill my battery? I am just asking because my last dvd player had the adapter that plugged in to the back cigarette outlet with a little green light and it was fine. Someone told me to run it to the fuse instead. It was just hard to hide and get to.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
dvdman said:
I am pretty bad with electricity. I just hooked up my new dual headrest dvd players and tapped into the cigarette wires in the back. There is a dim red light on each dvd monitor when the car is off. Is that gonna kill my battery? I am just asking because my last dvd player had the adapter that plugged in to the back cigarette outlet with a little green light and it was fine. Someone told me to run it to the fuse instead. It was just hard to hide and get to.

I don't know....I know that I have a radar detector plugged in and it stays on until it turns itself off, and my battery is perfectly fine. However it is just a small radar detector compared to 2 dvd's

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Sounds like a couple of LEDs indicating they're in standby by mode. You'll be fine.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
It is possible. When I did my install I wired into same area. We went to a hotel overnight and when the valet went to get my car they came back and said it wont start. SO after a jump I disconnected the power wire for the rest of the trip with no issues. Put it back on when I got home and about 8 hours later same issue. Battery was under a year old. Since then I used a fuse that has a pigtail on it for wiring (cannot remember what it is called). I used I want to say the rain sensor socket and have had no issues in over 3 years. Just a suggestion.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Putting an inline fuse isn't going to stop a battery drain from a device, unless something is faulty and shorting out. A fuse will not limit how much current something draws, only snap (open circuit) if it draws more than the fuse is rated for. The better solution would be to find a switched 12 volt source to wire into. So when the ignition is off the power to the unit will be turned off. Again, depending on what the unit is doing while in stand by mode it shouldn't be a big deal for a daily driver. If you park the truck for a week or two while your on vacation that could be a different story.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
NewfieEnvoy said:
Putting an inline fuse isn't going to stop a battery drain from a device, unless something is faulty and shorting out. A fuse will not limit how much current something draws, only snap (open circuit) if it draws more than the fuse is rated for. The better solution would be to find a switched 12 volt source to wire into. So when the ignition is off the power to the unit will be turned off. Again, depending on what the unit is doing while in stand by mode it shouldn't be a big deal for a daily driver. If you park the truck for a week or two while your on vacation that could be a different story.

I agree with a switched source. It probably doesn't do much while on standby but if they are powered all the time there is a risk of one/both of the units being left on and that may kill the battery.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
NewfieEnvoy said:

Read my comment again and re evaluate your response. Fuse with pigtail (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=071-580&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term={keyword}). Use socket in fuse block that will most likely be switched. Like I said I think I know I was hooked up to the rain sensor one but I would have to check. The battery drained after 8 hours, not a week. I think the issues is even in standby mode the inverters still draw power, and more than say a standby LED of a HU, radar detector, or alarm system.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online