Will this buff out??? Or am I looking at a whole new paint job?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
As the title says, I'm wondering if these will buff out. Also I noticed a few more spots of the clear coat coming off...am I doomed or can I buff it out? I also have what appears to be white over-spray from a paint job on something else not related to the truck, it's on the drivers side front bumper(pics below) and was wondering how to get that off? And, I can't get the damned area where the molding was to come off, so any advice?

Here is what looks to me as clear coat or oxidation...Thoughts?
IMG_20120323_190411.jpg

Another view of chipped clear coat or oxidation
IMG_20120323_190359.jpg

The white over-spray??
IMG_20120323_190351.jpg

Scuffs from taking molding off
IMG_20120323_190250.jpg

Thoughts, advice and opinions appreciated as always!

Thanks!!!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Get your self a clay bar, that should take care of the over spray. As for the paint, buffing might work.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Acetone or paint thinner on a terrycloth rag with some light rubbing then a good wash and wax over any spots that have over spray on them should do the trick.

IF your clear coat IS failing, I strongly suggest against buffing. You'll make the already weak clear fail completely. Seek a bodyshop's help - failing clear can only be fixed by applying a new layer of clear.

I'm not sure what to suggest for the spots where your molding was... I'd try some acetone or paint thinner to see if it gets rid of the dirt. Wash & wax afterwards. If it's just surface scratching, then buffing may do the trick. If the moldings have seriously damaged your paint in any fashion, buffing will just end up peeling the paint, please be careful.

:twocents:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks Harmless! I guess I will be asking around for prices on a new layer of clear coat :crazy: Will a detailing shop be able to tell me what's going on? I plan on spending a bit of cash to get the oxidation dealt with, and thought maybe they could either fix me up or tell me what should be done?

Edit- Can I clear coat it myself? If so what would I use lol

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Acetone or mineral spirits, and then clay bar...that will take care of the bumper and doors. Then a medium cut, polish, and sealer will restore that paint finish. Any detailer worth using can do that. As for the clear coat....you should be able to get just the panel resprayed. It will have to be wetsanded down to the color coat anywhere near the defect and simply wetsanded to ensure an even finish anywhere else. I would recommend paying for a pro job as opposed to doing anything yourself. That will ensure only having to do it once.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Voymom said:
Thanks Harmless! I guess I will be asking around for prices on a new layer of clear coat :crazy: Will a detailing shop be able to tell me what's going on? I plan on spending a bit of cash to get the oxidation dealt with, and thought maybe they could either fix me up or tell me what should be done?

Edit- Can I clear coat it myself? If so what would I use lol
It's kinda hard to really tell what's wrong from looking at the pics. My advice is to go to a good body shop and have them take a look at it.

Was the vehicle ever repainted before?

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
As Macman said, kinda hard to tell without touching and "looking with your hands" (some of us do our best seeing in the dark :biggrin: ).

It looks like one of two things (may be both), stone chips, or clear coat over a not fully cleaned original paint.

I have both on my truck, like that when I bought it, I didn't have time last summer to fix it, but I think I will this year.

We have a shop (probably more than one) that specializes in touching up scratches and rock chips. I've seen his work, the finished product is invisible.

Price is based upon labour, of course, but indications are that it is cheaper than a repaint of the area, I'm going to have him inspect it in a couple of weeks and go from there.

Having one of these detail shops look at it might be the way to go.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher