Wife's new to us "work" car

Short Bus

Original poster
Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
My wife just got a better job, but it's about 45 min. away. She has a 2011 Nitro, so we were looking for something a little better on gas. At first we tried looking at $2000 cars :no: then $3000 cars still nothing but POS's $5000, not much better. So we ended up spending $8500, bet got a nice fun in the sun toy instead of a beat up POS

2005 Sebring convertible with 52K

0502120625.jpg


We got it one the 1st, so the mods so far are Plasti-Dipped badges

0508121953.jpg


and a new stereo

0510121808.jpg
 

BO TIE SS

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,497
Nice looking ride. :thumbsup: Is the "Touring" package their version of an "LTZ" with Chevy?
 

JosueLT

Member
Nov 20, 2011
315
Not exactly my idea of a commuter car, but I'm sure she'll enjoy it!

Did you guys trade the Nitro in then?
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
JosueLT said:
Not exactly my idea of a commuter car, but I'm sure she'll enjoy it!
that is kind of what I was thinking.
I think if I was going to get a commuter car I would get a Cavalier. It seems like I see them on CL all the time in good shape for under $3k.
They also seem to run forever.

My sister in law is a postal carrier and she had an early 90's model with over 300k hard miles on it. They named it Lazarus because it kept coming back from the dead.

BTW, that is a nice ride and a big upgrade from a $3k Cavalier!
 

Boricua SS

Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
if its better on gas, then any car would work for me... nice ride Shawn... 52k miles on a '05 is pretty low miles...

and im sure my brother and his wife can vouge for a cavaliers durability HAHA... they had one with about 192,xxx miles, and that puppy was still strong... very reliable...
 

Me007gold

Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,106
Keep an eye on that heater core. When I was working in the rental car industry, we had our fair share of cars that had them pop.
 

ItsOnVoy

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,401
How much better on gas is that car? It is a v6 right? Its nice a cool car and prob nice to have a convertible lol My only thing is how long will a Chrysler last you. There not the strongest cars IMO but has low miles! Nice pick up! :thumbsup:
 

Black_tb

Member
Dec 6, 2011
817
nice car had a 96 dodge avenger which a fun little car to have hope its "good enough" on gas
 

silverunicorn

Member
Dec 4, 2011
327
Congrats on the "new" car!

They are suprisingly good on gas. Is it the V6? We can get 30 MPG if we stay out of the throttle too much. My wife had a 2006, then when that got wrecked and we replaced it with a 2004 that looked almost exactly the same (and alot like yours, LOL). They are fun to drive, and suprisingly quick (at least I think so).

2425101009_babdced2e5.jpg


She loves heres. There is a guy on the Sebring board that sells strut tower braces that do alot for the cowl shake. PM me if you want their info. We got her 2006 new but the 2004 was bought in 2009 with 24K miles on it. Not a problem at all, and now we have 74K on it.

Enjoy the new ride!

Oh and to Bow Tie SS - "Touring" would be like the LT. The "Limited" woudl be like the LTZ


Chris
 

Short Bus

Original poster
Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
JosueLT said:
Not exactly my idea of a commuter car, but I'm sure she'll enjoy it!

Did you guys trade the Nitro in then?

No, the Nitro is her baby

silverunicorn said:
Congrats on the "new" car!

They are suprisingly good on gas. Is it the V6? We can get 30 MPG if we stay out of the throttle too much. My wife had a 2006, then when that got wrecked and we replaced it with a 2004 that looked almost exactly the same (and alot like yours, LOL). They are fun to drive, and suprisingly quick (at least I think so).

2425101009_babdced2e5.jpg


She loves heres. There is a guy on the Sebring board that sells strut tower braces that do alot for the cowl shake. PM me if you want their info. We got her 2006 new but the 2004 was bought in 2009 with 24K miles on it. Not a problem at all, and now we have 74K on it.

Enjoy the new ride!

Oh and to Bow Tie SS - "Touring" would be like the LT. The "Limited" woudl be like the LTZ


Chris

Nice 'bring :thumbsup: Yes it's the 2.7 V6 What Sebring forum are you on? I joind CSCC, Here's my intro thread there

* Chrysler Sebring/200 Convertible Club * • View topic - Short Bus is here!!!

BTW after seeing your pic I think I'm going to delete the front plate holder.

And to everyone else, yes the old cavi 2.2 is bulletproof. This car was just to nice to pass on for the price. Let the gas savings pay for a good part of our new toy :smile:
 

silverunicorn

Member
Dec 4, 2011
327
Short Bus said:
No, the Nitro is her baby



Nice 'bring :thumbsup: Yes it's the 2.7 V6 What Sebring forum are you on? I joind CSCC, Here's my intro thread there

* Chrysler Sebring/200 Convertible Club * • View topic - Short Bus is here!!!

BTW after seeing your pic I think I'm going to delete the front plate holder.

And to everyone else, yes the old cavi 2.2 is bulletproof. This car was just to nice to pass on for the price. Let the gas savings pay for a good part of our new toy :smile:

Yep, that is the forum I am on. I replied :smile:

That is not as busy as here, but you have some VERY knowledgable people there as well.

Enjoy the ride!

Chris
 

tricguy007

Member
Dec 7, 2011
131
2.7l, all I can say change your oil very regulary because they have an issue with oil sludge I've replaced a couple couple because of lack of oil changes
 

MDBT

Member
Jan 26, 2012
223
Chrysler Sebring convertibles are very common as commuter vehicles here in central ohio. I have seen everyone from office assistants to construction workers using them for this purpose. If you're going to have an extra car in the driveway it's worth the marginal drop in MPGs to have something fun. Who really wants a tiny little death trap on the highway anyway?

Not a bad deal, I've seen them advertised for considerably more for similar vintages and mileage.
 

JosueLT

Member
Nov 20, 2011
315
MDBT said:
Who really wants a tiny little death trap on the highway anyway?


And a car that's missing a roof is much more structurally sound and safer than a Cavalier. Hope you don't roll over in one!! :rotfl:
 

MDBT

Member
Jan 26, 2012
223
JosueLT said:
And a car that's missing a roof is much more structurally sound and safer than a Cavalier. Hope you don't roll over in one!! :rotfl:

Cars don't flip like trailblazers do, takes more than a lane change maneuver at 45mph to topple a sebring. Roll overs are rather rare in the relatively frequent occurrence of a two car accident, and if you get t-boned at an intersection you're a lot better off with the sebring convertible from 2005 (3 star rating) than say a chevy cavalier from 2005 (1 star rating). Your kids in the back would be one or two stars safer in the Chrysler convertible too compared to a cavalier sedan or coupe respectively.

But hey, you got your cheap laugh and I got to poke holes in it so all is well. :tongue: :wink:
 

JosueLT

Member
Nov 20, 2011
315
Since when do you get T-boned on the highway though??

MDBT said:
Who really wants a tiny little death trap on the highway anyway?

......was your original statement. You get clipped by some Asian woman in a Corolla making a blind lane change at 70mph, and there's a good chance you're going end over end. :thumbsup:

But, I agree....city driving, the beefed up side stucture wins.
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
52k is really low miles...nice find. Does that car have any sort of stability control system back in 05? As for rollovers being rare. They are a daily occurrence here in mn especially in the winter. Suv's, small cars, large cars, all the time. When my wife rolled here Rainier, I had to get the personal effects from the auction yard and it was loaded with rollovers and for some reason the tiny little Toyota sub compact Yaris was a huge offender for rollovers. The rollovers usually only make it on the news if there is a huge traffic back up or when there are fatalities.
 

Short Bus

Original poster
Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
Here's a couple mods I did to the 'bring this afternoon.....

......deleted the license plate holder......

Before
0512121236.jpg


After
0512121241a.jpg


.....and smoked the tail lights

This is the best I have for before (you can kinda see the tails)
0502120625.jpg


After
0512121354.jpg


0512121354a.jpg


Not bad, for not being buffed yet.

Jkust said:
52k is really low miles...nice find. Does that car have any sort of stability control system back in 05? As for rollovers being rare. They are a daily occurrence here in mn especially in the winter. Suv's, small cars, large cars, all the time. When my wife rolled here Rainier, I had to get the personal effects from the auction yard and it was loaded with rollovers and for some reason the tiny little Toyota sub compact Yaris was a huge offender for rollovers. The rollovers usually only make it on the news if there is a huge traffic back up or when there are fatalities.

No stability control system :smile: I'm not worried about a roll over, it has a low center of gravity and a fairly long wheel base. The Yaris has a higher center of gravity and short wheel base.
 

JosueLT

Member
Nov 20, 2011
315
Niteshades FTW! :wootwoot:
 

Short Bus

Original poster
Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
JosueLT said:
Niteshades FTW! :wootwoot:

Yep, I had some leftover (and clear), so why not? Free mods :wootwoot:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,330
Posts
637,991
Members
18,534
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls