Who else sells Auto Trak II Fluid??

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Would like to change the transfer case fluid today in my '03 Envoy XL, but I cannot find anyone around who sells it. I went to two separate Walmarts yesterday, two Advance Auto's, and one Autozone...nothing. I can't even seem to find it online!

I'll have to wait to go to a dealership to find them tomorrow, unless someone has another suggestion...??

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Royal Purple's Synchro-Max apparently meets the specs but you need to confirm this yourself. I personally would wait until tomorrow but in a pinch it's worth investigating.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Even though RP meets the standards, I think I'll just stick with what's recommended. I'm in no huge hurry, but it would have been nice to get it done today. Thanks though!

Oh well, I'll just have a few beer's and watch footbal instead. Life is sometimes full of tough choices! :biggrin:

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Dealer only item.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Got mine at the local NAPA. It's an independent store, don't know if that makes a difference.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Found it today at a dealership, but not without searching! Luckily, I called...instead driving place-to-place and asking for two quarts of the Auto Trak II Fluid. One dealership (out of 4) had them, and they said they had only two left for retail sale.

I'll be doing both diff's tomorrow, and the trans flush & new filter will be done on Wednesday. Makes me feel a bit better knowing that they're done. My Envoy has 120k on it, and I'm not sure if any of them have ever been changed. I'll know for sure by the end of this week though :biggrin:

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
hockeyman said:
Found it today at a dealership, but not without searching! Luckily, I called...instead driving place-to-place and asking for two quarts of the Auto Trak II Fluid. One dealership (out of 4) had them, and they said they had only two left for retail sale.

I'll be doing both diff's tomorrow, and the trans flush & new filter will be done on Wednesday. Makes me feel a bit better knowing that they're done. My Envoy has 120k on it, and I'm not sure if any of them have ever been changed. I'll know for sure by the end of this week though :biggrin:

You probably already know this but auto track 2 only goes in transfer case and make sure dealer didn't try selling you some crap for 30$ a quart. I went to dealer for same stuff he said its 30 a quart I looked at him asked him how long he's had this job and asked again in a firm manner and he came back with the correct answer of 8 dollars for the bottle of smurf oil. Idiots I swear

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
Instrumental said:
Got mine at the local NAPA. It's an independent store, don't know if that makes a difference.

Yeah independent Napas can sell the dealer fluids corporate napa cannot, but it nice to get a discount on it when you run a napa that services a gm dealer. Lol:cool:

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
jeffro312 said:
You probably already know this but auto track 2 only goes in transfer case and make sure dealer didn't try selling you some crap for 30$ a quart. I went to dealer for same stuff he said its 30 a quart I looked at him asked him how long he's had this job and asked again in a firm manner and he came back with the correct answer of 8 dollars for the bottle of smurf oil. Idiots I swear

Yes, I purchased 2 quarts of Valvoline 75/90 full synthetic fluid for the front diff, and the Track II goes in the rear case.

The bottles I purchased were $9 a quart, but I will definitely check to see if the Track II fluid is Blue before I start draining the old stuff out.

Thanks!

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Just to be sure, the transfer case is in the middle of the truck, drivers door ish. The rear diff is attached to the axle.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Front and rear diffs get the same gear oil. Autotrak only goes in the transfer case which is attached to the transmission, right before the driveshaft.

Just wanted to be sure this was clear because it sounded almost like you were putting the autotrak II in the rear diff but I could be reading wrong :crazy:

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
I tried to confirm this before with him...

Front differential you get to drain and fill inside front driver side wheel well remove tire you will see. This takes the Valvoline gear oil NOT Autotrak 2

Rear differential located between rear wheels takes same gear oil as front differential NOT autotrak 2

Under driver seat you will see another mechanism will have a round motor attached to it right near drain hole. This is your transfer case which DOES use the autotrak 2 only.

To further help always remove fill plug before drain. Once you drain and get stuck and can't get fill plug your in trouble. Fill until level with bottom of fill plug.

Highly suggest some sort of pump. I used a tube on end of gear oil bottle and took forever for gear oil. As for auto track 2 that's easier more watery. Best if raised on lift. Make sure on level surface also

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Okay, I'm still new at all of the 4WD components, so I'll update:
- The front diff, located just behind the driver's wheel got the Valvoline Synthetic oil.
- The Transfer Case (which I accidentally called the Rear Diff) got the Auto Trak Fluid. Once I removed the top Allen Bolt, I checked to make sure the fluid was "somewhat" blue. I then proceeded to remove the lower Allen Bolt to drain, then filled with new Auto Trak Fluid.

Changed both of them today, and had a minor issue getting the auto trak fluid into the transfer case. I should have just bought and used a oil pump, but I thought I could get away without using one. I kinda made a mess, but the fluid is finally where it needs to be and is level at the bottom of the top fill hole.

Transmission filter change w/ all new fluid is getting done tomorrow.

The rear Differential (between the rear wheels) will be changed, but it will have to wait until next spring.

Next projects are to flush/fill the coolant, power steering fluid, then the brake fluid. It may sound stupid, but I like to put all new fluids in a vehicle that has 120k on it. Just makes me feel better. :biggrin:

Don37725

Dec 8, 2011
When calling dealers for auto trac / smurf oil ask for pricing and shop around if more than 1 dealer near you - I am in east TN where the dealers seem to be more honest - I paid about $4 qt for mine and with 2 trucks to maintain I was glad they didn't have rip off pricing

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
How did you get it for $4 per bottle? Yikes. Going rate from all the ones I've checked have been around $8-9 per bottle.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
$4 a bottle?! Wow, I just (literally just got back from the dealer 10min ago) paid $8.75ish each for 2L plus tax. Still cheaper than the Royal Purple diff lube I bought at $20/qt.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Don37725 said:
When calling dealers for auto trac / smurf oil ask for pricing and shop around if more than 1 dealer near you

Actually, I was calling around to see who had it in stock, since I couldn't find it in any local stores.
Prices were all about the same, which was $9 per quart (give or take a few).

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Had the trans flushed & filled with a new filter today. I have to say that it actually feels smoother now and seems to go into gear a bit faster. Maybe it's just all in my head though... Either way, I'm happy it's done.

Tomorrow is a complete brake fluid and a power steering fluid flush. If all goes well, I might change the rear diff (between the rear wheels) fluid too with Valvoline's Synthetic 75w90.

For the brake fluid, I purchased a set of SpeedBleeders today from Autozone, and that will make it easy for me to do by myself. I do have a Mighty-Vac Brake Bleeding Kit, but I've tried the speedbleeders on prior vehicles and I really like them. I can actually flush the system by doing all 4 wheels at once. :cool:

FYI: The threads on the bleeder screws are M10 x 1.0

One thing left will be to flush/fill the coolant system, but I'm not going to try to cram too many things in one day.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Don't want to keep bumping this thread, but I wanted to add that Summitracing also sells Auto Trak 2 Fluid.
The part number on SummitRacing's site is: 88900402

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
hockeyman said:
If all goes well, I might change the rear diff (between the rear wheels) fluid too with Valvoline's Synthetic 75w90.

You should have a drain plug on the 03's rear differential. GM eliminated in later years so the differential cover has to be loosened to drain. If this is the first time servicing some may advise to remove and clean the cover anyway. Up to you. If you're careful the gasket can be reused.
Also insure the fill plug can be removed before draining. It's a PIA to fill thru the drain

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
AbsoluteZero said:
You should have a drain plug on the 03's rear differential. GM eliminated in later years......

I really think it depends on what gears u have. So being an SS I have 4.10 gears and its an 07 and I have the drain bolt on my rear diff. My 06 envoy did not have the rear diff. drain and had the 3.42 gear. Could be wrong.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
AbsoluteZero said:
You should have a drain plug on the 03's rear differential. GM eliminated in later years so the differential cover has to be loosened to drain. If this is the first time servicing some may advise to remove and clean the cover anyway. Up to you. If you're careful the gasket can be reused.
Also insure the fill plug can be removed before draining. It's a PIA to fill thru the drain

I checked the rear diff the other day when I was changing the Transfer Case Fluid. I do have two 3/8" socket ports (drian and fill), and I'm going out to do that today. Didn't get around to it yesterday because the wife and I were busy cooking and getting things ready for Turkey Dinner.

I'm not going to remove the cover to clean it. I know I really should, but I'm going to wait until sometime in the spring or summer to mess with that. For today, it's going to be a fluid change only.

cntinuum

Dec 4, 2011
Here in the NW the Seattle warehouse stocks the part for their commercial accounts. There is no easy way to find this product on the web site.

ACDelco - Transfer Case Fluid
Part # 10-4017
Line: AC
ACDelco 10-4017 - Transfer Case Fluid | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Price was $8.99/liter
Looked all over Portland for it, less the dealerships and found it at my local O'Reilly's 2 miles from me in Vancouver!

Attachments

• ACDelco 10-4017.JPG
    ACDelco 10-4017.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 179

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
Changed my Auto-Trak II about a month ago. Dealership quoted me retail over the phone at 18 for two quarts. Ended up getting it for wholesale in person. 14 for two quarts. Might be worth saying "Any chance I can get that for the wholesale price?", once you get there.:thumbsup:

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
Conner299 said:
Changed my Auto-Trak II about a month ago. Dealership quoted me retail over the phone at 18 for two quarts. Ended up getting it for wholesale in person. 14 for two quarts. Might be worth saying "Any chance I can get that for the wholesale price?", once you get there.:thumbsup:

Or repeatedly visit the same dealer parts dept and get to know the sales guy, lol. My local dealer opened me an account with an auto 20% off list discount, but thats what I get for going in asking for odd parts, lol. Just picked up 2L at 6.72 each

twinners

Jan 8, 2013
Just went to both an Oreilly and NAPA and neither one of them knew what I was talking about. The guy at Oreilly did call a local Chevy dealer and they said it was dealer only. Just great that the web page says yes but the store says ????

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
twinners said:
Just went to both an Oreilly and NAPA and neither one of them knew what I was talking about. The guy at Oreilly did call a local Chevy dealer and they said it was dealer only. Just great that the web page says yes but the store says ????
Dealers lie. Parts store clerks don't know everything. Nothing new under the sun. :wink:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I think what the clerk meant to say is thats its only available from licensed gm parts stores. That would be correct if he said that. You dont have to be a dealer though. Dealing in parts yes, dealing in cars no.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
The enthusiast community generally considers Royal Purple Synchromax to be a superior product to Auto-Trak II which is about $11 at my stealership. Synchromax can be found for $15. Not a whole lot more for piece of mind and only 2 quarts of the stuff.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.