Wheel bearing question

FlyingFischer

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
I was planning a trip to Seattle this weekend(roughly 300 miles) and noticed my passenger front wheel bearing is shot.

My question is will it be safe to drive at highway speeds for 300+ miles? PR should I fix it before I leave?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How do you know it's shot? Noise, or wobble? I would not drive with a wobble (I did for 200 miles to my regret), but noise is usually OK for a while. The IMPORTANT thing to do is check the temperature of the hub by pulling the center cap of the wheel cover (if any) and comparing both sides. If it gets hot like 120-130 degrees, that's very bad. Then you might only have 100 miles left in it before it wobbles.

Be prepared to install one on the trip (buy the new one first) or have good AAA coverage.

FlyingFischer

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
That's what I figured. Just wanted a second opinion. It's got a very slight wobble, and grinds like hell.

I'll just disassemble it tonight and bust it out tomorrow after work. I'll just have to leave a day later.:sadcry:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
FlyingFischer said:
That's what I figured. Just wanted a second opinion. It's got a very slight wobble, and grinds like hell.
:eek: :eek: :eek: I don't scare easily, but the thought of a wheel departing the vehicle gets my attention. Actually, it would probably be retained for a bit by the brake caliper. The calipers were the only things holding my two rear axles in while I limped back to pavement after a rear diff explosion.

FlyingFischer

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
Sam here. I would rather be safe then sorry especially when cruising at 75 in the middle of winter up here.

Thanks for the help Roadie!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIY Professional

Members Online