what years gm suv dont have dod or afm?

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
what years gm suv dont have dod or afm?

I think I’d like a large SUV. I believe the 05 &06 escalade came w/ LQ9 w/ electric cooling fans 345HP 379FT LBs
did other large SUV of this era have the LQ9

I do know how to physically identify the dod, valley cover w/ all the bumps.

I do know how to physically identify the afm, large bump on upper timing chain cover.

1.I’d like to know on paper which SUVs don’t have these problematic dod/afm so I can rule them out of my search?

I’ve read that no 2500+ trucks ever had the dod or afm however I want a SUV not a truck.

2.Not sure if the escalade is a 2500?

Additionally open to suburban/tahoe/Yukon.

3.These vehicles have AWD do they have the front half shafts going though the engine oil pan?

4.Hummer H2 is full time 4wheel drive do they have the front half shafts going though the engine oil pan?

5.Lastly doe’s the 07Hummer H2 have dod/afm?
6.can 05&06 electric cooling fan easely be used on 07 Hummer H2

Comment I did search this title came up w/ how to delete dod/afm

Thanks for any advice

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Only the 5.3 TB and Envoy got it for 05-06. Other trucks got it later. LQ9 never had it. My 2008 L77 6.0 in the Avalanche had it.

BTW, DoD and AFM are the same thing. What you're talking about in the cam chain cover is for the variable cam. When I did the AFM/DoD delete in my 06 Saab, it only had the lifters, no variable cam.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
yeah think I'll avoid anything above 06 avoid the envoy n 97x in favor of a large suv.so do the other large suvsfrom 05&06 suburban/tahoe/Yukon have the LQ9?

my bad I thought the vvt was the cam that works w/ the spring lifters either way don't want any of that new improved crape.

doe’s the 07Hummer H2 have dod/afm? or is it considered a 2500 truck?
thanks
Afm hump on timing chain cover.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The 07-09 6.2L do not have AFM or cylinder deactivation.

09-14 also run on e85. In CA that means fill ups are $85 vs $140 / $160. All Burbs, Tahoe & Yukon w/ 5.3L have AFM except the rare 08/09 Tahoe w/ the 6.2L and 07-09 Yukon Denali with the 6.2L. The 09 Denali & 6.2L Tahoe also run on e85, after that all 6.2L have AFM.

If you’re looking to make room for a bigger family hauler find a 07-09 Denali w/o AFM and the 6.2L that will get you to 300k miles. Almost all have F & R DVD screens, heated seats F & B, tough ez clean leather, separate F & R a/c & heat systems, power fold 2nd row captain or bench seats.

If your area has access to the e85, 09 Tahoe, Denali & Escalade w/o the AFM are the go to find and hunt down. In 09 they offered a 2WD version too.

Owners keep these vehicles for longer than anticipated because they’re stout and reliable for this market segment. Be open to an 07-09 Esky if the price is right. You’ll get f/r cooled a/c seats. The 09 Denali had the option too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I had one with AFM. I just tuned it out and never had a problem after that. 238k when I traded it in.

I still have the tuner sitting on my bench. I removed it when trading the truck in because it was simply going to an auction after that anyway. Not sure what to do with it now that the truck is gone.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's right. Just disable it with a tune or a Range plug in disabler and never fear it again. As long as it's functioning correctly to begin with, you're golden.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
That's right. Just disable it with a tune or a Range plug in disabler and never fear it again. As long as it's functioning correctly to begin with, you're golden.
dam I thought the cam ,valley cover, lfters ect had to be physically swapped. I'll diffenity be studying up on a tune or a Range plug.thanks

09-14 also run on e85. In CA that means fill ups are $85 vs $140 / $160. All Burbs, Tahoe & Yukon w/ 5.3L have AFM except the rare 08/09 Tahoe w/ the 6.2L and 07-09 Yukon Denali with the 6.2L. The 09 Denali & 6.2L Tahoe also run on e85, after that all 6.2L have AFM.

If you’re looking to make room for a bigger family hauler find a 07-09 Denali w/o AFM and the 6.2L that will get you to 300k miles. Almost all have F & R DVD screens, heated seats F & B, tough ez clean leather, separate F & R a/c & heat systems, power fold 2nd row captain or bench seats.

If your area has access to the e85, 09 Tahoe, Denali & Escalade w/o the AFM are the go to find and hunt down. In 09 they offered a 2WD version too.

Owners keep these vehicles for longer than anticipated because they’re stout and reliable for this market segment. Be open to an 07-09 Esky if the price is right. You’ll get f/r cooled a/c seats. The 09 Denali had the option too.

thanks tollkeeper all good infor as usale.
I really wanted a 05-06 escalade short version w/ the LQ9 engine there hard to find w/ lower miles. but thats what I'd like to have

pulled the trigger on a 07Hummer H2 just started a thread on new tow vehicle.

dam whenever I do a multi quote I miss thanking 1 outtof 3 so thanks Sparky for chiming in.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
thanks tollkeeper all good infor as usale.
I really wanted a 05-06 escalade short version w/ the LQ9 engine there hard to find w/ lower miles. but thats what I'd like to have
They are out there..

Theres a 46k mile on autotempest.com right now.. But you are going to pay out the nose at 40k.

The one to find is a 2005-06 Esky Platinum. Rare as hens teeth. But they came with heated and cooled seats, and heated and cooled cup holders. Its what I have been kinda looking for.

The other problem with low mile Esky's are they are always in that champaign color, which doesnt look bad, but is so common!

Yukon Denali's are just as good, better looking in my opinion, and more common

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online

No members online now.