what year engine(s)

Flyersguy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Im getting up there in miles on my tb, and my gas mileage is out of control for a 6cyl. i feel like with the mpg's im getting i should be running a 9sec 1/4 mile. So my options are looking for a new vehicle, i was checking out the canyons and colorado's, 2nd option is maybe just getting a new engine. I had to get a new tranny last year so i figure if i get a new engine ill pretty much have a new vehicle. My question is what year engine will work or fit my tb. Its an 02. I know there a some different parts on my tb such as the MAF which i dont have but other years do. Would that create a problem if i got say an engine from 06? or would it be fine? Thanks in advance.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Engines up to an '06 can be made to work with some sensor harness modifications and a new PCM tune. Scarabepic22 is our expert in that stuff, and his posts on trailvoy are a goldmine of information. Google for the following phrase and you should get an idea how much work it's going to be.

scarabepic22 engine year compatibility site:trailvoy.com

Do you have engine swapping experience, or a mechanic on retainer?

Flyersguy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks for the help! Me engine swap myself? GOD NO! I could only imagine how that would turn out. just the thought makes me :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: and :mad::mad::mad: and :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Then you need a good local independent mechanic in your stable of close friends, and not just us on the anonymous interwebs. :cool:

That's the guy you're going to help put his three kids through dental school.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
I lucked out a couple years ago and got an 02 motor for 600$ for my envoy it was out of a TB with 44k on it and it works great you cant even hear it run, my mechanic friend di the swap for me for 400$ after fluids and paying for the rental truck from uhaul to go pick it ip (dad was outta town so i couldnt use his pickup) i ended up coming out 1200$ total

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Flyersguy, what kind of miles do you have on your TB and what is your gas mileage?
What mods have you done?
I would think it would be cheaper to get better gas mileage out of your TB than to swap engines, I doubt you would ever recover the investment.

Have you changed your Tstat, temp sensor, front 02 sensor and cleaned your throttle body? Those are items that usually get "lazy" and cause problems with the I6 running rich and many times don't throw a code. Other than that driving habits have a huge effect on gas mileage, take off easy and try to stay under 65.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Going to a newer engine wont give you better mileage, you're better off doing a gear swap to 3.42s (cheap if your 2WD, not so much 4WD/AWD), getting a tune, and seeing if those parts navigator mentioned need to be replaced. When the tstats fail, you lose 1-3mpg at least, yes its a PITA to replace, but not that hard and worth the gas mileage. Having a dirty tb doesnt usually kill mileage, but it definitely makes the engine run smoother.

Flyersguy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
navigator said:
Flyersguy, what kind of miles do you have on your TB and what is your gas mileage?
What mods have you done?
I would think it would be cheaper to get better gas mileage out of your TB than to swap engines, I doubt you would ever recover the investment.

Have you changed your Tstat, temp sensor, front 02 sensor and cleaned your throttle body? Those are items that usually get "lazy" and cause problems with the I6 running rich and many times don't throw a code. Other than that driving habits have a huge effect on gas mileage, take off easy and try to stay under 65.

i put a new tstat in maybe 3 years ago. i have an 02 sensor but had 2 shops tell me its stuck in there (upstrem 02) and chances are they will damage the pipe that it is on....the y-pipe i believe. it has a new trans about 10k miles ago. I have cleaned the TB twice in the past 70k engine has 160,000 and counting.

ScarabEpic22 said:
Going to a newer engine wont give you better mileage, you're better off doing a gear swap to 3.42s (cheap if your 2WD, not so much 4WD/AWD), getting a tune, and seeing if those parts navigator mentioned need to be replaced. When the tstats fail, you lose 1-3mpg at least, yes its a PITA to replace, but not that hard and worth the gas mileage. Having a dirty tb doesnt usually kill mileage, but it definitely makes the engine run smoother.

i go from full tank to when my light comes on and get from 195-205 miles per tank. 200 average over the past several months @ 16 gallons = 12.5 mpg.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Is that all city driving? Thats what I got in my 02 I6 3.73s 4WD around town when it was stock height and/or lowered (worse now with the lift).

Flyersguy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
city and highway. stock ride, wheels, engine. only thing i have is a system in it which adds a 200 lbs.

Flyersguy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
navigator said:
What mods have you done?

Just to add. i did try driving normal for a few weeks.........not only was it boring and take me forever to get to where i was going, it wasnt much better on gas. i think i got 210 miles to a tank, instead of the 195-205 i was getting.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Flyersguy said:
city and highway. stock ride, wheels, engine. only thing i have is a system in it which adds a 200 lbs.

If the old adage still holds true, that 200 lbs. cost you 2-3 MPG's.

I agree with navigator.

As long as the engine checks out mechanically, replace the parts he suggested before replacing the engine. If all else fails, those parts can be changed over to a different engine.

Also, the upper O2 sensor is in the exhaust manifold.

Flyersguy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Im not 100% sure what im doing yet. Either a new engine or new parts or a new vehicle most likely a truck. and 100% it will be a Chevy or GMC! none of the dodge or ford junk!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online