What vehicle next?

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I've been driving an 03 Trailblazer as my daily for 8 years now, we're shopping for something new. We're looking for similar characteristics, although I know body on frame isn't really an option anymore, which is fine.

We're looking at the 11-15-ish years/price point, and we're still looking for the larger SUV that isn't a full size.

The Acadia is one we'd look at but the 2nd row captain chair/buckets are a deal breaker for personal reasons.

We drove the in-law's 2011 Explorer limited a number of times and loved the space. They now have a 2016 that doesn't seem nearly as roomy, does anyone know when that changed?

Gonna go look at Grand Cherokee and Pathfinder today. Don't like the look of the Traverse or Durango. Are there any other makes/models we should be looking at?

The reason I posted this in the TB section is that we've loved my Trailblazer, and we're looking for a lot of the same style characteristics, but better road safety, mileage, features etc.

Also the vehicle needs to be mud and snow capable due to where we live. It's not muddy all the time, but when it is it's nasty.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Buick Enclave and the GMC Acadia are at the top of my lists, you just have to be religious with transmission services.

A rear bench is available on the Acadial, although the captains chairs are more common.. I really like the HUD, and some of the other appointments. The Traverse and Acadia and Enclave are all the same vehicle.

Bench Acadia here on ebay for reference...
eBay Acadia SLT

The Enclave also has the option for rear bench, but they are extremely rare (I couldnt find one, but I have rented one before).

I also like the Hyundai Veracruz for interior appointments and comfort. But they kinda look odd/off.

Another to look at would be a Subaru Tribeca. They are coming down in price, and are actually a really good truck. I owned one previously, and i abused the hell out of that truck (It was a lease), and the truck never even had a service engine light that wasnt my fault (I thought it was an E85 car).

The Explorer is a truck that you only buy if you know for a FACT the water pump has been replaced. The 3.5 and 3.7 (in all variants) are really bad about having the water pump fail about 80-100k, and its an internal water pump. Replacement for the pump is 2400-New Engine (depending on how fast you catch it). Same with the Lincoln counterparts with this engine.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moved to off-topic as you are not looking to buy another TB.

Reactions: PProph

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Gonna go look at Grand Cherokee and Pathfinder today. Don't like the look of the Traverse or Durango. Are there any other makes/models we should be looking at?
I recently jumped ship for the same reasons (vehicle age and tech upgrade). The closest thing I could find to match my 07 Envoy Denali 5.3 was a Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7. The Durango only comes with LWB 3rd row seating and In didn't need that. I am so far very impressed with the Jeep, I am averaging 18-19mpg with 360 hp on tap.
My wife has had great luck with her last two Equinox AWDs (one a 4 cyl the other a 6) but, I hate the transmissions that they put in these, they kind of ooze into gear changes and this is even more apparent after driving the Jeep with the ZF-8 speed said to be the best auto out there now.
If you do like the GC after the test ride I would advise you to get the Hemi, the 6cyl. is said to be good but, uses the aptly named A.S.S system (auto stop start).

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Might look at a Tribeca, thanks for all the suggestions. Funny thing is we were at a Subaru dealership looking at one of the Grand Cherokees and when I brought up the Tribeca the guy didn't think it would fit what we're after.

Regarding the Acadia, would it be a big job to replace the buckets with a bench? Or is it even possible? I really would like to look at some but the Captains Chairs are a complete non-starter due to a traumatic event for the Mrs. She's also not a fan of the red lighting in the displays.

Checked out a couple Grand Cherokees today (12 + 14), they aren't as roomy as I hoped. Quite like the style and look, and obviously the capability, but roomy is a big requirement.

My brother has an Equinox, but they're also too small for us. Considered maybe looking at a Terrain if only because we like the boxier style/aesthetic, but it will likely also be too small.

The in-laws had a Vera Cruz, too many quirks for my liking, and I've known a few people who've had real lemons from Hyundai so we've steered away from their line-up.

The Explorer has been the roomiest thing we've sat in (though the 2011 was by far the roomiest), maybe because it's a little wider a vehicle? It's also what we're the most familiar with, but not necessarily what we like the best.

I'll keep on looking though.

Reactions: northcreek

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online