What Time is it 12:64 Radio does not work

cntinuum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have a 1992 GMC C2500. It doesn't get driven much. I got in it today and the radio is displaying 12:64. I hit the power button and it shows my favorite radiostation and the volume I normally have it it. There is no sound. Most of the buttons don't work.
AM/FM - nothing
Seek - nothing
Scan - nothing
Program buttons - nothing
Volume - nothing
Balance, fade, buttons display and do something

I pulled the RDO fuse to see if this would reset the display(yes I checked to see if the display was blank). It didn't change anything.
I am guessing a time of 12:64 is an error message since it is an invalid time.
Any ideas how to get the radio to function again?
Thanks,
-Dave

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
For under $100 you could get a cheap aftermarket head unit, the wiring harness and the dash trim pieces needed for install. Would give you more options like CD/MP3, XM etc. You say its rarely driven so a cheap head unit should be a decent replacement.

[video=youtube;gk6BWdmxXx8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk6BWdmxXx8[/video]

From what I could find its a very common problem and the common solution is to either replace the silver box? or send it in for repair. Not a lot of information on it. It seems more people just add the aftermarket deck and either find something else to use the space for the factory radio (upper part), or leave it.

cntinuum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking for many hours over many weeks and came up empty handed. It seems the eBay sellers are very proud of pulled parts. Head units for $75+ and radio and head units for $175+. Guess they haven't checked PicknPull prices, they are $14.99! I think I will try that first. If I was going to spend $100, I would get a bench seat that was in good shape.
Thanks again.
-Dave

cntinuum

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Pulled the radio out to get the numbers off of it and went to PicknPull today and got another with the same number. Solved the problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online