What rear differential do I have?

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Ok my trailblazer is an'08. From what I have found online so far indicates that they only used the 8.0" rear diff up to '06 and the 8.6" in everything from '06-'09. Is this correct?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
The way I understand it is the SWB models have the 8.0, LWB models have the 8.6, and the SS has the 9.5. I don't know if the V8 SWB models have the 8.6 or not. I didn't know there was a year change for the SWB I6.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
gmcman said:
The way I understand it is the SWB models have the 8.0, LWB models have the 8.6, and the SS has the 9.5. I don't know if the V8 SWB models have the 8.6 or not. I didn't know there was a year change for the SWB I6.

Good info, just trying to find a locker or posi lock kit if I do in fact have the 8.0" though im starting to think I may need to go looking for a used 8.6"

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The SWB 4.2 comes with an 8" rear end. 5.3 SWB and XLs come with the 8.6. The G80 is about all you can get for the 8" but there are a bunch for the 8.6". You have to get the 06 or newer to just swap things out. The older ones do not have the same anti lock nor the stabil-trak in them.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
djthumper said:
The SWB 4.2 comes with an 8" rear end. 5.3 SWB and XLs come with the 8.6. The G80 is about all you can get for the 8" but there are a bunch for the 8.6". You have to get the 06 or newer to just swap things out. The older ones do not have the same anti lock nor the stabil-trak in them.

well you could get an older one, you would just have warning lights because the sensors would be missing and your stabilitrac wouldnt work.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I seen a part number for the Detroit truetrac diff for the 8.0"...would that work?

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
I seen a part number for the Detroit truetrac diff for the 8.0"...would that work?

I have no idea, but that's a sweet locker from what i've read.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
DDonnie said:
I have no idea, but that's a sweet locker from what i've read.

I will def need to research it a bit more. From what I seen earlier I think the spline count and shaft diameter match.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
It may work, it says it is for a 28-spline.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:

If there's one for the 8.0 I would be all over it. When I need to overhaul mine that's what's going in it. If you're pulling it all out and plan on keeping it, I would do a complete overhaul...pinion bearings, ring & pinion, seals the works.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
djthumper said:
It may work, it says it is for a 28-spline.

Thats what im thinking...prob intended for the s10s the gmt360s replaced.

gmcman said:
If there's one for the 8.0 I would be all over it. When I need to overhaul mine that's what's going in it. If you're pulling it all out and plan on keeping it, I would do a complete overhaul...pinion bearings, ring & pinion, seals the works.

Im thinking the same thing

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I probably would have been all over it if it was confirmed a long time ago. I want a locker and not the G80.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
djthumper said:
I probably would have been all over it if it was confirmed a long time ago. I want a locker and not the G80.

I'm going to do more research on it and contact eaton closer to when im ready to order one to get final confirmation before ordering one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online