What oil are you running?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Follow the Oil Life Monitor. Or yearly, if the OLM doesnt light -up.

I don't have oil life monitor and drive 30,000 miles a year. You sure that is ok?

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Anyone have comparisons between amsoil and valvoline full synthetics? I ran valvoline in my last car for 23 years and was extremely pleased with it overall. I'd like to go to full-syn in my TB and I'd be interested in any opinions between the two.

Another question along this line is the filter... Are the fram filters with teflon additive compatible with synthetic oil? Is there any possible down-side to using them even though I'm still at low mileage (70k)?

I'm currently running valvoline dino in the engine and transmission, and amsoil synthetic in front & rear diffs. My mileage has gone up by about 0.7mpg since switching to the amsoil in August, and my driving is about 90% in-town, so that's seems pretty significant to me.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Oil; Mobil 1 5W30 (If they have the truck/suv version that's what I get), Filter; ACDelco PF-61E. I will be sending my oil into blackstone and I will post the results.
View attachment 17142

Attachments

• 98hm70.jpg
    98hm70.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 80

WhiteTB

Nov 22, 2011
Full Synthetic Mobil 1 with a Mobile 1 filter

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
HARDTRAILZ said:
I don't have oil life monitor and drive 30,000 miles a year. You sure that is ok?

As I understand it we all have the OLM, it's just those with a DIC can actually see the percentage of life left.

Without the DIC, the OLM should be reset as stated in the owners manual when the is oil changed. Then you should still be able to go by the monitor for the next oil change or the yearly change.

This is from the 2003 owners manual: If the system is ever reset accidentally, you must change your oil at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since your
last oil change.

The only caveat would be if you drive in dusty conditions. I'm not sure what the recommended interval is for that.

On a side note: This should probably go into a new thread.

Some thing like "When should I change my oil".

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Wooluf1952 said:
As I understand it we all have the OLM, it's just those with a DIC can actually see the percentage of life left.

Without the DIC, the OLM should be reset as stated in the owners manual when the is oil changed. Then you should still be able to go by the monitor for the next oil change or the yearly change.

This is from the 2003 owners manual: If the system is ever reset accidentally, you must change your oil at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since your
last oil change.

The only caveat would be if you drive in dusty conditions. I'm not sure what the recommended interval is for that.

On a side note: This should probably go into a new thread.

Some thing like "When should I change my oil".

I nominate you to start it. If I have an OLM it has never gone off and I have not reset it.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
tblazerdude said:
I will be sending my oil into blackstone and I will post the results.

That would be awesome...would be cool to see the different (?) results of our engines.

Tofer76

Dec 8, 2011
dont know if any of you knew this but the microguard filters at oriellys are made by fram and their house brand oil is made by mobil
also the k&n filters are the same filter as mobil1 just have a nut welded on

i am concidering using a syn blend to see if i will develop any leaks before switching to full synth as i hear alot about leaks starting after switching

but always use wix filters

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Amsoil 0w30 signature series EA filter, since I switched the TB to it I don't burn oil and my throttle body hardly ever needs to be cleaned. I run amsoil products bumper to bumper now and love it.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tofer76 said:
dont know if any of you knew this but the microguard filters at oriellys are made by fram and their house brand oil is made by mobil
also the k&n filters are the same filter as mobil1 just have a nut welded on

i am concidering using a syn blend to see if i will develop any leaks before switching to full synth as i hear alot about leaks starting after switching

but always use wix filters

With the new synthetics, that is no longer a problem.

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
In their own right synthetic oils will do a great job cleaning your engine and they may clean sludge off that's hiding a leak. As i understand it formulation changes were made after they first came out to better condition older seals. If you've kept up with oil changes and used decent quality oil (not the motor oil/deep fryer combo stuff :biggrin:) you shouldn't have any problems. I switched my Envoy to Amsoil OE at 67000 without a problem. The engine feels much smoother now.

bore_pig

Nov 25, 2011
smitty5150 said:
Canola

Castrol high mileage, 10w30. Doesn't hurt to be a little more viscous when you're at 140k...

It was in a different application, but I used valvoline high mileage oil in a 1998 K1500 w/350 V8 and it plugged a lifter after three oil changes. This makes me think high mileage oils leave a lot of deposits in your engine. I would suggest frequent engine flushes.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online