What is this ?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Ok i did a google search and dont know what it is and i can't get it to unscrew ???:sadcry:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354822468473.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354822468473.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 30

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I'm assuming you don't have the factory trailer hitch? The pictured part is where the OEM plug would be for trailer lights.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Ghost said:
Ok i did a google search and dont know what it is and i can't get it to unscrew ???:sadcry:

Maybe theres a trailer wire plug in under the cap. looks about the right size for 4 prong flat plug?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Heck yea i have a trailor hitch !!!!! Ok how does the plug come off ?? I want to buy a hitch step with leds to plug in but can't get the cap off i think its time for a hammer
[video=youtube;OIh78GiTqrE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIh78GiTqrE&sns=em[/video]

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Are there any wires connected to it on the back?
IIRC, the SS TB's came with the trailer connector tied-up to the wire loom, to be pulled down to use if needed.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Ghost said:
Ok how does the plug come off ??
I would say, the center piece turns 1/4 turn, releasing the center piece. I think you will find there is a set of butterfly wings on the inside that would look like the outside set (probably a little smaller). The inside wings are 90 deg to the outside and in the "locked" position (as it is now) the opening for the inside wings is covered by the outside wings. I think, to unlock, you will have to push in the plastic pin that is at 8:00 o'clock.

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
The front piece is more like a dust cover. to get access to the plug, you have to pull it out from the back of that unit. I cant remember if it turns then pulls out or just pulls out.
View attachment 24432
Not my truck

Attachments

• Tplug2small.jpg
    Tplug2small.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 110

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
I'm assuming you don't have the factory trailer hitch? The pictured part is where the OEM plug would be for trailer lights.

I might be wrong but I thought ALL tbs and envoy's had tow pkg from the factory.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Ok yup there is a huge wire harness behind it. Ill try to unscrew it in a bit.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I thought all the GMT360s had the flip door on the trailer plug... Weird.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Sparky said:
I thought all the GMT360s had the flip door on the trailer plug... Weird.

03 tb ext ls. Is a GMT360 Right ?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Ghost said:
03 tb ext ls. Is a GMT360 Right ?

No, it's a GMT370.

360 = SWB

370 = LWB

That being said, my EXT has the flip door.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Short Bus said:
That being said, my EXT has the flip door.
So did my '05 XL, and that being said, haha, in the pics on the 1st posts, I don't see the hitch frame that should be below the bumper and blocking the view of the spare.

The OP said he has a hitch, is it orig, or after market?

What is confusing, to me, is that I also thought the trucks came with factory hitches.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
RayVoy said:
So did my '05 XL, and that being said, haha, in the pics on the 1st posts, I don't see the hitch frame that should be below the bumper and blocking the view of the spare.

The OP said he has a hitch, is it orig, or after market?

What is confusing, to me, is that I also thought the trucks came with factory hitches.

Stand by. Ill have a pic of the whole hitch tmrw morning.:biggrin:

CaptainXL said:
I don't see a hitch either. Was it deleted or a rental?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I had the same thing, had a hell of a time getting it off too. I just cut the cover off (back after I first bought the truck and before I joined TV) and pulled the harness out. You need an adapter to the 7 pin female, which I did not have. I cut the piece off and wired one of the universal 7 pin harnesses and mounted the flip door to the existing hole. The rental TB's have the hitch, do not think I have ever seen one without except the SS.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
willn513 said:
SS definitely DO have hitches.

Should rephrase my post, except a few SS's. I have seen 3 here in town with no hitch, they did not have covers. My guess is removed. With the exception of those few I have never seen a GMT 360 in my area without a hitch.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Ghost said:

In your picture from the first post, there is a small square hole between 8 and 9 O'clock, push that tab in and turn.

The factory trailer plug with flip-open cover unlocks the same way for replacement. I had to replace mine and found it on Amazon last year.

You can add the factory plug and purchase a 4-way adapter for your lights.

Update:
...Just like it says in post #6

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Here is the whole bumper
ugahysur.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah the hitch is part of the frame, not like anyone could remove it. That plug is in the right place too, just the cover is really weird.

Look at that though... NO rust. *envy*

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sparky said:
Yeah the hitch is part of the frame, not like anyone could remove it.
Ummmmmmm, after the bumper cover is off, it's only six bolts and the hitch subassembly comes right off. :thumbsup: It's not welded to the frame, really. :wink: I took mine off for measurements even before I cut off the trashcan, and that was a LONG time ago:

rearbumpermount02.jpg

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Ummmmmmm, after the bumper cover is off, it's only six bolts and the hitch subassembly comes right off.

I would like to remove mine this winter so i can sandblast and repaint. The winters over here corrode stuff so bad I feel like I want to paint all the underside with linex or something.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Sparky said:
Yeah the hitch is part of the frame, not like anyone could remove it. That plug is in the right place too, just the cover is really weird.

Look at that though... NO rust. *envy*

I live one mile from the ocean maybe a little less yup no rust. Rust = bad :smile:

So what is the plug called because i think ill have to get an adapter to plug in since the led step uses the 4 plug flat terminal ?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Ummmmmmm, after the bumper cover is off, it's only six bolts and the hitch subassembly comes right off. :thumbsup: It's not welded to the frame, really. :wink: I took mine off for measurements even before I cut off the trashcan, and that was a LONG time ago:

Oh news to me. I thought it was welded to the frame. Derp :dunce:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Hopkins Manufacturing 47355 - Adapter | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Ghost said:
I live one mile from the ocean maybe a little less yup no rust. Rust = bad :smile:

So what is the plug called because i think ill have to get an adapter to plug in since the led step uses the 4 plug flat terminal ?

google is your friend. I looked up chevy to flat trailer plug adapter.

your mileage may vary.

probably want to look at the connector and verify.

I picked up an adapter someplace, have it in the TB compartment with a two inch ball on a square hitch, just in case I have an urge to tow something. they should have a rack full at wal mart, the local auto parts store or a Uhaul shop.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online