What is stock exhaust size on the i6?

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I got under and tried to measure and got 2.5" from cat to tail pipe but have read different things on here, just seeing if this is right or am I measuring wrong, also I am asking for suggestions on muffler choices, I want to stay quiet, my last two cars were as loud as they could get and I'm enjoying the peace, but I want a little rumble when i step on it, I'm leaning towards a 22" magnaflow with a glasspack behind it

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
its been a couple months since I did my exhaust, but i remember it being slightly bigger then 2.5"... i think it was like 2.75" or something. I have a hooker areochamber single 3" inlet and dual 2.25" out. Its probably too loud for what your wanting. Its not in-your-face loud, but its defiantly not quiet either.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
ksimm92 said:
its been a couple months since I did my exhaust, but i remember it being slightly bigger then 2.5"... i think it was like 2.75" or something. I have a hooker areochamber single 3" inlet and dual 2.25" out. Its probably too loud for what your wanting. Its not in-your-face loud, but its defiantly not quiet either.

I'll have to get under there again tomorrow and double check before I start looking up mufflers. I really am wanting close to stock but maybe a small amount louder/deeper, and drone I am really wanting to avoid which I realize is an impossibility with any aftermarket exhaust but as much reduction as possible

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I have a magnaflow, and the older I get the louder it gets, lol. (Don't buy a magnaflow if you want quiet)

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
tblazerdude said:
I have a magnaflow, and the older I get the louder it gets, lol. (Don't buy a magnaflow if you want quiet)

See that's what I was afraid of, because I used a glasspack on my first car and it got louder as I blew the fiberglass out of the tailpipe over time but I'm worried the flowmaster will be too loud and have too much drone, I just am not sure which direction to head since my opinion has always been that SUVs shouldn't have loud exhausts but I just want a nice tone every once in a while that isn't over bearing when I don't want it to be

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
tblazerdude said:
and the older I get the louder it gets

I agree, mine has gotten louder as well. there is also significant drone, less then my old flowmaster though

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Stock piping is 2.75. However, the stock muffler has so many baffles it is much more restrictive than any 2.75 inch piping. This means only go with a 2.5 inch muffler if its a straight through design, although if you go baffled, you might be able to get away with 3 inch without losing much low end. Straight through will drone, I needed two resonators to bring the drone down but it is still present, just at a decently low volume.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
IIRC it's 3" from the muffler forward and 2.75 from the muffler back. It sounds like deleting the resonator would work for you. You can chop it off and call it done or add a pipe and tip.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
jrSS said:
Just straight pipe it like I did..who needs a muffler????

The mustang I traded in on my truck had straight pipes...girlfriend couldn't stand it, neighbors hated me, parents fought it the whole time I had them...but that's not why I traded it

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Short Bus said:
IIRC it's 3" from the muffler forward and 2.75 from the muffler back. It sounds like deleting the resonator would work for you. You can chop it off and call it done or add a pipe and tip.

I did think of that I just know that my muffler is leaking at the seams and I figured I'd just go to the shop once and was just seeing if I could find something that would flow better then the stock muffler

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
ksimm92 said:

I straight Piped it never had drone that was bad to me. Then I found like a small glasspack type muffler and put that on, drone wasn't bad. Now I have a Thrush Welded muffler on and Its not drony and its too quite for me :/ If I had it my way It would be straight piped but neighbors allready called when it was straihgt piped and my parents didn't like it either....

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Cable810 said:
I straight Piped it never had drone that was bad to me. Then I found like a small glasspack type muffler and put that on, drone wasn't bad. Now I have a Thrush Welded muffler on and Its not drony and its too quite for me :/ If I had it my way It would be straight piped but neighbors allready called when it was straihgt piped and my parents didn't like it either....

The other option I was toying with was a flowmaster 50 delta flow with a glasspack behind it, how close to stock do you think it sounds?

WishinforanSS

Jun 13, 2012
blackout51 said:
The other option I was toying with was a flowmaster 50 delta flow with a glasspack behind it, how close to stock do you think it sounds?

do this and post a video lol. i have wondered the same myself

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
blackout, check thrush mufflers. The poster above has one, and their whole concept is higher performance flow with less noise. Seems like what you want. (Now I think I want one too.) Anyone want my Magnaflow?

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
tblazerdude said:
blackout, check thrush mufflers. The poster above has one, and their whole concept is higher performance flow with less noise. Seems like what you want. (Now I think I want one too.) Anyone want my Magnaflow?

Isn't the thrush welded just like the flowmaster 40 series though? I have considered the thrush turbo but am not to sure. I just have listened to a few flowmaster 50 videos and I like the sound a lot just want it toned down some

- - - Updated - - -

WishinforanSS said:
do this and post a video lol. i have wondered the same myself

I will deffinitely post a video with what I choose, I just don't know what exactly it'll be yet

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online