What fluid to change first- transfer case or front diff

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Neither of them have ever been touched. I'm at 104,000 miles now, I'm planning on doing one this weekend- just wanted to see what is recommended first- thanks guys!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely the transfer case. It has a much shorter service interval and is more sensitive than the diff.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
x2 on the transfer case. Technically the case is 54k overdue, while the diff is only 4k overdue.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And for fun, read the Owner's Manual cover to cover just to get familiar with it. I have to assume you recently bought the vehicle, because we always recommend a total fluid change for a used vehicle if you didn't get meticulous service records with it. The cost of fixing a transfer case failure is a lot more than a rear diff.

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Transfer case it is! And yes roadie I got it in the spring- the fact that I'm still I'm highschool means my funds are a bit limited- but I'm doing my best to keep up to date with all the maintenance and take good care of the truck
Thanks for the support guys:wink:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I know you mentioned T-case and front diff, but I assume you will tackle the rear diff as well.

Just make extra darn sure you pull the fill plug first before you drain it. You can fill through the vent tube above the rear diff in a pinch if yours has one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online