weird problem with turn signal

freddyTB

Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hey everyone I have a 2002 Trailblazer LS, I just notice yesterday that when i turn on my turn signal right or left the other side lights up but its dim also the front side marker doesnt come on with the times on. Then when i turn on the hazers the front marker doesnt light up too just the bottom bulb lights up and the rear.

so i did a little research and some people say it's a flasher problem. I went to go get a flasher but it didnt fix it. I just a few grounds and it seems ok, i didnt go farther because it cold outside. But if anyone has some ideas please let me know.

thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome, but MAN it would be easier to help you if we could follow your sentences easier. :confused:

You said "I just a few grounds and it seems ok,"

So what's the problem if it seems ok now, and just WHAT did you do to WHICH grounds where and when?

Are you posting from a phone without proofreading? Please don't. :frown:

freddyTB

Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Sorry about that.what I did was change the turn signal flasher but it didn't change anything. So I check some grounds and everything looks ok.

freddyTB

Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
When I turn on the left turn signal the right side signal turns on to but its real dim. Or when I turn the right turn signal the left side comes on but dim and its only in the front. everything in the back is working fine.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Do you have any lamps changed to LEDs with load resistors installed? Anything plugged into the trailer connector like a light bar? Was the behavior exactly the same before you changed the flasher module? Do you have an accurate meter to check what voltage is going to the dim lamps when they should not be on? When the alternate side is on dim, is it steady dim or flashing at the same rate as the side that should be flashing?

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I have seen this on other vehicles. If all your lights are stock, it could also be multiple burned-out bulbs that sometime cause weird electrical paths back to very unexpected places.

Unlike The Roadie who knows this stuff like the back of his hand, electricity to me is one great big delightful black box and is as mysterious to me as trying to understand women.

On the other hand, I have experienced many issues over the years and found ways to solve them. (The electrical kind; not the women kind. The understanding women issues will never get solved.)

freddyTB

Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
it was a blown fuse in the back fuse box, it acts as a ground for the front turn signals

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Which fuse was it? I'd be interested to see what opened circuit allowed the front turn signals
to go to ground incorrectly.

Glad you found the problem!

Cheers-

Chris

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Fascinating. The fuse is on the high side (12V) for the marker and parking lamps, since fuses are normally never put in the ground side of any circuit. But I can see how the inadvertent connection was made. It has to do with how the marker lamp normally flashes OPPOSITE to the way the turn signal goes. It was dim because two lamps were in series, not getting full power. Very odd. Thanks for the report.

freddyTB

Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
i dont know maybe i did something to blow it out or it was just old and it gave up. but everything is still working so there isnt a short somewhere.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54